WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default on the subject of shorts...

Even now as I am preparing for my thru hike the question plagues me: do I really need to invest in a pair or two pairs of hiking / running shorts or would just a pair of el Cheapo Walmart basketball shorts suffice? I mean they are both synthetic and frankly one is more cost-effective than the other so why should I drop the money?

Journal Entries

Invest?

You are free to use whatever you like.

It all works

I like pockets. Running shorts don't have good ones . I have running shorts with liner removed for modesty over compression underwear. Weigh 2 oz. Basketball shorts are double thickness, heavier, less ventilated
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-21-2016 at 22:25.

Basketball shorts tend to be a lot heavier material than running shorts and are thus not as nice to walk in. Get Walmart running shorts if you want light weight and cheap, but don't be too surprised if they fall apart on you. As Keith Bontrager once famously said: "cheap, light, strong, pick two"!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

No, you must dress according to approved White Blaze Hiking Federation backpacking code.

Agree with nsherry61 - Shorts are an item that if taken, may be carried as much as worn so make sure they are as lightweight as you are welling to pay for. I went Underarmour on Sale with coupons from Dicks because I wanted pockets yet a swim suit look as well. However, you can find cheaper at Target and still cheaper at Walmart.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

I prefer cargo shorts over cheap running shorts because of the easy access of front pockets.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I can't abide shorts without pockets. But then I _never_ use the pockets. Go figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Plays With Foxes View Post
    Even now as I am preparing for my thru hike the question plagues me: do I really need to invest in a pair or two pairs of hiking / running shorts or would just a pair of el Cheapo Walmart basketball shorts suffice? I mean they are both synthetic and frankly one is more cost-effective than the other so why should I drop the money?
    Having two pair of running shorts is mandatory for me. They're light, dry fast, and have liners so I don't need underwear. They keep my clothing system so much more simple, compact, and lightweight than using shorts and boxers.

Do whatever makes you happy, tho.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For me, the ideal shorts would have two large side pockets, and only a 6 inch inseam. No back pockets, because with the lightweight flimsy wallet I use hiking the debit card would bend too much.

No front pocket or longer inseam because when I get sweaty or rained on, the material clings to the front of my thighs, and I have to fight the fabric on on every step uphill. It's like elastic band resistance training, which is about the last thing you need on the trail.

Leonidas
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    No, you must dress according to approved White Blaze Hiking Federation backpacking code.
    Uh I give up what covers feathers....?

Rapper-owl--33614.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wear whatever you like. Go to Goodwill or wear what's already in your closet. You don't need expensive. People hike in all sorts of different clothes. If it doesn't work, you'll be able to buy something else along the way. Find something comfortable and lightweight.

When I first hiked, I wore light Sears workpants - cotton of course. When it got hot, I wore cotton shorts I found on sale and cotton t-shirts. It didn't kill me, just took forever to dry. After I lost one, I picked up a spare shirt at a thrift store in Virginia.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I didn't even know Walmart had a basketball team.

Personally I like to to use EMS or REI zipoff shorts only because they are made of slightly more durable material and I seem to often find myself sliding butt first down granite where my thin running shorts wouldn't hold up to that abuse. Besides that I can't find any good reason to spend stupid money on 3 season hiking pants. I usually buy mne on clearance.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I didn't even know Walmart had a basketball team.

Personally I like to to use EMS or REI zipoff shorts only because they are made of slightly more durable material and I seem to often find myself sliding butt first down granite where my thin running shorts wouldn't hold up to that abuse. Besides that I can't find any good reason to spend stupid money on 3 season hiking pants. I usually buy mne on clearance.
    I been wearin' the EMS ones and have a pair that's about 10 yeas old now...cant kill the damn things, one of the best purcheases I ever made as far as clothes go.

The only signs of wear on them is the hook end of the Velcro...but the nylon
    material itself, very durable.

Default on the subject of shorts...

I found all my hiking shorts at my local Goodwill store.

I buy most of my hiking clothes at Walmart. Cheap nylon shorts or nylon jogging pants bought on sale at the end of the season for 5 bucks. Some of these clothes have several hundred miles on them, but they are cheap enough that if they are damaged or smell too bad it doesn't bother me to throw them away.

I use board shorts. They're fast drying and durable, and usually have a cargo pocket. Finding one with two cargo pockets is harder, but doable. I have a couple from Billabong that are still going strong after 4ys of heavy use. New, they can be expensive, but my local Goodwill will have them for $7.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

++ New Posts ++