WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Obsessed...very obsessed

Hi all...hope the day finds you well. I hiked from Kent, CT to Bear Mt., NY this past July w/ my son and some Boy Scouts from our troop here in MI. We had a fabulous time, although water was an issue one evening. I immediately fell in love with the AT and everything about it. After talking to some NOBO's (we were heading south) and listening to their experiences and all the up and downs they have been through, I decided to add a thru-hike to my bucket list, so to say. Problem is, I more than likely will not be able to do this until retirement, which is about 20 years out. However, I am OBSESSED with everything AT...reading blogs, journals, watching YouTube videos, spending hours reading threads here, etc. Does anyone else have this same problem as me??? What do you do to help this addiction?

Images

Do what many others in your situation have done. Start section hiking the AT.
    My wife and I go out most summers and do another short section of the trail.
    So far we've hiked between 900 and a 1000 miles, leaving just over 1/2 the trail until we're 2000 milers.
    We may, or may not, thru hike some day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Same boat I'm in and the advice below is what we're doing. Also, putzing with UL gear, stoves, and techniques is another fun passtime for me. My wife thinks l'm nuts for cooking morning breakfast and evening coffee at home on an alcohol burner.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Do what many others in your situation have done. Start section hiking the AT.
    My wife and I go out most summers and do another short section of the trail.
    So far we've hiked between 900 and a 1000 miles, leaving just over 1/2 the trail until we're 2000 milers.
    We may, or may not, thru hike some day.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Get a copy of the strip map and maybe a data book and start planning section hikes. "Adopt" a few thru hikers on trail journals by reading their journals. GO back a year or two and find completed hikers and read through their forums. Plan a week long section hike and repeat, two or three weeks a year.

It's not the AT for me...it's been the CT for almost 15 years...and next year is the year..

As to what to do about an obsession with hiking/backpacking and the AT...I spend more than half my work day here!

I would also suggest that instead of dwelling completely on the AT, learn to love backpacking in general and discover all kinds of trails of all kinds of lengths to all kinds of beautiful places requiring much shorter time commitments and smaller financial commitments. Then, you will continue to dream about the AT for the next 20 years while you learn to backpack better and further and faster with more joy, more fun, greater finesse and insight learned from all the other wonderful trails you explore while dreaming about the AT . . . in the end, I suspect the AT may become little more than another trail that may, or may not remain on the top of your bucket list. . . there is so much out there to do and see, and the AT, although having lots of culture and history is not the longest, the oldest, the most traveled, the most beautiful, the most challenging, the most remote, or the most anything. But, it is a great trail and a great dream.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Sorry, was there a problem in there?

Journal Entries
    Images

I am deffinitly hooked on the AT. But I plan to do a few shorter trails next summer. Either the CT or colligate loop gotta see where my life is in July.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Living here in MI, I have the opportunity to hike many beautiful areas of the state. The NCT is very close to me and we have numerous state and federal lands with tons of trail systems. I have a had the pleasure of being able to experience many of these pleasures MI has to offer. Our Boy Scout troop does a half dozen or so backpacking trips throughout the state of varying distance, and we decided to head and do the section on AT for a few days. Needless to say, I became addicted to evrything thru-hike. The struggles, the personal accomplishments, the people, the beautiful land, etc intrigue the hell out of me. My wife thinks I'm batty for considering this, although she knows in the back of her head that my mind is made up and a thru-hike will be attempted.

Journal Entries
    Images

smcahill: You create your destiny. Start by getting to know all of the trails within 100 miles of you. Hike them and get to love them. Find your nearest (or most active) hiking club and join it. Do some day hikes and weekenders. Learn what you need to, and make some lifelong friends. Then start selling the proposal to your employer. A couple of years out, maybe three or four...I wanna thru hike the AT. I'll need to take a leave of absence, but I want your support. Start putting money aside (check out Acorns.com) and build up the momentum. You got this.

Quote Originally Posted by smcahill View Post
    Hi all...hope the day finds you well. I hiked from Kent, CT to Bear Mt., NY this past July w/ my son and some Boy Scouts from our troop here in MI. We had a fabulous time, although water was an issue one evening. I immediately fell in love with the AT and everything about it. After talking to some NOBO's (we were heading south) and listening to their experiences and all the up and downs they have been through, I decided to add a thru-hike to my bucket list, so to say. Problem is, I more than likely will not be able to do this until retirement, which is about 20 years out. However, I am OBSESSED with everything AT...reading blogs, journals, watching YouTube videos, spending hours reading threads here, etc. Does anyone else have this same problem as me??? What do you do to help this addiction?

Living here in MI, I have the opportunity to hike many beautiful areas of the state. The NCT is very close to me and we have numerous state and federal lands with tons of trail systems. I have a had the pleasure of being able to experience many of these pleasures MI has to offer. Our Boy Scout troop does a half dozen or so backpacking trips throughout the state of varying distance, and we decided to head and do the section on AT for a few days. Needless to say, I became addicted to evrything thru-hike. The struggles, the personal accomplishments, the people, the beautiful land, etc intrigue the hell out of me. My wife thinks I'm batty for considering this, although she knows in the back of her head that my mind is made up and a thru-hike will be attempted.
    I see you're near grand rapids. I'm there for a couple days nov 12. Any good hikes around that area? My fiance has some family there and I struggle to find much in MI (other than the far north) that entices me. We went to muskegon state park for a day last time we visited and that was pretty good

