WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Two day trip suggestion

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Looking for recommendations for a one night trip the last weekend of October. Several in our group are experienced backpackers, but a couple are going for their first time, so we don't want anything too grueling. We're hoping for a trail that will showcase great fall foilage, and a great campsite is a plus. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Images

Given the date it may be snowing up high . But you would have a shelter, the hike in might be pretty tough in snow too.
    How many are in the group?
    What side of park do you want to hike on.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Images

Look at cataloochee. Site 41 is nice. There are elk sometimes in the fields. Old growth timber on the boogerman trail and multiple routes to choose if you want to go up to the divide or loop with the rough fork trail .

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Look at cataloochee. Site 41 is nice. There are elk sometimes in the fields. Old growth timber on the boogerman trail and multiple routes to choose if you want to go up to the divide or loop with the rough fork trail .

Hey gollwoods, thanks for the info. There will be 7 or 8 of us. I'll check out site 41, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Given the date it may be snowing up high . But you would have a shelter, the hike in might be pretty tough in snow too.
    How many are in the group?
    What side of park do you want to hike on.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If fall foliage is what you are after, you DO NOT want upper elevations the last week of October. The deciduous trees will have already lost all their leaves up there.

With the details you provide, my 1st thought was a hike in the area of Abram's Falls on the far end of Cades Cove.

If you want a loop hike, park at the trailhead for Abrams Falls and follow Rabbit Creek to campsite 16. (Nothing special about campsite 16, it's just a good mid-point for doing a loop). Next day, follow Hannah Mtn Tr to Abrams Falls Trail where you'll get to ford Abram's Creek (that time of year, likely to be about knee deep or so). Then turn up Abram's Creek back to the trailhead where you'll see great vista of Abram's Creek and Abram's Creek Falls (on of the prettiest falls in the entire park I think).

If you want a nicer campsite, hike Abram's Falls Trail to campsite 17. This site is a little wider and flatter than 16, and there's something of a small "beach" beside Abram's Creek that makes a great place to take your stove and cook dinner.

Niether trail is strenuous (as far as the typical GSMNP trail goes). So I think it would be interesting enough to experienced campers yet easy enough for beginners.

Images

Or to campsite 15....

15 and 17 are much better sites that 16.....

16 might not have water that time of year...

and thats what I was thinking as well---by the end of October, it will be past peak for most places........

Images

Lakeshore trail on the north side of Fontana lake. Amazing views and easy hiking...worth looking at for sure.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Lakeshore trail on the north side of Fontana lake. Amazing views and easy hiking...worth looking at for sure.
    Can you elaborate? Given that the OP specified one night with beginners, I can't picture a good hike along Lakeshore.

I've hiked Lakeshort between Proctor and Fontana, and you're doing so much up and over hills away from the water that I don't recall good views (thought I might not have been there in October).

I've only hiked the parts at the other end to reach Forney Creek. So the only thing I could picture out that way is doing an out-and-back to 98... but I haven't hiked to 98 to give any recomendations there.

Of course there are also boat shuttle potentials, but the OP isn't going to know about that without some elaboration.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll look into all of these. What would Gregory Bald be like that time of year? Both from foilage and water availability.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

At the moment, the biggest issue with Gregory Bald is that campsite #13 is closed due to bear activity (and has been for a while.... so I'm hoping it won't be long before they open it back up).

Otherwise, the bald is at an elevation of 5,000'. So the leaves should be well past their peak in late October. But because the trail starts down in Cades Cove, you should have some great fall colors (weather willing) along the lower reaches of the trail as you climb to the bald. You will also have views down into Cades Cove from the bald where you should see some great color.

Water likely will not be an issue. Even in a year where water warnings were being issued, I've been able to get water from the trickle that is the water source for CS#13. But the better thing to understand is that the water source is located about 0.2 miles (and about a 150' to 200' elevation drop) down Gregory Bald Trail from the campsite.

The preferred alternative for those approaching from the east side of the bald is to water up at Moore Spring... it is a nicer and from what I understand a more reliable water source than the one located closer to camp. To find Moore Spring, simply note that the trail map makes it look like there is a 4-way intersection of Gregory Bald, Gregory Ridge, and Long Hungry Ridge at Rich Gap. But in reality, the intersection with Long Hungry Ridge is actually about a tenth of a mile to the east of the Gregory Bald/Gregory Ridge intersection. However, this is still a 4 way intersection as strait across from Gregory Ridge Trail you should find a trail with a sign simply marked "No Horses" (with H2O scrached into it). Follow that trail for over a quarter mile and you will come to an opening in the forest canopy at Moore Spring. From the Spring, you do not have to back-track all the way to Gregory Ridge Trail. Instead, when you return to the edge of the forest opening, look up hill for a trail that will take you directly to Gregory Bald Trail. If you don't see the trail, simply start heading uphill. you'll eventually run over the Gregory Bald trail in about a tenth of a mile.

Thanks HooKooDooKu. Looks like #13 is still closed, and I'll need to reserve a campsite this week.

