WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Red face Carrying Water On the AT ~ How Much Is Enough?

Hello Lovlies!
    Everyone wants to play it smart when it comes water supply, but water can certainly add a great deal of weight to your pack. How much water is necessary to carry for the trail? I'm using EverNew Water Bladders one of them is a 2 liter and then the two other are 900 ml. Would I be better off keep the 2 liter badder as a water reverse and one 900 ml to drink out off (ditch the other)? leaving me around 3 liters of water or do you think I could mange with less?
    “Almost heaven, West Virginia
    Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah river
    Life is old there, older than the trees
    Younger than the mountains, grown’ like a breeze”

- John Denver

In my humble opinion...

Hiking the AT isn't rocket science, but determining how much water to carry, and when and where to take more water, will occupy more brain power than anything else you think about while hiking.

There aren't too many hard-and-fast rules. Much will depend on the weather -- in periods of rain or just after, water will be plentiful. Late in the summer, or in dry spells or drought years, things dry up and water is harder to find. Guide books usually indicate whether a given spring or stream is reliable.

The only general rule I know of that holds most of the time is that water is found in "low" places and is less likely to be found "up high." Look at the profile map. If you're in one of those "low places" and about to ascend to a ridge, that's the time to stock up, unless you know for sure there's a reliable water source up on the ridge.

Different people seem to require different amounts of water. Some folks claim they can go ten miles on a pint of water. For me, that's not enough. In hot weather I like to start the day with at least two liters. Three liters if I'm about to head up onto a dry ridge, with 10+ miles to the next reliable water.

I choose to err on the side of having too much water rather than too little. Being dehydrated is dangerous and really bad for your health. This I know from personal experience.

Journal Entries

For 44 years I've been a 'short distance hiker', not a long distance walker. That's been true even when I've used resupply to make multi-week trips. Some of my trips, but not all of them, have been made on the AT.

But, wherever I hike, I find it useful to distinguish between how much water I carry during the day (the issue that rafe discusses very in #2), and separately collection and purification of water in preparation for camping overnight and then hiking onward the next day. There are springs close to many AT shelters but for some others, and for many good campsites, the nearest water source is a substantial distance away from where people cook and sleep. So, I like to replenish my 'in camp' water supply just one time at each camp, rather than doing so on multiple occasions.

While hiking I hold my drinking water within two quart sized Gatoraid bottles. Then, after arriving in camp I fill two those two empty bottles, and I also fill all or much of an "old school' 2 1/2 qt. sized collapsible Platypus brand plastic water container, a piece of vintage gear that has served me well for decades. My water container/bladder/collapsible bottle is useful and weighs very little.

When deciding how much water to collect I think about upcoming weather, mileage, hygiene (or its absence), and potential availability of trail side water sources up ahead. Sometimes I consume 4 1/2 quarts/liters of water during a 24 hour period: 1 qt. dinner time + 1 qt. overnight and breakfast + 1/2 qt. personal hygiene + 2 qt. during the next day's hiking.

As learned by my desert trips, I have the habit to always carry a full bottle (1.5ltr) of water in my pack and hardly ever touch it, but live out of a small canteen that I refill on every opportunity along the way most of the day.
    Usually I calculate 1-2ltr to drink during the day, and 1.5ltr for a dry camp (which I usually go for, as I don't like to mangle in the flocks of wildlife and hikers that usually gather around water sources).

On my thru this summer I carried 2 SmartWater bottles (1L & 750ml) and two Evernew 1.5L collapsible bottles that I used for camp. I generally only carried 1L of water but there were times I filled the 750ml bottle as well. Most of the time the 750ml bottle was used for breaks at water sources where I would mix electrolytes. That way I could chug the electrolyte and then have a full water bottle of water.

At camp, I filtered water into both my SmartWater bottles and put them aside as that would be my water for the morning hike. I then filled my Evernew bags up and used that water for dinner, drinking, and breakfast and I would drink the remaining water from the bags before hiking out. This routine worked very well for me. I was continually paranoid about water and further up the trail in the Mid-Atlantic states, water becomes much more scarce.

