WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Hate the idea. I understand when I go into public I'm under near constant surveillance already. The difference is that this would be a public cam, where anyone can just sit back and observe for whatever purpose they want. Oh, a single female is camping in the shelter tonight. Oh, look at that $800 camera that guy just left unattended. I haven't posted a single image of myself online, ever. I know that's hard to understand in today's look at me, look at me, give me your online affirmation society, but I don't want to dance for your amusement.
    What a horrible idea and I agree with Puddlefish 10000%. We're already surveillanced enough. Unfortunately, I think this (single female coming into camp, merchandise, theft's, etc...) would happen and that would lead to more security issues then anything. The world is already too reliant on screens and heck.... here I am as well. Uhg!
    - Trail name: Thumper

I also don't want to see cameras along any trail.
    As others have stated, we have cameras on us at all times as it is. Just go here to see traffic cams all over the nation- http://www.trafficland.com/map . The Dept.of Transportation pays more for data on each camera than most pay for monthly rent, ($700+ per month, per camera). That is after they pay for the costs of building telco lines to the site.

You could look at the traffic cams located nearby the AT and get an idea of real-time weather.
    Here's some more cams at ski resorts in the Mid-Atlantic. http://www.resortcams.com/all-cams/

You could find countless others with a bit of searching.

It all started with putting cameras everywhere...

Images

If it's a good solar with battery backup along with satalite transmission you can have an independent camera. Though the cost would be so prohibitive to make it unfeasable. The only application I could see is a mobile unit for areas on the trail of repeated criminal activity or vandalism...like some parking areas or illegal grow sites. ....though again cost to benefit...

Stupid idea. How many miles has Gambit grabbed? I can't see one serious hiker wanting to be part of a couch potatoes "venture" outside. There are enough web cams pointing at mountain if you want to see the scenery. I personally do not want to be a part of some voyager's excitement when I am hiking. I'll stop here before my real opinion shows.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I can't see this webcam lasting a week. Weather, humans, critters would see to that. Would be a waste of much needed NPS funding. And a really, really bad idea.

Gambit you're joking right? Seriously. How nice it used to be when we had a bit of privacy anywhere anytime. Now surveillance cameras are like a cancer spread everywhere. At shelters or on the trail - no thanks. Got that right. No. Thanks. Nature connection is an in person, real time boots on the ground experience. No cameras needed.

A web cam at Mt Washington would be amusing. It is so entertaining up on the most dangerous weather mountain in the world. Such a mix of characters- I loved it.
    Anywhere else- no- that would really infringe on peoples privacy. Try to imagine the opus of snoring and farting episode during the wee hours in a full shelter. Nobody wants to see that!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    A web cam at Mt Washington would be amusing. It is so entertaining up on the most dangerous weather mountain in the world. Such a mix of characters- I loved it.
    Anywhere else- no- that would really infringe on peoples privacy. Try to imagine the opus of snoring and farting episode during the wee hours in a full shelter. Nobody wants to see that!
    There is a mountaintop webcam for Mt Washington. I'm having trouble getting the link on my phone, but google Mt Washington Observatory and you should be able to find it. They have an online weather station posted on the site as well. It was -38f up there last night before the windchill.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++