WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Enlightened Equipment vs Hammock gear quilts

Any users have any advice between these two mfg. I sold my 15* bag and replacing with a 10 or 20 degree quilt. I'm a 5'11" 210 stocky build ground powder who sleeps lil cold. Tend to sleep on stomach or back on an xtherm. Typical cold weather sleep wear includes quarter zip cap 4 hoody, cap 3 bottoms, micro dome Beanie, wool socks and liner gloves. Also have UL down parka, Houdini and OR helium 2 jacket available but usually layer these over the dogs sleeping bag. Was sold on the hammock gear burrow 20 but after comparing to EE prices are very similar for a warmer 10* vs 20* burrow which doesn't include storage sack or pad attachment cords as std. Anyone try or have both? Lead time is a little quicker at HG(3weeks) vs 5-7 at EE.....any advise appreciated as must order by Monday so will have before my Colorado sept hike....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I only have an opinion on EE, a biased one at that.

Very well made, good Customer service and overall a great value.

The strap system works very well. I have always purchased the Revelation series, 1 Karo baffle and 2 current design. I think the ability to open the quilt or close the foot box allows greater flexibility over wider temps

Overall I think they are pretty true to their advertised temp rating, but I tend to sleep warm

Email Tyler at EE with your specific need date. He was able to expedite mine in time for a trip.

Currently have 3 EE quilts in the family total. I agree they're rated conservatively for temperature. The straps are very nice for cold weather, but just get in the way on a lighter summer quilt IMO. Don't have a Hammock Gear quilt, but I looked at them as well and my recollection is that they were heavier with less options, but still looked well made.

I can also attest to the quality and customer service of EE. I love my quilt (the Convert actually). Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't regret my decision. I bought a 10F and have only been cold one time...because everything got damp, so not the quilt's fault.

Thx all.....

Between wine and I we have 5 HG quilts. Well made easy to adjust. Nice people to do business with.

TF

I don't always drink and answer questions. But when I do it's funny! Wife not wine!

Images

Nothing but awesome things to say about my old-school EE Rev X! Great customer service as well. This is not to say other companies are not great - I just have yet to deal with a different maker of backpacking quilts.

If you are worried about lead times and have a specific quilt (style, fill, & temp) in mind, you might want to contact EE to see if they have one that has not yet been listed under "Ready to ship." A friend of mine totally lucked-out and scored her quilt that way. It was shipped the very next day.

I have 4 EE quilts and happy with all of 'em! I love the pad attachment straps which permit the quilt sides to be pulled in so closely that it becomes almost as effective as a sleeping bag. For really cold weather quilts, I would recommend getting it in the wide version to accommodate this technique. This also permits the wearing of a down parka and down pants to greatly extend the comfort range. Using this technique I've slept very comfortably down to -6°F in my +20-deg Enigma (along with a very carefully tweaked sleeping mat system, of course).

this is a typical gear discussion imo. meaning that A) people like what they have bought, B) have little or no experience with both (or all) of the brands being brought into the debate and C) affirms the idea that if you stick with a reputable company, you will be satisfied with our purchase. With that being said, i am happy with my HG stuff. As no doubt I would be if I had bought my quilts from EE.

Images

I have an EE quilt, rated for 30* - I found it was good to about 45*! I generally turn into a furnace while sleeping, so I thought a 30* would be enough. it's not. I just added a couple of ounces of down to it, we'll see if it helps. Also, they are taking about 15 weeks to fill an order. I placed an order for another one, but had to cancel it. I would have gotten it when I returned from my trip.
    I have no experience with the other company. I do have a Jacks R Better Quilt rated to 0*. If the EE quilt is not warm enough for my CT hike next month, I will send it home for the JRB quilt.

I tend to sleep lil cold...supposedly the marmot helium was rated pretty accurate but I found it warm to around 30*....think I'll order the enigma at 10* from EE...hope they can fill my order as only have 5-6 weeks till the collegiate loop...they said should be able to fill.....

Ordering asap...EE enigma 20*...I'm 5'11" 210lbs so going with wide but I'm on the border for going with long being a stomach and back sleeper.....anyone have any opinions here???

I have a 40 degree regular length and im 5'11. The length is fine for me. I'm assuming you will have head insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I have a 40 degree regular length and im 5'11. The length is fine for me. I'm assuming you will have head insulation.
    Great thx....are u a stomach sleeper? Never thought about it but when on your stomach your feet tend to stretched out so actually lil taller....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Great thx....are u a stomach sleeper? Never thought about it but when on your stomach your feet tend to stretched out so actually lil taller....

I'm a side, back, stomach, and everywhere in between sleeper. For this reason, I'll probably stick to a sleeping bag for non summer trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I'm a side, back, stomach, and everywhere in between sleeper. For this reason, I'll probably stick to a sleeping bag for non summer trips.
    Ha sound like me...that's the reason I'm tired of mummy bags...I get tangled and twisted up...the hood is biggest bit!?....

