WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cookpot recommendations

New to lightweight/ultralite. Looking to hear some cookpot recommendations.

Either titanium, anodized aluminum or modified beer can, but you will need to divulge your cooking style, group size, and type of stove to get much more dialed in.

im using a gas stove, and will generally only be going solo or with my girlfriend. looking for an actual pot as opposed to a beer can because i tend to be less than gentle with my gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out http://www.batchstovez.com Sam is a really nice guy and makes great anodized aluminum cook pots and etc.
    A 10cm cook pot would be good for solo use,I used mine on my SHT thru hike and it held up like A champ.
    Another budget option would be the gsi halulite minimalist set found on ebay and etc.
    A not so budget item is to go with titanium anywhere from a 550 ml to a 750 ml depending how much space you need.
    Have you ever thought about switching over to alcohol stoves or esbit stoves...
    If so check out zelphs stove works.
    http://www.woodgaz-stove.com
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Check out Vargo. I've used pots by them on both of my thruhikes and really like them. Super lightweight, the .09 liter one is awesome
    - Young Blood | AT2015 | PCT2016 | CDT2017

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a snow peak trek 700 now it has measurements on it which comes in handy. But I only boil hot water in it to rehydrate meals. If you wanna go all out and cook I don't really know.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    im using a gas stove, and will generally only be going solo or with my girlfriend. looking for an actual pot as opposed to a beer can because i tend to be less than gentle with my gear.
    Aluminum can be easily dented, albeit hard anodized is tougher, titanium is better. I cook FBC style using a separate zip lock container to re-hydrate in and as a bowl. My pot is 1.3 liter Evernew Titanium with out a non-stick interior since I use it for only boiling water. It is a good size of 2 people allowing extra water for hot drinks.

I use a 1.9 liter Evernew non-stick pot for larger groups or if I plan to cook/simmer meals in the cook pot.

Not sure what you will be cooking but I ate a lot of ramen on my thru. My 0.8L Jetboil was just the right size to make ramen in. Any smaller and I would have had issues so you might consider what you will be eating before deciding on which one you get. BTW, my Jetboil was a bit heavier than a pot and regular stove head but the speed at which it boiled water made it well worth any weight penalty. It used much less fuel than my snow peak stove while it was at it too so my canisters lasted much longer.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check out this info: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.ph...ot-combination
    It's starting to get a little dated as some newer equipment isn't included. But it gives you a starting point to compare some of the tried and true pots many people seem to use.

I use an MSR Titan pot on most of my solo trips. The IMUSA 12 cm cups are also really popular and super inexpensive. Both options are great for solo, but a bit small for two people, although perfectly workable, depending on what and how you cook. If you're hard on gear, Titanium might be a bit more durable than aluminum, but then aluminum is better for actually cooking as apposed to just boiling water, and slightly thicker aluminum is also plenty tough for most people. I'd recommend .6 to 1.2 L for solo and 1 to 2 L for two people.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have a 700 and a 900 SP Trek titanium pots. Both awesome. The 700 has a better lid and is good with a canister stove. I prefer the 900 for the size since it works with my FF alcohol stove, plus it fits the 230ml inside it with the stove.

I use a Snow Peak 1400 with a Caldera cone for my GF and I. It gives us enough hot water for two meals and coffee/hot/cocoa/cider/tea if we want it. She carries a snow peak 900 to eat out of. She likes the size of the fry pan lid as as a plate. She's a food separatist.

a 1L anodized aluminum pot is a good starting point for a single or couple of hikers. till you know better what your particular needs are, here's a very nice but cheap one that I've used for a couple years and recommend --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3400641

I like to use a 900-1100 cc pot because I heat water for a hot beverage as well as my meal, which is cooked and eaten out of my pot. Some people manange well with smaller 600-750 cc pots. The most inexpensive option for the size I like IMO is the Stanco Aluminum Greasepot. More expensive are titanium pots, but there are bargains around. You can get both types from me as complete kits with windscreen and burner or just the pot if you are actually looking to purchase and know what you want.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm hiker trash. I use a Grease Pot and a beverage-can stove.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I looked for sales and found a pair of nonstick titanium pots with 1 lid that fits them both for $40. It was either from Campmor or Backcountry. I think they are 1.3 and 1.7 liter... I only bring one of the pots, and inside fits my 600 ml titanium coffee cup, stove, windscreen, and the small can of gas fits inside the coffee cup.
    Not exactly ultra light, since I have a pot AND a cup, but I like to have a cup of coffee while I'm eating oatmeal - or a cup of tea while I'm cooking dinner.

Another pot to consider, for faster boil times to save fuel, is the olicamp xts. It's a few ounces heavier, but if faster boil times or more fuel efficiency matters...

Spend some time with the girlfriend researching, testing, and creating a few favorite freezer bag cooking recipes and meals.
    Ditch cooking on a stove and go with freezer bag cooking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I started out with a Jetboil. Loved how fast it was!!!! However, it was heavy. I tried a beer can stove and a cat food can stove, but they required a bit more "tweaking" than I am capable of (even though I bought them from experienced people...). I like the MSR pocket rocket with a titanium pot and spoon. It is idiot proof and light.

For solo hiking, I typically carry something around the size of 1L pot. Usually titanium. This 0.9L pot is my favorite: https://www.traildesigns.com/cookwar...-9l-pot-eca252
    I prefer the regular pot instead of the non-stick coating. I'll just boil my water, toss in my food, stir it a bit, turn off the stove, & put the pot in the pot cozy to finish 'cooking' (double the recommended 'cooking time' in the pot cozy). Works like a champ. Cuts down on fuel usage as well.

For a slightly cheaper titanium pot, check out the Toaksoutdoors.com.

Good luck on your quest.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

GSI soloist cookset.... i love this thing https://www.rei.com/product/830766/g...oloist-cookset

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++