I'll add this: you will hear the common phrase of "I never carried more than a liter of water on the AT" and that may be true for some, but do not take that as gospel. As your hike progresses into the summer, more water sources dry out.
    Last edited by capehiker; 10-08-2016 at 03:44.

Images

I sweat very heavily during warm weather, especially if it's humid. For that reason, I have to drink a lot more than most, usually over 120 ounces a day. I carry a full 16-ounce water bottle in a shoulder pouch, a 1-liter soda bottle, and a 2-liter Platypus. If water is common I camel up and just fill the 16-ounce bottle to get me to the next source. But, if it's going to be awhile until I get to the next source, I fill the other bottle and maybe even the Platypus as well.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries
    Images

I say carry at least a liter if you start feeling dehydrated chug it.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Journal Entries

Overweight out of shape, slow, people need more.
    The faster you hike, less you have to carry
    The hotter it is, the more you will need
    The cooler, the less

Its actually possible to only drink at sources and not carry any, except in late summer drought in a few areas. But this is not real smart to attempt.

Most people have no problems with 2 L max carry capacity, vary whats carried as necessary.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-08-2016 at 07:27.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Normally 2L is plenty, but as others have said, it all depends. I am one of those old, fat, slow hikers. Last summer hiking in PA when it was 98 degrees I thought I had easily enough water for my fairly flat 14 mile hike. I took what most would say is a very large amount of water (no sources where I was so I took 4L with my day pack). After getting lost and turning a 14 mile hike into a 20, I barley was able to make back to my car.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Garlic
    Images

I carried one 1-liter repurposed soda bottle and one 2-liter Platypus bladder as a reserve and for dry camps. Total empty weight 2 oz, plenty of water for me on the AT the year I hiked.

I often hiked with no water in my pack at all, especially on those days in the South and in New England when my feet were wet all day from walking in fresh Appalachian spring water. I agree with MW above, that may not be too smart, but we all choose our risks, and sometimes have to deal with our fears.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

A difficult question to answer. A lot depends on water availability at known/mapped sources. This year drought has had a significant impact in the northeastern sections of AT that can require carrying more water than one normally would in case the next water source is dry, other years can be very wet and water plentiful even in small run off streams higher on ridges.

It really boils down to comfort and if you have an idea of water consumption per mile or hour. Consumption rate will change with terrain, temperature, humidity, and overall body condition (tired, fresh, hungry, following a meal, etc). It's not too difficult to figure this rate out and get a rule of thumb generated you can use to plan how much water to carry to reach the mapped water source.

For me, I am fairly comfortable carrying about a liter of water most of the time, which provides enough water to reach then next mapped source. If conditions are really dry, I will calculate the distance/consumption rate to the next water source and take on a bit more more if there is a chance the source will come up dry. I am not suggesting to do this, but its a strategy that works for me.

Like everyone else said, it depends, but most people often carry more then they need.

I typically carry 40 oz max, two 20 oz soda bottles. That's a bit over 2 pounds leaving a water source. It takes time to get water, so even when the sources are fairly frequent you want to carry enough so you don't have to stop at each one, but not so much your lugging extra weight for no good reason.

At some shelter sites, water sources can be quite a distance from the trail, and steeply down hill. Therefore it's a good idea to be able to carry at least one gallon of water so you only need to make that trip down to the spring once. I use a silnylon water bag which holds a gallon, weights next to nothing and takes up no space in the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I carried one 1-liter repurposed soda bottle and one 2-liter Platypus bladder as a reserve and for dry camps. Total empty weight 2 oz, plenty of water for me on the AT the year I hiked.

I often hiked with no water in my pack at all, especially on those days in the South and in New England when my feet were wet all day from walking in fresh Appalachian spring water. I agree with MW above, that may not be too smart, but we all choose our risks, and sometimes have to deal with our fears.
    I tend to be be in garlic sauce camp when it comes to water on the AT.

