WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who completed a thru with a dog as there are so few of them. Those who started a thru with a dog and failed don't seem to want to talk about it.
    And neither do their dogs...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I hiked 1000 miles (HF to ME) with a male Norwegian Elkhound, many years ago. It was so much of a pain that I stopped my hike early. The dog handled the trail well, and got along with people fine, but tended to go hunting and not come back. Killed a fawn once, and a woodchuck, then tried to bite a porcupine in Vermont (that didn't work out very well). I would never long distance hike with a dog again.

IMO you don't need a dog for protection on the AT, if that's what you are thinking. And there are plenty of nice people for comaradarie if that's what you think you need.
    A Norweigian Elkhound went off and killed a fawn...Elk...Hound...yeah...didn't see that one coming...

I wouldn't trust my standard Manchester not to kill coyotes and/or all manner of vermin, it's what is in his DNA...it's why he can't be taken to a shelter on the trail...mice...

A Manchester once killed 300 RATS in under one hour in a contest in England...going to a shelter on the AT with mine would be like...taking Joey Chestnut to an all-you-can-eat hot dog restaurant...

BTW, he's never off lead on the trail and I've had to put "ASK TO PET" patches on his backpack and that still doesn't keep complete strangers from coming up and petting him. He won't bite, but he doesn't enjoy it at all. He doesn't like strangers in his zone of protection. After Saturday, "Oh look Chelsea what a cute doggie, go pet him!" I am ready to put "I BITE" patches on his pack...but I hate being anti-social....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    A Norweigian Elkhound went off and killed a fawn...Elk...Hound...yeah...didn't see that one coming...

I wouldn't trust my standard Manchester not to kill coyotes and/or all manner of vermin, it's what is in his DNA...it's why he can't be taken to a shelter on the trail...mice...

A Manchester once killed 300 RATS in under one hour in a contest in England...going to a shelter on the AT with mine would be like...taking Joey Chestnut to an all-you-can-eat hot dog restaurant...

BTW, he's never off lead on the trail and I've had to put "ASK TO PET" patches on his backpack and that still doesn't keep complete strangers from coming up and petting him. He won't bite, but he doesn't enjoy it at all. He doesn't like strangers in his zone of protection. After Saturday, "Oh look Chelsea what a cute doggie, go pet him!" I am ready to put "I BITE" patches on his pack...but I hate being anti-social....
    It's definitely in a terriers DNA....rat killing machines...my jrt is a varmint destroying machine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    It's definitely in a terriers DNA....rat killing machines...my jrt is a varmint destroying machine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My JRT just caught a squirrel in the backyard about 30 minutes ago...There's no way I could take my two hiking, it would be one bloodbath after another.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Have never experienced a full thru hike of anything of the AT's length and duration with a dog but....

What breed & how old?

Relating to the AT:

On the AT in summer for about 1100 miles full breed Irish Setter, med size male 5 yr old,
    On the AT in Oct/Nov for about 600 miles Black Labrador Retriever, 4- yr old med large female

What type of gear did you choose for your canine companion?

Ruff Wear packs, there are lighter wt ones, I had to resupply more often and/or carry some of the Setter's food wt because of his paw pads further into the hike and my ignorance of LD hiking with a dog expecting him to do all what I did which pushed him too much resulting in undue wt loss and a vet trip for one of his legs which I had to take a 6 days off to rest and further for my ignorance of not examining his paw pads more often resulting in a more egregious injury, I wouldn't take the Lab out for that 1100 mile distance because of the breed's sometimes problems with hips

Both had leashes, which because both dogs were trained so well, obedient to heeling, and had absolutely awesome temperaments(friendly, non barkers, non chasing of wildlife, never biting, etc), was able to largely hike unleashed with them staying at my side within 40 ft or so but would have to heel them in closer or quickly leash when others would come by in a group on narrow single track or when others had dogs which again added to my responsbibilities

collapsable water dog bowls, neither dog was allowed in or unleashed around or drank directly from AT lean-to drinking water sources or from abutting the trail springs, creeks, etc. It was HARD to keep either dog from drinking directly from water sources.