Journal Entries
    Images

The AT will remain at the top of my bucket list until I've thru'd. It isn't just the hike. It's the people, the living, breathing, morphing, snaking across Appalachia incognito with your wits and a bottle of water...the trail towns and the people, the history and the prognostications of the future, the distant dreams of ascending Katahdin in the fog and crying that it's over...it's a million things and more that I will accomplish on a budget or on the lam, like Grandma Gatewood or like the recent college grad at the end of his university apartment lease with six months before committing to a career...the AT isn't a pipe dream for some people like me. It is a concrete goal that we're actively planning for, and building up to, and striking up friendships over...sigh....I'll get off my high horse. Nobody going to carry my boots up the AT like Paul's Boots as cool as that is. Whether I'm 53 when I do it or 67...it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I would also suggest that instead of dwelling completely on the AT, learn to love backpacking in general and discover all kinds of trails of all kinds of lengths to all kinds of beautiful places requiring much shorter time commitments and smaller financial commitments. Then, you will continue to dream about the AT for the next 20 years while you learn to backpack better and further and faster with more joy, more fun, greater finesse and insight learned from all the other wonderful trails you explore while dreaming about the AT . . . in the end, I suspect the AT may become little more than another trail that may, or may not remain on the top of your bucket list. . . there is so much out there to do and see, and the AT, although having lots of culture and history is not the longest, the oldest, the most traveled, the most beautiful, the most challenging, the most remote, or the most anything. But, it is a great trail and a great dream.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

you could hike it next year. with your family. if it is truly a priority, make it a priority to restructure your life. it can be done. i met a family of 5 doing it. they rented out their house. or did they sell it? can't remember. sabbaticals or quit jobs. rank what you want out of life. and start with number 1.

[QUOTE=hiked ... w/ my son and some Boy Scouts from our troop here in MI. We had a fabulous time... immediately fell in love with the AT and everything about it... decided to add a thru-hike to my bucket list, ...Problem ...likely will not be able to do this until retirement,... 20 years out. However, I am.... OBSESSED with everything AT...reading blogs, journals, watching YouTube videos, spending hours reading threads here, etc. Does anyone else have this same problem as me??? [/QUOTE]
    ... became addicted to evrything thru-hike. ,,,, my mind is made up and a thru-hike will be attempted.[/QUote= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0K4ApWl4g

[QUOTE=Greenlight;2101844]The AT will remain at the top of my bucket list until I've thru'd. It isn't just the hike.[/QUO

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I see you're near grand rapids. I'm there for a couple days nov 12. Any good hikes around that area? My fiance has some family there and I struggle to find much in MI (other than the far north) that entices me. We went to Muskegon state park for a day last time we visited and that was pretty good
    My husband and sons were the ones to hike, originally - while I envied them! Then, I won a backpack. It was all over after that. While my husband likes to backpack, he does not like mountains or rocks (things that pretty much are nonexistence in Michigan). I took my 10 and 12-year-old and hit the A.T. -- hiking across Maryland from Harpers Ferry to Penn Marr. What an awesome trip for beginners!

Since then, I have completed over 700 miles of the AT, usually in 7-10 day segments. This past time, it was SO AWESOME -

Regarding Michigan: For those in the lower peninsula, the best place to backpack is the North Country Trail (NCT) and Manistee River Trail Loop.

The NCT Manistee River Trail Loop is the best trail in lower MI for training for the A.T.
    Last edited by shelb; 11-05-2016 at 00:34.

Grab a camera and a note pad. Hike. The camera and notepad are to jog your memory so you can hopefully hike a different section next time. Or do the same one over and over again, if it was fun. Why not?

Took me most of my adult lifetime to finish, and in truth, I'll never be finished with it. There are a few miles here and there that I missed, and other sections I've done several times over.

It's the very enormity of the thing that grabs the imagination. And then as you walk more you may realize -- it's the huge army of volunteers that actually make it happen. Literally tens of thousands of people who happily give their free time to contribute to this project. It's humbling and moving. People can be good, when they work together, selflessly on something they really believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Then start selling the proposal to your employer.
    Gonna echo this, you'd be surprised how understanding some employers are about Leave of Absenses. Additionally if you're just a cog in a corporate wheel (like I am), HR loves spinning stuff like employees going on adventures into corporate propaganda.
    2018 NOBO Hopeful
    OEF/OIF Veteran
    Blog: www.going-big.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I see you're near grand rapids. I'm there for a couple days nov 12. Any good hikes around that area? My fiance has some family there and I struggle to find much in MI (other than the far north) that entices me. We went to muskegon state park for a day last time we visited and that was pretty good
    There are a number of areas to hike around here of varying distance...the NCT is verynear here but doesn't provide the scenic properties around here as it does further north. Nordhouse Dunes is a federal area just north of Ludington State Park, which is a few hours north of me here in Grand Rapids. That provides a decent but not lengthy backpack trek...it's beautiful up there...on the shore of Lake MI. actually, when you're here, I will be at Nordhouse Dunes w/ my son's Boy Scout troop...

There are a number of areas to hike around here of varying distance...the NCT is verynear here but doesn't provide the scenic properties around here as it does further north. Nordhouse Dunes is a federal area just north of Ludington State Park, which is a few hours north of me here in Grand Rapids. That provides a decent but not lengthy backpack trek...it's beautiful up there...on the shore of Lake MI. actually, when you're here, I will be at Nordhouse Dunes w/ my son's Boy Scout troop...
    I forgot about the Manistee River loop...about 2 hrs north of GR...1/2 is on the NCT and the other half is the Manistee River Trail...very pretty...

Images

Welcome to the club.

hike on the weekends or when ya can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++