WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Grew up in Wichita, KS. Starting NOBO early March.

From NE Indiana, and I second the Manistee River Loop. The Manistee Trail Side is amazing, and the North Country side is ok. Also, running/walking up and down dunes is great for a buttkicker day.

Doing the Low Gap Trail near Martinsville Indiana this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by loguon_theguy View Post
    Doing the Low Gap Trail near Martinsville Indiana this weekend.
    hmm, not familiar with this trail. dispersed camping? how many miles? I was looking for a hike this weekend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pecos View Post
    hmm, not familiar with this trail. dispersed camping? how many miles? I was looking for a hike this weekend as well.
    It's a 10ish mile loop in the Morgan-Monroe State Forest. Dispersed camping in the backcountry section on the east side of the loop. There are no decent maps, but this is the best I found https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-MMSF.pdf Supposedly a pretty tough trail (for Indiana anyway)

More info here: https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-MMSF.pdf

It's a 10ish mile loop in the Morgan-Monroe State Forest. Dispersed camping in the backcountry section on the east side of the loop. There are no decent maps, but this is the best I found https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-MMSF.pdf Supposedly a pretty tough trail (for Indiana anyway)

More info here: https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-MMSF.pdf
    Actually the Three-Lakes Trail in the same park is a little tougher than the Low-Gap trail. Roughly same distance also.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Actually the Three-Lakes Trail in the same park is a little tougher than the Low-Gap trail. Roughly same distance also.
    Can't legally camp though that's disappointing. Not that you need to it's a short hike. I just like camping as part of the experience. Ever stealth camp on Three-Lakes?

Can't legally camp though that's disappointing. Not that you need to it's a short hike. I just like camping as part of the experience. Ever stealth camp on Three-Lakes?
    No just on the Low Gap in the back country. You might consider the Tecumseh trail which heads off from the Low Gap in the back country area and goes all the way down to the Hoosier National Forest south of In 46. If you like to camp that is.

Trail Mercury is right, The Trapp Hills section (east of the Porkies) of the NCT is rugged, in 4 days including that section one summer I didn't run into anyone else and had to reaquire the trail in a few spots. However, for elevations and similar trail conditions the Porkies I found to be closer to the AT.

I'm from southern Missouri! AKA I'm struggling to find anything even close to imitating AT conditions. I worked in Yellowstone National Park over the summer and have a lot of hiking experience there and in the Tetons, but as far as in the midwest, I'm not finding much. The best I've discovered nearby are some trails down in AK. Hope to see you on the trail!

Have you tried the Ice age scenic trail in Wisconsin or through Kettle Moraine state park in Wi? Not at but hilly

Kettle Moraine State Park is really cool. I remember going their with my aunt and uncle as a child.

Images

Another great trail option is the Jordan River Pathway. This is another cooperative loop trail. Half of it is North Country Trail, the other half is Michigan DNR maintained.

http://northcountrytrail.org/j45/?page_id=7

https://northcountrytrail.org/trail/...way-loop-hike/

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    Have you tried the Ice age scenic trail in Wisconsin or through Kettle Moraine state park in Wi? Not at but hilly
    The IAT is amazing, however there isn't much camping on the southern part of it. Lots of great info can be found at iceagetrail.org
    Twitter: @mkehiker

I'm from Wi and planning my 2017 thruhike. The Interstate State park has a lot of great trails along the St Criox River. I've done a bit of kayaking through the area and it's a gorgeous place to spend a weekend. Might do a couple winter hikes to get in the groove.

From NE Indiana, and I second the Manistee River Loop. The Manistee Trail Side is amazing, and the North Country side is ok. Also, running/walking up and down dunes is great for a buttkicker day.
    I wish I would have known about this trail earlier. I am also in NE Indiana and have a hard time finding trails except for Pokagon State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jlp1976 View Post
    I wish I would have known about this trail earlier. I am also in NE Indiana and have a hard time finding trails except for Pokagon State Park.
    Also, Chain O Lakes State Park in Albion is hosting the "Indiana 100", which is a 100 mile race for trail runners. The trail they made for the race is about 20 miles long, and is a good day hike. It has some hilly portions.

Images

Hey,I'm in Minneapolis, MN. Getting gear together to attempt a thru-hike edit- of the AT Northbound... not sure of start date. (Edit-Late Feb/early March is what I'm leaning towards.) I'd be game to meet other would be hikers, so if'n you'd be interested send me a message. FYI: 47, rotund, teacher... Miguelon
    Last edited by Miguelon; 02-01-2017 at 18:36. Reason: Put in AT & Planned Departure Date

What trail are you preping for?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++