WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love to listen to the coyotes. My son and I went on a winter overnight back in February in Morgan Monroe State Park (Indiana) and they were very active between midnight and 3 a.m. There's nothing quite like being snugged down in a 5 degree sleeping bag in a vast wilderness listening to their conversations across the hillsides.

Quote Originally Posted by 35king View Post
    Growing up in the suburbs, makes going out into the woods and staying the night, slightly stressful. It's hard to feel at home when the worst thing you've grown up around is squirrels and rabbits. I'm sure people who live in the country feel not so much a stranger in the woods and more relaxed in nature. I put aside my fears and do it anyway, hoping that the more I do it, the more comfortable I feel. I went hammock camping for the first time a few weeks back. I woke up to pee a few times in the night. Heard coyotes howling in the distance and small snaps in the surrounding Forrest but nothing bugged me or my friends. Hoping to feel more comfortable with the whole idea the more I get out. Thanks for the stories guys!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore View Post
    Just read, never post, but I actually have a story to contribute. Last weekend I wanted to test some new gear in the rain so I spent the night near rocky run shelter in Maryland. At about 3:30 I woke up to some squeaking and rustling near my hammock. I swung my arm over the edge to take a peek out and smacked a raccoon that was under my hammock. He bit my hand and when I pulled my arm back he came with it into the hammock. I ended up fighting with him in the hammock for a while trying to get him off me. He bit both hands, left bicep, and right forearm. Once I got him off I packed my stuff up and high tailed it up the trail to my car. Ended up getting 8 shots at the ER. Luckily he didn't rip up any of my gear, I had a brand new quilt. I think he was just passing through when I startled him, all my food and items that smell were in a bear bag.
    OUCH!! Glad you're okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I love to listen to the coyotes. My son and I went on a winter overnight back in February in Morgan Monroe State Park (Indiana) and they were very active between midnight and 3 a.m. There's nothing quite like being snugged down in a 5 degree sleeping bag in a vast wilderness listening to their conversations across the hillsides.
    I enjoyed it as well.

I remember a warm, mosquito-ridden night at a Massachusetts campsite when I listened to coyotes howl mournfully through the night. Toward morning the howling turned into a mad chorus of barks, yips, and growls not far away, perhaps a feeding frenzy. Everything ended abruptly toward sunrise. I was in my hammock, and felt absurdly safe and happy to "attend" the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    tmoore, glad you are okay and not too freaked out by the incident (from the tone of your post). Your story wins the prize for this thread.

I was in his neighborhood and smacked him in the head, I wouldn't expect anything less. Now I know for the future to stay in the hammock and make some noise to scare any animals off instead of investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore View Post
    Just read, never post, but I actually have a story to contribute. Last weekend I wanted to test some new gear in the rain so I spent the night near rocky run shelter in Maryland. At about 3:30 I woke up to some squeaking and rustling near my hammock. I swung my arm over the edge to take a peek out and smacked a raccoon that was under my hammock. He bit my hand and when I pulled my arm back he came with it into the hammock. I ended up fighting with him in the hammock for a while trying to get him off me. He bit both hands, left bicep, and right forearm. Once I got him off I packed my stuff up and high tailed it up the trail to my car. Ended up getting 8 shots at the ER. Luckily he didn't rip up any of my gear, I had a brand new quilt. I think he was just passing through when I startled him, all my food and items that smell were in a bear bag.
    No ship!!! Crazy story! Damn coons are vicious! My African grey parrot just had its leg ripped off by a damn Coon! $1800 later bird is doing great. To make matters worse my dog caught the Coon and gave him a good arse chewing!!! He was unscathed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++