WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Friday-Monday hike

Hey everyone! Heading up to the Smokies next weekend for a hike from Friday morning to Monday morning and was curious if any of you have any good loops that you would recommend for a beginner hiker who wants to see some cool features and stay/camp up as high as possible on the mountains?

I've been hiking before up there around Clingmans dome and camped at 68 for night then came back up to see Andrews bald before leaving. Is there any other spots in the park that have backcountry sites on and balds or any higher peaks that would be included in a loop? Trying to get all of this planned in a short notice unfortunately so all help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. It's going to be memorial day weekend so hopefully you can point me to some cool sites that don't get too too crowded.

Thanks!!

Images

the campsite closest to gregorys bald was just closed this week due to bear activity.....

you could go up to CS 38 mount sterling.....

but you need to get reservations in pretty quick...

memorial day tends to bring out alot of people....

Journal Entries

I used the new reservation system for the first time just last night. Wasn't too hard to use.
    Go to https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/ and start exploring your options.

Perfect, thanks everyone. Do any of you know if there is parking at Noland creek near CS 65/67? Thinking about starting there then making the climb to Clingmans.

Whats the average distance a beginner hiker usually can cover in a day? Trying to plan this out as best as I can so I don't end up over my head lol

Images

yeah...

down on the road to nowhere----right before the bridge----theres a good sized parking lot there.....

and the trail is under the bridge......youll see a little side trail that will drop you down to the creek level to meet up with noland creek trail...

also, after campsite 64, you will have some creek crossings...........some will be mid calf or so............just be prepared........

as for beginner mileages----thats all relative.......as in-----what shape you are in......how much weight you are carrying..........etc etc etc...

but a good number to shoot for-----5 to 8 miles a day....

figure about 2 miles per hour......give or take..............and factor in elevation and all that nifty stuff...

but, dont take these mountains lightly......

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah...

down on the road to nowhere----right before the bridge----theres a good sized parking lot there.....

and the trail is under the bridge......youll see a little side trail that will drop you down to the creek level to meet up with noland creek trail...

also, after campsite 64, you will have some creek crossings...........some will be mid calf or so............just be prepared........

as for beginner mileages----thats all relative.......as in-----what shape you are in......how much weight you are carrying..........etc etc etc...

but a good number to shoot for-----5 to 8 miles a day....

figure about 2 miles per hour......give or take..............and factor in elevation and all that nifty stuff...

but, dont take these mountains lightly......
    Thanks so much for the info. Im thinking of parking there Friday morning and doing this loop:

1.) Friday morning hike Noland Creek from the parking lot you described to CS 61.

2.) Saturday hike from CS 61 up to Clingmans Dome, then down to Forney Creek and stay at CS 69 for the night.

3.) Sunday continue down Forney Creek towards CS 74

4.) Monday morning hike out through the bypass tunnel, back to the car.

Images

youll have a pretty good climb going up noland----especially after 61...

after that---for the most part----your trip is kind downhill..

just have to worry about distance at that point........

lots of history along that route..

noland creek has a few side trails to cemeteries.....

and of course, on forney creek, there the side trail to the old boiler.......

and coming down forney creek the lower part, youll see remnants of logging daze....

Yeah I was worried about making that initial hike from parking to 61.
    I think I should be fine, I'm a pretty athletic person.
    I remember heading down Forney creek to 68 there was a pretty good sized creek that I had to pass though that was running quick down hill haha.

Thanks for all of help!

Images

oh, from the parking lot to 61 isnt that bad...

its an old roadbed, so its a level slow climb........the real climb will be after 61...

oh, and forney creek has some creek crossings as well...........forgot about those.......

like between 69 and 74 youll have a couple.......

Maddron bald loop?

++ New Posts ++