WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail Magic ... need previous thru-hikers opinions on where and when

I don't know how to search the forum for similar topics without getting eleventy billion threads...

So, there's no chance in hell that I'll make the Class of '16 as a thru hiker. Putting it off until '17 where it will happen come hell or high water. The next best way to meet all of the retards that are the Class of '16 is to provide trail magic. I live in Baltimore, the gf in Harrisburg. For those on Appalachian Trials on Facebook, I've already asked this question but figured the more input the better. Assuming MD or PA, where would be the best place to set up? So far the consensus (of about 2 or 3 people) is somewhere on the northern end of the PA trail. Where did WV, MD, PA beat you up the most? Where did you need trail magic and not find any?

I don't mind hiking a few miles in from a cross road. I don't mind a drive of a few hours. I was originally thinking as far from a shelter as possible but a shelter would be less impact and a place people can relax without sitting on misshapen rocks. The furthest from a trail town and most unexpected is what I'm looking for.

Another question would be ... when? It'll have to be weekends as I'll still be a working slob but when do NOBO, SOBO, and Flip-Flops start arriving at your suggested location en masse?

Costco dogs are 1) good 2) cheap 3) and most importantly 1/4 lb each. A few bags of oranges, few of grapes maybe. I may get as fancy as actually making something (brownies, cookies, etc). Oh and of course a cooler full of sodas, gatoraides and whatnot.

I did an extensive search for you;
    Probably the best possible place on the whole trail to do magic is at this location- http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/volunteer

Good, cheap, and most importantly at a 1/4 mile each trip all the retards* will really appreciate true magic. The trail has enough magicians.

*I know you were joking.

Images

The next best way to meet all of the retards that are the Class of '16 is to provide trail magic.
    Not all of them are retards. Only about 25% per ATC.
    Another question would be ... when?
    Likely in late May thru June and even early July. You'll have to wait for them. Be patient. 'Cause they're slow.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-16-2016 at 14:34.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Some folks these days take offense when you say "retard". The PC term is "Intellectual or Developmental Disability"...just sayin'
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Some folks these days take offense when you say "retard". The PC term is "Intellectual or Developmental Disability"...just sayin'
    Agree 100%.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Yes, and "retard" was originally the polite word that was used as a replacement when it was decided that "Imbicile" was offensive. Both were actual academic terms, neither was intended to be derogatory when they were introduced. Thirty years from now people will be telling us that "Intellectual or Developmental Disability" is offensive and will provide us with a newer politically correct term to use. So it goes.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Yes, and "retard" was originally the polite word that was used as a replacement when it was decided that "Imbicile" was offensive. Both were actual academic terms, neither was intended to be derogatory when they were introduced. Thirty years from now people will be telling us that "Intellectual or Developmental Disability" is offensive and will provide us with a newer politically correct term to use. So it goes.
    Until then, I'll stick with retard. Anyone that is going to walk 2200 miles in the woods is pretty retarded, myself included. Also pretty sure that if you went looking for reasons a person could be committed to a insane asylum AGAINST their will, walking in the rain, walking in the woods alone, talking to one's self, etc. were all covered. You know, looking and acting like a thru hiker.

a thru-hike is no big deal so quit using the word retarded to describe walking

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I did an extensive search for you;
    Probably the best possible place on the whole trail to do magic is at this location- http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/volunteer
    Smartass!!

On a serious note, that's all trail maintenance and the like. I didn't see anything (only a quick glance) on providing trail magic. Did I miss something?

I'm actually looking to be away from wherever the clubs will set up. I would imagine they have the cross roads and parking lots covered. I want something like an especially brutal summit/descent, an extra special boulder field, ... something really nasty where a cold drink would really help.

Good, cheap, and most importantly at a 1/4 mile each trip all the retards* will really appreciate true magic. The trail has enough magicians.

*I know you were joking.
    Little bit of a misquote there Sparky!!

Anywho, how the hell can people get upset by something as mild as that and still claim to use the internet on a regular basis?!? I say if that was your biggest disappointment today, then your day was pretty damn good!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not all of them are retards. Only about 25% per ATC. Likely in late May thru June and even early July. You'll have to wait for them. Be patient. 'Cause they're slow.
    image.jpeg
    Watch your microaggressions bro

In the interest of not rehashing everything, take a look at this thread for all sorts of opinions on trail magic. Somewhere in that thread is the official ATC policy as well.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...er-feed-issues

I blathered on more than my share in that thread, but if you can't thru hike, just get out on the trail without the cash and prizes and talk to those who are interested in talking. Some of us don't need to be bribed to talk to other people.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 02-16-2016 at 16:15.

Images

Rather than a hiker feed sort if thing, who not meet thurs at a point along the trail where they could use a shuttle and offer rides? Such as Pine Grove Furnace.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Buy a shovel and an ax, Instead of food.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    image.jpeg
    Watch your microaggressions bro
    I've seen estimates as high as 30% are retarded enough to finish. Seems to be getting higher and higher as the yrs go by. That begs the question of ... Is the trail getting easier or are they building better retards these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    In the interest of not rehashing everything, take a look at this thread for all sorts of opinions on trail magic. Somewhere in that thread is the official ATC policy as well.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...er-feed-issues

I blathered on more than my share in that thread, but if you can't thru hike, just get out on the trail without the cash and prizes and talk to those who are interested in talking. Some of us don't need to be bribed to talk to other people.
    Wait, I'm supposed to talk to the thru hikers? They smell funny.

I'll check the link. Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Rather than a hiker feed sort if thing, who not meet thurs at a point along the trail where they could use a shuttle and offer rides? Such as Pine Grove Furnace.
    Not sure what's going on there. I could do shuttle rides I suppose. I did just buy a station wagon. If that thurs was meant to be Thursday or week days in general, that wouldn't work so well. Earliest I could start to shuttle would be 6pm or later.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Buy a shovel and an ax, Instead of food.
    I have multiples of both already. My chainsaw died tho. I could do a weekend thing for trail maintenance prior to busy traffic time.

Wild guess that "thurs" was an autocorrect from "them."

Images

Well damnit! It should be "why not meet thrus" as in plural thru. Combination fat fingers and auto correct.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    Well damnit! It should be "why not meet thrus" as in plural thru. Combination fat fingers and auto correct.
    Lol, that makes a little more sense. Shuttling would help 4 or 5 at a time times. Soda and water somewhere would help out more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    a thru-hike is no big deal so quit using the word retarded to describe walking
    and Lone Wolf scores again
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries
    Images

and Lone Wolf scores again
    There are a bunch of crotchety old farts in here (Whiteblazes as a whole). Wasn't sure how to take that reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    I've seen estimates as high as 30% are retarded enough to finish. Seems to be getting higher and higher as the yrs go by. That begs the question of ... Is the trail getting easier or are they building better retards these days?
    Don't think the trail itself is getting easier, could be douche bags* feeding people keep them in the game a little longer.

*said with much mirth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++