WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I too like my buff. It's amazing how much warmer I feel around camp by just putting that on over my head down below my ears. Doubles as a pack towel.

Curious. Why the fit bit. Given you are so careful about being lightweight, that would seem to be optional.

I would dump the GPS and the power bank, unless you absolutely need to listen to music all the time. I used my phone just for photos and to make one or two "still alive" calls per day. Kept phone in airplane mode otherwise. Internal battery would last me 6-8 days no problem.

I saw two things nobody else touched on. First, is you may want to carry your health insurance providers card. Secondly, are you using permethrin or DEET or are you not using anything anti tick? Unfortunately accidents happen, and with the prevalence of Lymes disease it's something to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I too like my buff. It's amazing how much warmer I feel around camp by just putting that on over my head down below my ears. Doubles as a pack towel.

Curious. Why the fit bit. Given you are so careful about being lightweight, that would seem to be optional.
    I get bonus points and discounts at Walgreens. Lol. Other than that, bragging rights with some friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWorksHard View Post
    I would dump the GPS and the power bank, unless you absolutely need to listen to music all the time. I used my phone just for photos and to make one or two "still alive" calls per day. Kept phone in airplane mode otherwise. Internal battery would last me 6-8 days no problem.
    The Delorme is a luxury but gives my wife and daughter piece of mind when I hike. My IPhone is for pics, video, editing and AWOL guide. The phone won't be powered up unless I need something. The Delorme can send and receive texts.
    Last edited by The Roaming Gnome; 10-09-2016 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I saw two things nobody else touched on. First, is you may want to carry your health insurance providers card. Secondly, are you using permethrin or DEET or are you not using anything anti tick? Unfortunately accidents happen, and with the prevalence of Lymes disease it's something to ponder.
    Good point on the healthcare card. I'm soaking everything in Permethrin. I've got Deet but I really don't like using it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    Good point on the healthcare card. I'm soaking everything in Permethrin. I've got Deet but I really don't like using it.
    Have you tried Picaridin rather than DEET? Effective, and much less nasty. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picari.../dp/B00XQOYDJG

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Have you tried Picaridin rather than DEET? Effective, and much less nasty. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picari.../dp/B00XQOYDJG
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've never been keen on placing chemicals on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've never been keen on placing chemicals on my skin.
    You are welcome. I try to avoid using anything directly on skin. Fortunately, I don't seem to be as attractive to biting insects as some of my hiking companions, so sometimes I just keep moving and don't worry about it. Or I can cover up with permethrin treated clothing and headnet if necessary. That said, the Picaridin based bug dope is mild enough that if I have to break down and use it I don't really mind. That would happen mostly under very buggy, very hot conditions, where I don't want to cover up. And, unlike DEET, it's not going to melt my water bottle or my glasses.

Thanks for sharing! I personally prefer this site for managing preparing my gear list https://lighterpack.com/

I'm still finagling my list trying to balance $|oz but here's mine https://lighterpack.com/r/g9bf23 (you can see you can designate some gear as what you will wear so you have two separate weights (little coat icon))

I'd like to see a sticky thread with just links to geargrams, lighterpack or similar sites.

Nice gear list. As other may have said I would worry about the march start with the pad insulation. You are likely to see freezing temps starting that soon. I don't sleep so warm so I can only go off of my experience with my 14 years of living in Hawaii. I get cold easy. Better to bring some warmer stuff for the elevations in th smokies then send it home or bounce it as you need. I'll bring similar gear if I started in May but your experience may suit your style as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyler View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I personally prefer this site for managing preparing my gear list https://lighterpack.com/

I'm still finagling my list trying to balance $|oz but here's mine https://lighterpack.com/r/g9bf23 (you can see you can designate some gear as what you will wear so you have two separate weights (little coat icon))

I'd like to see a sticky thread with just links to geargrams, lighterpack or similar sites.
    Awesome. I'm going to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    Nice gear list. As other may have said I would worry about the march start with the pad insulation. You are likely to see freezing temps starting that soon. I don't sleep so warm so I can only go off of my experience with my 14 years of living in Hawaii. I get cold easy. Better to bring some warmer stuff for the elevations in th smokies then send it home or bounce it as you need. I'll bring similar gear if I started in May but your experience may suit your style as you see fit.
    Good thought. I run very warm. Those old stories about people that spontaneously combust...that would be me. This past New Years I hiked and camped in the smokies. The daytime temps were in the 20's. I brought a 30 quilt and was plenty warm.

Nice list. Very light.

My $0.02 worth for a 3/13 start: add rain pants & possibly consider taking MicroSpikes. I had several very cold rains during my first couple of months. W/O rain pants, it would have been hypothermia-city for me. Ice & packed snow can vary from year to year. In 2013, it was bad & I wished I'd carried my MicroSpikes. My buddy hiked the AT last year starting a few days earlier. He never needed them. During my hike, I ran into people who fell & injured themselves (had to stop their hike). You can send home your MicroSpikes later (Hot Springs?). When warmer weather comes, you could ditch the rain pants (might pick them up again when you get to the White Mtns).

To help keep the packweight down, have more frequent food resupplies. Camel-up on water at your water source & carry minimal water between water sources.

I wish you luck on your hike. If you're a planner-type, you might look at my itinerary in the signature line of my post. I was 58 when I hiked the AT (I don't know how old my knees were.... I definitely had a lot of miles on them).
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Electronics list is longer than your clothing list ***?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Nice list. Very light.

My $0.02 worth for a 3/13 start: add rain pants & possibly consider taking MicroSpikes. I had several very cold rains during my first couple of months. W/O rain pants, it would have been hypothermia-city for me. Ice & packed snow can vary from year to year. In 2013, it was bad & I wished I'd carried my MicroSpikes. My buddy hiked the AT last year starting a few days earlier. He never needed them. During my hike, I ran into people who fell & injured themselves (had to stop their hike). You can send home your MicroSpikes later (Hot Springs?). When warmer weather comes, you could ditch the rain pants (might pick them up again when you get to the White Mtns).

To help keep the packweight down, have more frequent food resupplies. Camel-up on water at your water source & carry minimal water between water sources.

I wish you luck on your hike. If you're a planner-type, you might look at my itinerary in the signature line of my post. I was 58 when I hiked the AT (I don't know how old my knees were.... I definitely had a lot of miles on them).
    Sure thing Carl. I'll definitely check it out. There's are pretty good resupply location list here on White Blaze that I've been studying along with the AT guide. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Electronics list is longer than your clothing list ***?
    I know. I've got a young daughter who is going to miss her dad so I want to her to be able to track (Delorme) me and talk to when she wants. I know what your saying but it's go to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Nice list. Very light.

I just checked out your itinerary. That's a gold! Hopefully other 2017's NoBo's will check it out. BTW, I ordered the Zpacks cuben rain kilt. I have micro-spikes already and will keep them on stand-by. Thanks again.

Journal Entries
    Images

An alternative to the FitBit if you don't need screenshots.

AT Miles = ~2189 = ~5,000,000 steps = ~2284 steps per mile + Terrain Difficulty = Bragging Rights
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    An alternative to the FitBit if you don't need screenshots.

AT Miles = ~2189 = ~5,000,000 steps = ~2284 steps per mile + Terrain Difficulty = Bragging Rights
    I like your thinking!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++