Came across one other option that looks intriguing, but I'm wondering if it's too tough for beginners. And these are beginner backpackers, but half-marathoners who are in excellent shape. Would it be too strenuous to start at Anthony Creek or Lead Cove, hike up to campsite #9 and unload our tent and other gear, then continue up to Rocky Top/Thunderhead Mountain, returning back to camp around dark? Would you all recommend Anthony Creek or Lead Cove over the other? Think we'd be safe leaving our tents at the campsite unattended for a few hours? Thanks.

Images

I would not leave anything unattended in the Smokys because of the Bears/squirrels/mice/raccoons! If you left it hanging on the bear cables and set up camp when you got back it might be OK. Take all your food with you.

Images

thats a good uphill climb to get to rocky top.....

not saying it cant be done----especially with day packs........

but they might hate you a little...

yeah.....hang your food........and maybe hang some gear (stove etc etc)...

i would think tent and stuff inside should be fine....

ive never had a problem but ive always worried about it......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been watching #13 everyday hoping that it will get reopened. I've heard it has been closed most of the summer, and I'm just about to run out of hope that it will open before my planned trip.

As for your alternate plans, Hiking up Anthony Creek makes for a total of about 10 miles with a 3,500' elevation climb followed by a 2,200' decent. If you start at Lead Cove, add 500' of elevation change to both numbers to account for the 0.7 mile hike from Bote Mtn down to #9 (and another 0.7 miles back up).

As TNhiker says, that's a good uphill climb... and the hike back down isn't a piece of cake either. I seem to recall the trail is pretty steep and rocky as you start down Bote Mtn coming off the AT.

Sounds like your friends are physically fit, so they likely can complete the hike, but hiking with a pack on your back up and down steep hills is going to be different than running a marathon.

So here's my next suggestion:
    Park at the trial head for Abrams Falls at the far end of Cades Cove Loop. Make a loop out of Rabbit Creek/Hannah Mtn/Abrams Falls, camping at #17.
    The total distance for day 1 would only be about 8 miles, would not include any strenuous hills. You would be in the low lands, where fall colors might be at their peak. You would also experience having to ford several nice creeks... starting with Mill Creek right at the trail head, Rabbit Creek near campsite #15 (both simple fords), and then Abrams Creek (typically about knee deep). Campsite #17 is a nice campsite. It sits on a flat hillside to the right of the trail and used to be a homestead with remains of an old rock wall I believe. Abrams Creek sits on the left where there is a small "beach" (when my son and I camped there, we took our food and stove down to the "beach" for dinner). The next day is a relatively simple 5 miles back to the car, where you get to pass Abrams Falls... what I personally believe to be the prettiest of all the popular water falls in the park.

You can go ahead and make reservations for this site now (as later this month, I would expect it to fill up for an October weekend). In the mean time, you can continue to watch for #13 to open up. If it does, simply call the back country office and get them to change your reservation from #17 to #13.

Images

I've been watching #13 everyday hoping that it will get reopened. I've heard it has been closed most of the summer

that is true----probably been closed for close to 3 or more months now...

it closed shortly after the spence field incident....

i doubt 13 will reopen til it cools down significantly.......

Quote Originally Posted by BBTP View Post
    Thanks HooKooDooKu. Looks like #13 is still closed, and I'll need to reserve a campsite this week.

Came across one other option that looks intriguing, but I'm wondering if it's too tough for beginners. And these are beginner backpackers, but half-marathoners who are in excellent shape. Would it be too strenuous to start at Anthony Creek or Lead Cove, hike up to campsite #9 and unload our tent and other gear, then continue up to Rocky Top/Thunderhead Mountain, returning back to camp around dark? Would you all recommend Anthony Creek or Lead Cove over the other? Think we'd be safe leaving our tents at the campsite unattended for a few hours? Thanks.
    I did this same trip several years ago. the mileage was a little ambitious for us but the hike wasn't that bad considering we only had packs on for the first 3ish miles. Rocky Top is pretty awesome. I've done the Lead Cove approach, too. I think I prefer Lead Cove but not enough to justify the extra mileage. Bote Mountain is pretty boring --wide, rocky former road bed-- until you get above the Anthony Creek intersection.

keep in mind that you can't overnight park at the Anthony Creek Trailhead... gotta park around the corner at a lot in the Cades Cove Campground, which adds a bit to your trip... that might actually make it even with the Lead Cove Route.

oh and CS9 was teeming with mice the last time I was there. you may want to consider hanging your whole packs (bringing a garbage bag as a rain cover), if you do venture from camp.

I think the area just north of the park is pretty nice.
    Why not go there and avoid all the hassles you have in the park?
    Max Patch comes to mind.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    ...keep in mind that you can't overnight park at the Anthony Creek Trailhead... gotta park around the corner at a lot in the Cades Cove Campground, which adds a bit to your trip...
    My numbers include the 0.6 mile road walk from the Cades Cove Campground parking lot to the back end of the picnic area where the Anthony Creek Trailhead is located... though you can shorten that walk just a tiny bit and avoid getting on the road if you walk towards the back of the campground and ford/rock hop the creek that separates the campground from the picnic area.

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up booking site 17, the elevation gain had me too nervous with the big group. I'm going to keep any eye on 13 for it to re-open too though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++