WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GAME 06

jeremys

very useful for folks to see how easy it is to spend a lot.

gracebowen

Check the links they will help you. One of the ways folks end up spending a lot more than they intend to is that almost everyone falls into a group of hikers who become your buddies for a time if not the whole trail. Just hanging with them and accommodating everyone's desires and trying not to get separated from them will naturally run one into more stops and zeros and hotels and restaurants. It just adds up quickly. And slacking as the first link describes will add costs quickly also.

I have the money. But one of my goals on thee AT is to hike for as cheap as possible for a disciplined learning experience. I have some ld hiking experience and I know for new people the allure and comfort a town visit does for one after a few tough days on the trail. After lightening my load and becoming a more efficient hiker. I find I have less and less of those tough day stretches and no longer feel the need to stay in town every few days. Out here in the East. I'm usually gross after two weeks hiking in our woods, and looking for laundry and a shower.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1100 for a resturaunt meal. Speechless. I know I will have to be very careful with money. I am used to it. I support 5 sometimes 6 people on 2500 a month.

Ive done the math and for me food mailed works. I can get a weeks worth of food for $50. I did the math and its enough calories. Shipping is $20 rounded up.

I dont expect to find the repetitive foods too oroblematic because I am used to it. I am also used to eating food I am not overly fond of just because its food.

If in a group and they go to a place I cant afford to actually eat at I can get the daily special or appetizer.
    I already do this so again I am used to it. I also know ways to compensate for minor overspending. I can alyays head back to the trail and zero there if I dont want to leave my group behind.

I know my way wont work for everyone but I can make it work. Ive almost always been below the poverty level but I rarely feel poor. 2 years ago I got a part time job and I now make about $500 a year over the poverty level for my family size.

Looks like it'll be a while before I can afford my thru hike. Saving $35/ week, it's going to be quite a few years before I have saved the cash to hike AND pay mortgage. Looks like I'll need to have at least $10k saved prior to starting a thru; more if I want to be more comfortable. Fear of running out of money or having to pinch pennies for the last month of a long hike would take some of the pleasure out of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I know my way wont work for everyone but I can make it work. Ive almost always been below the poverty level but I rarely feel poor.
    You really don't know if your way will work for you either until you go out there and try. Hopefully it will. It's really hard to resist a big meal or two or three in town when your really hungry or not to spend an extra day at the hostel when you get up and find it's still cold and raining out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

$1000/month and you will be comfortable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++