WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 day loop. Suggestions or input.

This is my plan for this weekend, weather permitting (and that doesn't look so good at this point). Starting from the Deep Creek campground hike Deep Creek Trail, Martins Gap Trail, return on Indian Creek Trail. Maybe camp at CS 58 or 57. I know this is a short loop but I can't leave until Saturday morning and it's about a 4 hour drive. Anyone have experience with this loop? HooKooDooKu?

Images

i havent done those trails as a loop, but have hiked them all...

i would take 58 over 57....

57 is a horse camp that would tend to get used a bunch.........

that will be an easy stretch to do (all relative of course).................youll have some uphill on martins gap............but its short.....

Yeah I was thinking that about the horse camp. Thanks.

I don't remember the campsites, so unfortunately I cannot help you there.

But I do recall that my favorite trail in that area was Noland Divide. Some great ridge walking with good views.

Enjoy your trip. My motto is, "when in doubt, stay at the non-horse camp"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I haven't stayed at 57 or 58... but I stayed at 59 several years ago as part of a 2 night hike with kids doing the full length of Deep Creek trail from New Found Gap Road to Deep Creek. That campsite, at the time at least, had a picnic table at it and a nice small spot beside the creek.

Yea, I've been looking at the weather because I too was planning a 1 night hike in GSMNP this weekend. With the rain, I don't think mountain views are going to matter much. Usually when the weather forecast looks this bad, I try to stay at a shelter... that at least gives you some walking around room and somewhere to get out of the rain.

With the thru hikers this time of year, the shelter that would be less crowded would be Laural Gap shelter. You can do an over night loop to Laural Gap by driving down into Cataloochee. Hike up Pretty Hollow Gap and Sterling Ridge to get to the shelter. The next day, you can hike down Balsam Mountain to Balsam Mtn Rd. It's then a 0.7 mile road walk to connect with Palmer Creek. The hike would be about 10 miles each day.
    At this moment, Laural Gap shelter has availability.

Another off-the-AT shelter that currently has one spot open is Kephart shelter. It's only 2 miles from the road, so if you just want to get into the woods rather that do some hiking, that's an easy in-and-out... there's even some interesting history along that trail. Or... if you can handle the mileage, you can make a loop out of Kephart with Kanati Fork, Thomas Divide, New Found Gap Road (1.5 miles down hill), 1.7 mile "quiet Walkway" that is the old New Found Gap Road (not sure this is an "official" trail, but its plainly visible in satellite images), AT, and Sweat Heifer. But that's about a 15 mile walk from Kanati to Kephart.

One loop I had planned for this weekend (but decided to find something shorter because of the rain predictions) was to start from Tremont and make a loop out of Middle Prong, Greenbrier Ridge, AT, Miry Ridge, and Lynn Camp, staying at either BC#26 or BC#28.

If you want something "simple" (other than dealing with crowds in Cades Cove), hike down to #17. The campsite is large and flat, located near Abram's Creek, and of course you get to check out Abrams Falls and then avoid the crowds.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Oh, and of course there's "The Road to NoWhere" (Lakeview Drive).
    The thing I've done here before is to hike Goldmine Loop to #67. The next day, finish Goldmine Loop and return via Tunnel Bypass.
    If you want something longer in the area, you can stay at #74 (never been there myself) or head up Forney Creek to #70 or #71. #70 is a much better campsite.

Images

74 is a pretty big campsite...............with horse usage and boaters as well..........

if i were in that area----id go up to 75..............

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The weather forecast for last weekend never improved so we ended up going south of Atlanta for better weather. As it stands now we are planning to go to the Smokies next weekend and we will look at the trails suggested above.

++ New Posts ++