separate silny dog ground sized ground sheet for the Setter, nothing for the Lab, both sometimes curled up next to me, I've never went out for long distances or durations in very cold weather with a dog

Mushers secret and dog booties, Setter wouldn't wear booties, lab was fine

What type of training did you put your dog under prior to setting off on your thru?

self trained mostly(important IMO that when I had these dogs they lived with only me, they weren't confused as to who took care of them or who they needed to listen to) but had some help for a day with a professional dog trainer for both when younger, extremely obedient to heeling, obedient to not chasing wildlife even when bears, deer, raccoons, skunks, pheasants, quail, or a Bobcat was nearby or, with the setter, grouse would suddenly flush, ***Both dogs were also hunting dogs with hunting DNA so don't buy into the idea that DNA is a viable excuse for chasing, attacking, or killing wildlife no matter how one elects to describe coyotes, rats, deer, bears, skunks, or other wildlife.

again neither was a barker,

Both were trained to let me know when they had to experience a full #1 or #2 which I aimed to be aware of always which was another thing added to my responsibilities and commitments on a LD hike. despite this more than a few times both would take quick dumps near the trail that I had to pick up.

What steps did you take for tick prevention?

Flea collars with cedar oil, essential oils rubbed into fur(had to change this up as what I was initially using was irritating, I went with lemongrass(only on bedding and on fur), geranium and cedar oils DILUTED!) and, Frontline(I wouldn't ever use this stuff on my beloved pet again even though it's a simplistic approach), washed/rinsed both dogs often, both loved water so when at a LARGE river or lake let them swim, I had a flea and tick comb which about every 3 days or so or when I found ticks on myself checked the dog, as said they were also sometimes cuddling up to me. I used some of these products including the flea/tick colors and dog treat chews(with Brewers Yeast and garlic) intermittently. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ws/999033.aspx

Did you find other hikers receptive to your dog or resistant to having a dog on the trail?

Not universally YES but largely a yes. It goes back to being a utmost responsible dog owner, the dog's temperament, being on/off leash, and the obedience the dog has.

What did you do when you wanted to eat REAL FOOD at a restaurant while in town?

Dog was leashed out front sometimes. It depends on the situation, the eating establishment. Both dogs laid quietly non aggressively NEVER jumping up on people or acting aggressively to other animals unprovoked. Sometimes I got food to go and found a quiet place like a park or picnic bench to eat. I always supplemented my in town eating with the same approach to my dogs. they knew I was coming out with food for them usually a burger or chicken. Sometimes I knew another hiker/thru-hiker who would gladly watch the dog for me when I sat down to eat inside a restaurant.

What did you do with your dog during resupply when in town (i.e. convenience stores, grocery stores, etc.)?

Same as above but most of my resupplying for both setter and lab and for me on both those hikes was from a mailed resupply box( so much easier for the food I wanted to feed my dogs and myself) so just a quick in and out at a USPO or sometimes a hostel. Hostels, hotels, CGs, etc w/ dogs is another varying issue depending on situation. Again, with that 1100 mile AT trek I wind up taking the approach to resupply more often because he was losing to much wt when he already had a lean physique.

Never kenneled a dog on a hike.

PITA during two rainy staying in AT lean-to nights with 3-4 open spaces left having late night hikers coming in making me resort to putting my dog and hence myself in the rain quickly erecting a tent in the rain since both shelters had no wide overhanging or roofed food prep area to leash my dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikz_dHeb8kE

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    My JRT just caught a squirrel in the backyard about 30 minutes ago...There's no way I could take my two hiking, it would be one bloodbath after another.
    Both the dogs I described would chase and kill rabbits or squirrels or pheasants or get into a skunk's rear end or fight with a coyote or bear or cougar(none supposedly on the AT ) IF IF IF they were allowed to or patterned to recklessly behave that way. I had to change the Black Labs habit of running off chasing wildlife when very young BEFORE ever taking onto a trail unleashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I had to change the Black Labs habit of running off chasing wildlife when very young BEFORE ever taking onto a trail unleashed.
    That's one of the most important aspects of bringing a dog. Every year someone looses a dog when it chases off after wildlife and can't find it's way back due to being in unfamiliar territory. And if your dog is caught chasing deer, that can get you into big trouble.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++