To the OP. Are you planning a thru and if so where and when will you start. The time of year drives how much if any water you will need to carry. Let's assume you will start on a thru in the spring. Generally the temperatures are cooler and the water sources are plentiful. In this case, if you have the databook then you can can easy learn water management with little if any risk. Garlic's 3 liter suggestion is probably more than sufficient to allow you to dry camp anywhere on the trail. I believe you will find that you quickly learn water management if you pay attention to what you are doing and are willing to optimize your approach. Do you hit a marked water source and still have a liter of water? Adjust. You don't need to have everything figured out when you hit the trail.

if you are planning a hike in PA in the late summer then a different approach will be needed. Reliability of sources and distances between sources may require a higher carry.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I use the Evernew bladders too

either combo is good:

1ea - 2L
    and
    1ea - 900ml

or

2ea - 1.5L

usually people figure out within a few days what works best on the water question
    lots of variables apply

your hiking pace & how much water you drink
    how often you want to stop for water
    distance between water sources
    hoser/bladder or water bottles for hydration
    method of H2O treatment or filtration

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Like everyone else said, it depends, but most people often carry more then they need.

I typically carry 40 oz max, two 20 oz soda bottles. That's a bit over 2 pounds leaving a water source. It takes time to get water, so even when the sources are fairly frequent you want to carry enough so you don't have to stop at each one, but not so much your lugging extra weight for no good reason.

At some shelter sites, water sources can be quite a distance from the trail, and steeply down hill. Therefore it's a good idea to be able to carry at least one gallon of water so you only need to make that trip down to the spring once. I use a silnylon water bag which holds a gallon, weights next to nothing and takes up no space in the pack.

This is close to where I am now. Like every other aspect of hiking, How much water I carry has been an evolution.

My first hiking trip, I carried two 1.5 liter water bottles in the side pockets of my pack, and had a .7 liter water bottle in a strap tied to my pack to sip on as I walked... and I would fill up at just about every water source because I didn't want to risk running out.

I still carry two 1 liter smart water bottles and the .7 liter bottle to drink from as I go - but I don't fill both the 1 liter bottles; usually only 1 of them gets filled along with the .7 liter bottle, so typically I only carry 1.7 liters from a water source.

It is a convenience to have a 1 gallon water jug or bag so if I want to camp up on a bald or simply don't want to run back and forth to the water source near a shelter, I simply fill everything up once when arriving at camp, and I won't have to refill again until somewhere down the trail the next morning.

It depends. Generally have 2x 32oz Gatorade bottles for hiking. They may or may not both be full when I leave a water source. Depends on distance to next one, weather, terrain ahead, etc. I also carry a 2L evernew bag for filtering water and can fill that up for camp if I am planning on staying at a dry campsite.

I have had to ration water when the next several water sources were dry and I had 1/4 liter left. Not the most enjoyable thing in the world, but I realized that I can survive without having water for a few miles.

I usually carry 1-2 liters. Getting up and going in the morning I always started with 2 but on the Southern end of the trail at the beginning of the year, that seemed more than plenty between water sources. But I don't drink a lot when I hike either so.... It's always better to have too much than not enough, but there's no reason to carry 20 liters with you, the weight adds up quick. There were a few places along the way I was tight for water, but I kept a good eye on the guidebook and that helped tremendously.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

Just to add some additional thoughts to those listed above...

Certain medications/prescriptions can also cause one to need to drink more water than the average hiker.
    Certain health conditions might also cause one to need to drink more water.
    What is your usual water routine for day hikes?

I have found my water routine to be the same no matter if I am day hiking, or on a backpacking trip. Water needs are a very individual thing. I used to carry less water when hiking, but found I was not drinking enough to meet my personal water needs. I switched over to a bladder and I am far more likely to be consistent with my water intake. This has helped me to refrain from dehydration issues, as well as kidney issues.

I also recognize I am not someone who will take the time to stop at each water source (or as often as needed) to get water... I would rather keep hiking. I am happy to accept the weight penalty of carrying a bladder of water because I have found a water routine that works for me.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

i always drink a liter in the morning and at every water source, carrying 2 liters between sources. works out pretty darn well for AT distances.

Not trying to be evasive or snide, within the limited context of your question, things like this are best determined by you specifically for you and your AT hike. Making decisions for yourself based on YOUR HIKE is part of backpacking. No one here can tell you what's necessary for you in this regard. Don't be afraid to get it wrong and don't be concerned that you need to know everything in detail about the AT to safely and enjoyably hike the AT. Embrace developing evolving adapting as a hiker.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++