WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Gated Parking at Rainbow Falls Trailhead

In the area of the Bullhead/Rainbow Falls Trail heads, a secondary parking lot became a gated parking lot a few years ago.
    I've been told this parking lot has something to do with LeConte Lodge.
    Does anyone have any details on this parking lot?

Images

i believe its for the trailers that they use for the llamas along with for guests of the lodge............

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thought it had something to do with LeConte Lodge... at least that's what someone from A-Walk-In-The-Woods told me last time I used their shuttle service in that area.

Since TNhikker confirmed that it was indeed associated with the lodge, I gave them a call. They indicated the closure of Alum Cave Trail for restoration work had put a strain on Lodge guest looking for adequate parking which resulted in the gated lot. It turns out I actually have an email message providing me the current gate code. I just didn't see it because it was in the details about the Alum Cave Trail closure I skipped over.

BTW, anyone needing to use the gated parking lot, the current code is *****

Images

They indicated the closure of Alum Cave Trail for restoration work had put a strain on Lodge guest looking

yeah..............thats what i had heard the reasoning was as well.............

Images

I just didn't see it because it was in the details about the Alum Cave Trail closure

any good details about the trail and how its going?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    A couple months ago I took the Alum Cave Bluff trail to Mt. LeConte. It had been 28 years since I last hiked it. The breathtaking cliff edges I recalled now have trees growing on the downhill side blocking the view and potential for a bad fall. So it's no longer quite as dramatic a hike, but it was very cool and does have many really good views. They are doing work on it and the hike was pleasant. Honestly, as it stands now the trail is better than most in the Smokies as far as maintenance goes.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked it this time last year where restoration work had reached just below Inspiration Point below Alum Cave Bluff.
    I'm guessing you've seen old news like this news article from Nov 2015.
    The biggest and most obvious change is Arch Rock. For those of us familiar with the old steep stair case, the work they did in Arch Rock is just breath-taking. The best image of the new stair case I can find is shown in this news article from June 2016.

Images

thanks...

mainly wonderin if it had an update on completion date and all that.....

i was up on alum cave trail for work a few weeks ago shooting a story about the work that they are doing...

it was for air for our annual telethon.....

and yeah, arch rock was really nice---we spent about a half hour in there waiting out the rain...

then we went up to alum cave where just below they were putting in some new steps...

thats where we had shot the story.....

Images

here is a link to the story we did...

http://www.wbir.com/features/buildin...rail/307185433

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

here is a link to the story we did...

http://www.wbir.com/features/buildin...rail/307185433
    Thanks for the link...
    The picture of the stairs isn't a very good angle to really show off how much of am improvement that's going to be getting up that hill. Can't wait to see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    In the area of the Bullhead/Rainbow Falls Trail heads, a secondary parking lot became a gated parking lot a few years ago.
    I've been told this parking lot has something to do with LeConte Lodge.
    Does anyone have any details on this parking lot?
    When we booked a reservation at LeConte Lodge, we got an email with entry code a few days before our hike up:

Starting on May 4, 2015 Alum Cave Bluff Trail and associated parking lots will be CLOSED Monday through Thursday for major trail reconstruction through the Trails Forever program. This will be a two year project. Due to limited parking at other trailheads, guests are encouraged to car pool and arrive early to secure a parking space at all parking areas. A gated parking area has been set up at the SECOND lot at Rainbow Falls Trailhead parking area on Cherokee Orchard Road for LeConte Lodge overnight guests. Please use this lot if space is available so that day hikers may use the first lot. No spaces will be guaranteed. The access code during your stay is ****.

Based on this, I assume the gate will be removed after the Alum Cave trail project is completed.

++ New Posts ++