WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There was a AT thru hiker named "Tenderfoot" hiking in Crocks this year and as far as I know, he did the whole trail in them. I don't know how he did it. Personally, I can't keep them on my feet and find them very uncomfortable. But I guess they do work for some people.
    I love them, I have now put about 65 miles on them but have not tested them in all day rain walking. I am worried about their traction control. I hope that the Altras are a shoe conversion to how the crocs feel on my feet.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking in Crocs Full time

Just my thoughts. I would NEVER hike in crocks any more than around the camp or shelter or to the water source (if not too far or rough) But I don't have very strong ankles. Plus I saw a documentary not too long ago in which an AT hiker had to be rescued on the trail in Maine when he couldn't walk any more. He was hiking in Crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    My original Waldies rubber clogs are great, but they get very slippery on wet surfaces. Like "break your neck" slippery. Not sure how Crocs fare in those conditions, but I'd want to know before counting on them for a long hike.
    I've found that crocs wear out fast, and when they are worn down they are "break your neck slippery." They aren't bad when new. I love Crocs, but would never consider them for a hiking shoe. They are great camp/river crossing shoes (when not too worn out).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I am a traditional boot wearer, but have been considering changing to a trail runner. Couple of concerns: 1- I am very heavy, so wear and tear would be maximum. 2-I carry a heavy pack (40#). 3-I am famous for kick rocks and roots when my legs get tired toward the afternoons.

Would trail runners be a smart choice for me to even look at really?
    I'd have to say, "try it, but maybe not yet." When I get into regular hiking, I start to shed the excess weight. The excess pack weight - well, you know what to do about a lot of it. The rock kicking - I find that I still kick rocks when I'm in boots. In trail runners, my feet seem more nimble.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'd have to say, "try it, but maybe not yet." When I get into regular hiking, I start to shed the excess weight. The excess pack weight - well, you know what to do about a lot of it. The rock kicking - I find that I still kick rocks when I'm in boots. In trail runners, my feet seem more nimble.
    Thanks AK. I lighter weight on my feet is enticing, but I do like the protected feel of the boots too. I feel like they can handle me, ya know? And the hard toes of the boots have saved my toes. My legs get lazy at the end of the day and I begin to drag them a little more. I can't imagine nailing one of those rocks in thin little running shoes. Maybe a little farther down the road for me, then.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2093661]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There was a AT thru hiker named "Tenderfoot" hiking in Crocks this year and as far as I know, he did the whole trail in them. I don't know how he did it. Personally, I can't keep them on my feet and find them very uncomfortable. But I guess they do work for some people.
    I was doing a section hike back in early March this year. Met a guy named "Tenderfoot" just north of Sam's Gap at I26 and again at Curly Maple Gap shelter and caught up with him again at Cherry Gap shelter just before Iron Mountain Gap. He was preaching to me about my pack size/weight and how it was slowing me down, yet I caught up with him twice in 5 days. I'm pretty sure he was wearing sneakers at that time.

Got my Altras in the mail, really like the toe box and the left foot is 100% good to go. Getting some good heel slip out of the right food, don't know how to correct that yet

Journal Entries

Here is an option...down at the bottom of this page: https://www.altrarunning.com/run-better Check out the "Altra Alternate Lacing" section.

Alternatively here is a related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cam2JsVpNzM

At first I was concerned about the slight heel slipping I felt in my Altras and this lacing method did help. But, now-a-days on moderate terrain I wear them so loose they slip around and don't bother me a bit.
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I love them, I have now put about 65 miles on them but have not tested them in all day rain walking. I am worried about their traction control. I hope that the Altras are a shoe conversion to how the crocs feel on my feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Just my thoughts. I would NEVER hike in crocks any more than around the camp or shelter or to the water source (if not too far or rough) But I don't have very strong ankles. Plus I saw a documentary not too long ago in which an AT hiker had to be rescued on the trail in Maine when he couldn't walk any more. He was hiking in Crocs.
    Gambit, now that we've done a bit of the trail in Maine and NH, I can see just how important traction is on those sections of the trail. The trails I'm used to here in the South have their challenges, but I learned a thing or two up north. There are MANY spots where you have to walk up or down steep rock slabs. By steep, I mean in the neighborhood of 45° (maybe they're less than this, but they feel like much more!) Usually there's not much available for handholds, and the rocks are too smooth to safely plant a trekking pole. The only way for me to walk up these rock slabs is to rely on the grip of my shoes. At home I'm a barefoot girl outdoors and use crocs when I need to (thorns, sharp rocks, winter, etc), but I wouldn't even dream of trusting those crocs on those slabs.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Gambit, now that we've done a bit of the trail in Maine and NH, I can see just how important traction is on those sections of the trail. The trails I'm used to here in the South have their challenges, but I learned a thing or two up north. There are MANY spots where you have to walk up or down steep rock slabs. By steep, I mean in the neighborhood of 45° (maybe they're less than this, but they feel like much more!) Usually there's not much available for handholds, and the rocks are too smooth to safely plant a trekking pole. The only way for me to walk up these rock slabs is to rely on the grip of my shoes. At home I'm a barefoot girl outdoors and use crocs when I need to (thorns, sharp rocks, winter, etc), but I wouldn't even dream of trusting those crocs on those slabs.
    Exactly! One cannot emphasize enough in these types of discussions that context matters greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I will be hiking the entire trail so this is very helpful. I did enjoy my hiking time in crocs, they saved my feet till I found a better option. I think I am done with Salomons forever, just not the right design for me

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I will be hiking the entire trail so this is very helpful. I did enjoy my hiking time in crocs, they saved my feet till I found a better option. I think I am done with Salomons forever, just not the right design for me
    They make good around town, yard work shoes.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Did anybody say Altras yet? They've completely solved my mashed-like-a-grape pinky toe problems.

spent the whole day on Crocs today, shopping and running errands, and it made me think of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Did anybody say Altras yet? They've completely solved my mashed-like-a-grape pinky toe problems.
    I now have 2 pair 1 pair for hiking, one for every day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++