WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I too am very overweight and trying to trim down. I am trying the calorie counting method, but I just started yesterday so... I figured at 12 x my current weight = X calories per day to maintain my current weight. So anything short of X will be a calorie deficit and should cause me to lose, if logic plays any part. This way I don't actually "Diet" per say. I eat whatever I want as long as I stay well under the X. I also log all of my food on this spreadsheet and it calculates my total for the day and at the end of the week. I just started yesterday and I had a 1358 calorie deficit yesterday. If I can keep this up, surely it will result in a weight loss, right? I am also trying to make much healthier choices and drinking nothing but water and my one cup of coffee per day.
    Not a fan of calorie counting, Slow carb is very easy, very effective, and excellent for long term compliance. Basically eat lean protein, vegetables, and legumes, no sugar, fruits, or carbs. it works.

Somewhere near the middle of 2014 I decided 205 lbs was too heavy. I went online and got my basic metabolic rate then decided to eat 500 calories less than that. I also joined a gym.

I continued eating what I wanted but found myself decidig to make healthier choices so I could eat more. Meaning I decided not to waste 300 calories on a candy bar when I could eat a whole sandwich.

I switched from soda to tea. Long story short my tea is half regular half decaf. Half sugar half splenda.

I only really stuck with the tea and eating less junk food. I lost 30 lbs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Somewhere near the middle of 2014 I decided 205 lbs was too heavy. I went online and got my basic metabolic rate then decided to eat 500 calories less than that. I also joined a gym.

I continued eating what I wanted but found myself decidig to make healthier choices so I could eat more. Meaning I decided not to waste 300 calories on a candy bar when I could eat a whole sandwich.

I switched from soda to tea. Long story short my tea is half regular half decaf. Half sugar half splenda.

I only really stuck with the tea and eating less junk food. I lost 30 lbs.
    Exactly what I am talking about...minus the gym I would rather just do pilates or taebo or whatever other livingroom type exercises than join a gym. I'll be much more likely to stick to that than a gym. But weight loss is more about eating than exercising, at least to start with. I have been doing the calorie counting just a few days and I have already lost a pound. You do automatically look for healthier options just so you can get enough food to get/feel relatively full, so its a win/win.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I dont have weight loss advice but my physical therapist said people get IT band issues due to weak gluts and hips. It might help to strengthen those areas before you hit the trail to prevent possible injury or pain.

[QUOTE=Wiki;2101621

Flat Treadmills and elliptical are your worst enemy, you legs aren't doing any real work. .[/QUOTE]

AGREED! 25 miles on flat treadmill or on flat terrain will not come close to equalling 8 miles of mountainous terrain on the A.T.!!!!!!! Get those stairs in! I have found that 2 hours of stairs 4 times a week is a great preparation!

Journal Entries

Started calorie counting on Monday... I'm down 2 pounds right now.

What I'd recommend is walking. Lots, and lots of walking.

Perhaps you can get a Fitbit and keep track of your steps. Basically, you want to strengthen your legs by getting miles into them. Start easy, and then build every week. Later, you might want to carry a few pounds on your back as you walk. The great affair is to move.

There are lots of advantages to walking. It will let you start sorting out your footwear, and also give you a sense of what works and what doesn't for different types of weather.

If you hit the trail with miles in your legs, you'll lessen your chance of an early injury, and make the start much more enjoyable. And this is supposed to be fun, right?
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Journal Entries

I'm down 5 pounds in a week.

,,, get a Fitbit and keep track of your steps. [/QUOTE]

I have the Fitbit that counts elevations. I plan on doing 10 sets of stairs each day as my regular goal. When A.T. training, I go for 50-70 in one session. Last year, I think I was hitting over 250 sets in a day in parts of Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I'm down 5 pounds in a week.
    LNJ good work. I dont know how much it helps but i dint eat bread crust anymore.

I also watch what i buy at the store. Fot example
    Generic hot chocolate. 140 caliries
    Nestle. 80 calories
    Swiss miss. 90

I will drink nestle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    LNJ good work. I dont know how much it helps but i dint eat bread crust anymore.

I also watch what i buy at the store. Fot example
    Generic hot chocolate. 140 caliries
    Nestle. 80 calories
    Swiss miss. 90

I will drink nestle.
    I am doing the same thing. Checking labels on everything. Making decent progress so far, but Thanksgiving is coming so.... there could possibly be a stall in my future. I'll get back at it after the big day is done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++