Images

Hammock Gear quilts are top notch! Adam and Jenny are great people to do business with as well, can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Any users have any advice between these two mfg. I sold my 15* bag and replacing with a 10 or 20 degree quilt. I'm a 5'11" 210 stocky build ground powder who sleeps lil cold. Tend to sleep on stomach or back on an xtherm. Typical cold weather sleep wear includes quarter zip cap 4 hoody, cap 3 bottoms, micro dome Beanie, wool socks and liner gloves. Also have UL down parka, Houdini and OR helium 2 jacket available but usually layer these over the dogs sleeping bag. Was sold on the hammock gear burrow 20 but after comparing to EE prices are very similar for a warmer 10* vs 20* burrow which doesn't include storage sack or pad attachment cords as std. Anyone try or have both? Lead time is a little quicker at HG(3weeks) vs 5-7 at EE.....any advise appreciated as must order by Monday so will have before my Colorado sept hike....

If you ask the question here- the answer is EE
    If you ask the question at Hammock Forums- the answer is Hammock Gear.

As you said-
    HG doesn't offer all the ground sleeper functions you may appreciate (well done and several generations of use/feedback padstraps for ground use)
    HG does offer a slightly more radial cut bag (like a Katabatic Gear) which is a nice feature in colder temps.

EE has their proprietary baffle system, which many feel is superior to a traditional baffle style (like HG or UGQ)- although that's a personal opinion.
    If you don't want to play with your down as much- EE is better at reducing down movement (but still movable)
    If you do like to shake or pat your down to the sides, or top to adjust the warmth- HG is better for that.

EE offers 0, 10, 20 options
    HG offers 0 and 20- but you could overstuff a 20 a hair as that's an standard option they offer.

Other than that- you'd probably need a bit better apples to apples to compare finer details and it may simply come down to lead times.
    Both are quality bags from solid cottage guys... In theory; EE comes from a backpacking background and HG from a hangers point of view- but Tim at EE hammocks and the guys at HG backpack so ...

I like EE's shell material better than Dutch's Argon .67... but I like RBTR Membrane 10 best (like the Momentum fabric from thru-hiker)
    UGQ uses Membrane 10 in their stuff, but the lead times are pretty high there too- http://www.undergroundquilts.com/renegade/default.html

If you want to spend some big bucks- http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/
    This is newer cottage vendor who makes some very well cut and thought out bags for a western traveler. Those who use them love them, but I'm not one of them so hard to say. For a true cold weather quilt though- might be one of those once in a lifetime buys that justifies the cost.

If you have a wide pad (large xtherm) then you will likely not miss the pad strap kit as much as someone on a narrow pad if that helps any.

Somebody above mentioned sleeping cold in an EE bag in Colorado...

Regardless of the bag you choose; any flatlander jumping in to a higher elevation trail will suffer from the elevation change on a few fronts. One of the problems encountered is a tendency to sleep colder than normal by a 5-15 degrees until acclimated, so plan accordingly. Until you've done it enough to know how it affects you- hard to evaluate a bag's performance when the heating element is the only faulty equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    If you ask the question here- the answer is EE
    If you ask the question at Hammock Forums- the answer is Hammock Gear.

As you said-
    HG doesn't offer all the ground sleeper functions you may appreciate (well done and several generations of use/feedback padstraps for ground use)
    HG does offer a slightly more radial cut bag (like a Katabatic Gear) which is a nice feature in colder temps.

EE has their proprietary baffle system, which many feel is superior to a traditional baffle style (like HG or UGQ)- although that's a personal opinion.
    If you don't want to play with your down as much- EE is better at reducing down movement (but still movable)
    If you do like to shake or pat your down to the sides, or top to adjust the warmth- HG is better for that.

EE offers 0, 10, 20 options
    HG offers 0 and 20- but you could overstuff a 20 a hair as that's an standard option they offer.

Other than that- you'd probably need a bit better apples to apples to compare finer details and it may simply come down to lead times.
    Both are quality bags from solid cottage guys... In theory; EE comes from a backpacking background and HG from a hangers point of view- but Tim at EE hammocks and the guys at HG backpack so ...

I like EE's shell material better than Dutch's Argon .67... but I like RBTR Membrane 10 best (like the Momentum fabric from thru-hiker)
    UGQ uses Membrane 10 in their stuff, but the lead times are pretty high there too- http://www.undergroundquilts.com/renegade/default.html

If you want to spend some big bucks- http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/
    This is newer cottage vendor who makes some very well cut and thought out bags for a western traveler. Those who use them love them, but I'm not one of them so hard to say. For a true cold weather quilt though- might be one of those once in a lifetime buys that justifies the cost.

If you have a wide pad (large xtherm) then you will likely not miss the pad strap kit as much as someone on a narrow pad if that helps any.

Somebody above mentioned sleeping cold in an EE bag in Colorado...

Regardless of the bag you choose; any flatlander jumping in to a higher elevation trail will suffer from the elevation change on a few fronts. One of the problems encountered is a tendency to sleep colder than normal by a 5-15 degrees until acclimated, so plan accordingly. Until you've done it enough to know how it affects you- hard to evaluate a bag's performance when the heating element is the only faulty equipment.
    Thx JB!! Loads of great info! Since hearing great things about both I figured I'd go with the cheapest....EE enigma 20 in std/wide is lil better price including pad straps and storage sack....also like the fabric/color options better. Timing is tight but they said should be able to pull off. At 5'11" being a back/stomach sleeper I'm at the cut off for reg-long....what are your thoughts....reg vs long...I use the large xlite or large xtherm.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++