WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Silpoly - good for a rain kilt

I have some spare silpoly. Would this be good for a rain kilt?

Jim

theoretically it should be better than silnylon because it is not supposed to absorb water but I guess it would be up to the individual cloth sample...

Thanks,
    I will go for it. Should get some real field testing this fall.

Jim

I made a rain kilt out of the cheapest lightweight ripstop nylon stuff sold at the local fabric store. I tested it by stretching it loosely over a bowl and poured a cup of water over it. After an hour I checked if it was dripping, it was. Sprayed it with some silicone water guard.

It performed perfectly on the trail, as my shorts and their contents stayed dry. When I wasn't using it, it got rolled up into a tiny package and held with a rubber band. So basically, use what you have, it will probably work.

yeah, I agree. remember, a rain kilt really only has to deal with water in a vertical direction and there shouldn't be any seams except hems and at the opening. you should be fine...

Usually polyester fabric is more noisy than nylon.
    Not sure if that makes any difference in your case?

The trade offs are dry time, noise and durability. I will try to remember to report back on how the silpoly works out. I have some day trips planned for the fall and will proably catch rain on a few of them.

Jim

I've only ever used nylon based stuff- but I am also going to try some Poly based ones.

if nothing else- you own the fabric and it's in your hand.. that's usually the "best", lol.

The only drawback I could anticipate is it not moving with you very well.
    Unless the WP coating is bad, you shouldn't wet out- so drytime shouldn't matter unless you use a DWR only.

Noise... depends on who makes it.
    Stretch... depending on how you cut the skirt you may appreciate the movement of a nylon in a garment. In a tarp/hammock, the poly is getting popular because it doesn't stretch.

As other's said though... Any sil or PU fabric is plenty for a light use rain skirt.

The only thing I know does NOT work- is fabrics less than 1.6 oz in a plain skirt, there isn't enough weight/body to wear it right.
    In a rain skirt, seems the extra moisture/rain weight is enough for it to wear acceptably in a 1.1 oz fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The only thing I know does NOT work- is fabrics less than 1.6 oz in a plain skirt, there isn't enough weight/body to wear it right.
    In a rain skirt, seems the extra moisture/rain weight is enough for it to wear acceptably in a 1.1 oz fabric.
    What if you added a couple little weights (buttons?) to the hem of your plain skirt? Would that help it wear right? Would the weights just bring the total weight up to what the 1.6 oz fabric version would have been anyway?

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    What if you added a couple little weights (buttons?) to the hem of your plain skirt? Would that help it wear right? Would the weights just bring the total weight up to what the 1.6 oz fabric version would have been anyway?

-FA
    Hello young lady...

When I was using the .67 fabrics (M50) I had to put weights into the pockets just to keep in on me- that weight was stupid light.

The other issue is that as you sweat a little, the very light fabrics tend to cling to you and slide around... bit like a rain soaked pair of running shorts. So in any are you are taking bigger steps or jogging every time you lift your knee high the fabric clings a bit and keeps creeping up.

What may work in a 1 oz fabric is to use a grosgrain or even webbing at the hem... that was something I considered but haven't tried. In theory, even if it gets soaked (rain or sweat) the grosgrain would absorb water too and help hold the skirt in place better.

BUT... all said and done- we are talking two square yards of fabric or so. Yes it's an ounce- but for the daily wear plain skirts the heavier 1.6 and 1.9 is what I settled on. For a rain skirt- no biggie as you don't wear it much. But for a full time skirt that you will sit down, beat up, wear full time, etc... the sub 1oz fabrics wear out too easily- and hitting 2.5-3 ounces in a men's large I figured that 1.6 was light enough without going stupid.

Also- even in black- I had some complaints from a few ladies about the shadow lines/see thru nature of even 1.6 oz fabrics.
    In anything but black the .67's are basically see through. The 1.0 oz you need a good solid black, green, blue, or brown. Even some of the 1.6 in lighter shades (olives/khakis) got some complaints on that.

What is coming out shortly that I am excited about- Kyle at Ripstop by the roll is creating a Hybrid 1.6 Hyper D/Robic blend.
    Besides being great for bridge hammocks- I have a feeling that will become an ideal fabric for plain skirts.
    The HyperD is just a bit too soft and tends to spin on you while moving, while the Robic is a bit too stiff- so a hybrid weave could be exciting.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/outdoorink
    I did just order some of his 1.6 poly to try out as well though... now that Kyle is printing patters on demand.. might be cool to have a dragon scale or branch camo skirt.
    Or even a plaid one for the gentleman who can't quite bring themselves to call it a skirt.

Thanks Just Bill

Mine is 1.1 oz, so a bit light. I will leave the bottom hem open on the ends so that I can slide something in, if needed. Making the bottom hem larger than the 1/4" originally planned seems like a good change. Large enough to fit a length of 3/4" grosgrain. I may try to find some polyester ribbon and double it over for that. Only if needed.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    Thanks Just Bill

Mine is 1.1 oz, so a bit light. I will leave the bottom hem open on the ends so that I can slide something in, if needed. Making the bottom hem larger than the 1/4" originally planned seems like a good change. Large enough to fit a length of 3/4" grosgrain. I may try to find some polyester ribbon and double it over for that. Only if needed.

Jim
    You'll probably be fine for the rain skirt- it's wearing them full time (dry) that the 1.1 is too light. Keep in mind too, 1.1 in Sil (coated) is the base weight, so a finished weight 1.1 is closer to 1.4 oz/yd.

Like you said though- you can add later if needed. I'd suggest just a half inch hem (double rolled) for the bottom as is. If it ends up too wispy- you can sew a piece of ribbon or grosgrain on the inside of the hem.

I wouldn't normally seam seal one, but doing the side seam (assuming a flat felled style) would also help stiffen it just a bit.

I personally don't really like the rain skirt much to hike in, they get a bit clammy for dry hiking.
    Sounds like you're probably just slipping it over your shorts or wearing for laundry... for that the 1.1 sil is great.

++ New Posts ++