WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Number of Dry Sacs and Sizes

Hey, I'm planning on starting a thru in March. When it comes to food bags, what size dry sacs to people use? Also, how many do you use? One for food, one for electronics, and one for first aid?

Any and all replies are appreciated!

Thanks and Gig 'em,

Jordan Luna.

Look at the ZPacks Blast Food Bag. Or just get the bear bagging kit. Has everything you need for your food hanging system.

Quote Originally Posted by lunajo12 View Post
    Hey, I'm planning on starting a thru in March. When it comes to food bags, what size dry sacs to people use? Also, how many do you use? One for food, one for electronics, and one for first aid?&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    Any and all replies are appreciated!&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    Thanks and Gig 'em,&amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
    Jordan Luna.
    &amp;lt;br&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;

Jordan, congratulations on your choice to thru hike the AT. I did it in 2008, had a great time and also had a great deal of satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. For my food bag I used a Granite Gear bag, I don't remember the specifics, it was zippered, waterproof and about 2+ liter size. It holds enough food for up to 10 days for me. Food for during the day I just packed in a 1 gal Ziplock on the top of my pack. Otherwise a 1.5 L for my cookset including stove, 1/2 L bag for headlamp, small radio and spare batteries, 1 L for toiletries, medications, vitamins and first aid stuff, 1/2 L for spare socks, 2 L for base layer and very few spare clothes that I carried. If they were clean and/or dry I put my socks and rain gear in my clothes bag for a pillow. All of the bags except for the food bag were Outdoor bags I bought at Walmart, 3,000 miles later and all of my bags are going strong. Have a great time and hike safe. -Burro

Images

It all depends on how organized you like to be. I have three for food. I don't like to hunt through all the food I carry every meal so I have one for breakfasts and or snacks, one for lunches, and one for dinners. Also one for my "clean" or camp clothes. In cooler weather I might have a synthetic hoodie stuffed in a dry bag. Electronics for me is a cell phone with a camera, usually in the top of my pack or a pocket where I can get to it quickly, may put it in a ziploc if it's raining. First aid/personal hygiene is usually a ziploc baggie but a dry bag would work as well.

I use one big ole 20L drybag for my food. Probably bigger than truly needed but I did come close to filling it more than once towards the end when appetite was through the roof..anyways I just use a variety of gallon and quart Ziploc bags to keep stuff somewhat organized inside that drybag. Then I have one other little stuff sack as my ditty bag with all the small items, I use a couple Ziplocs there too. Everything else, clothing sleep system stove etc. I just stuff loose into my pack, everything that can't get wet is in a trash compactor bag.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Bag size depends on what you're carrying. A 10* synthetic sleeping bag is not going to fit into the same bag as a 40* down bag.
    I use the Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Dry Bags. One 8L for clothes, one 8L or 13L for my sleeping bag (depending on which one I'm using) and one 13L for food.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

My answer: None. Ziploc bags & a trash compactor bag should do it. A whole lot lighter and WAY cheaper. Less bulk too.
    Ziploc Big Bags if the 1 gallon size won't do.
    https://ziploc.com/en/products/closet-storage

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I use 3 . Got the cheep Walmart 3 pack of dry bags. Food bag , clothing bag , small stuff bag . Food bag weight is 1.5oz and it's the biggest . Clothing bag is my pillow . Works for me

thom

One small dry bag from Walmart for my FA kit and one for my toiletries. Sleeping bag, sleeping clothes and pillow go the sleeping bag's storage bag at the bottom of the pack. Clothes in the sil-nylon stuff sack my sleeping bag came with. Cooking gear (stove, pot, cozy, spork, fuel and lighter, and foodbag hanging line) in one of Walmart's stuff sacks (not the dry sacks).

Food bag is either a cheap nylon "backpack"...the kind with strings...for a 2-3 day trip or a 20L waterproof drybag for longer trips and is the same weight as the smaller 2-3 day bag. I went with the 20L because even when full I can add my toiletries and cook kit in the top to hang it so that everything remains dry if it rains. Anything that has a smell to bears goes in the 20L dry bag to be hung.

I should add that everything goes into a trash compactor bag inside my backpack as a precaution to keep everything dry.

Images

I kept everything in Sea to Summit dry sacks during my 2014 thru hike.
    20L bag for food
    10L bag for clothing
    8L bag for sleeping bag
    2 liter for toiletries
    2 liter for electronics
    1 liter as a wallet
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

Images

+1 on the Outdoor products dry bags like these https://www.campmor.com/c/outdoor-pr...3lfBoCRjzw_wcB also available at WalMart. I use the big one for food for up to 3 days. It also makes a good water tote. They make larger ones as well, like a 20 liter. One of the smaller ones get all my other stuff, which I don't really carry a lot of. My clothing goes in a Granite Gear Pillowsack. One side of it has a microfiber fabric that makes it a nice soft pillow. http://www.backcountrygear.com/grani...Vt9xoCBnfw_wcB
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-10-2016 at 11:33.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I discuss this in my gear list video. We are starting out around the same time (I'm heading out in a little over 2 weeks).
    Ryan "RyNO" Johnson
    NOBO 2016
    February 27th - July 1st
    www.youtube.com/RyanJohnsonAT2016

Images

I used a 13L Sea to Summit bag for my food, with the roll top it was easy to do the bear hangs. Once in a while, especially the day after a big resupply, there wasn't quite enough room in the 13L, so I would use the empty sleeping bag stuff sack for an extra food bag to hang at night. For lunches and snacks, I would place most of that food in a gallon size ziplock that went into the lid of my pack and the remaining snacks in my hipbelt pockets. That was my "lunch bag", which at the end of the day was just put in the 13L bag to be hung with the rest of the food. This helped to limit the digging around in my pack or food bag during the day. For the rest of my stuff, clothes, first aid, tolietries I used ziplocks, gallon and quart sized. Sleeping bag, tent and sleeping pad in the stuff sacks they came with. I also used a trash compactor bag inside the pack, never had anything in there get wet.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Images

Forgot about electronics. I had a Sealine bag for those, just to make sure they stayed dry, plus my phone was in a Lifeproof case.

Images

Grrr. Seal Line. Can't spell or type. Probably need to get out for a hike . . . .

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm a big proponent of the zPacks Cuben dry bags and their food sack. I have dry bags for my sleeping bag and camp clothing, and a waterproof zip for wallet/phone/keys. I use simple ditty bags for my first aid kit, toiletries, kitchen stove/pot/cup and "hiking ditty" (basically all the stuff I frequently access while hiking, such as footcare, Aqua Mira, albuterol, etc.).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    I kept everything in Sea to Summit dry sacks during my 2014 thru hike.
    20L bag for food
    10L bag for clothing
    8L bag for sleeping bag
    2 liter for toiletries
    2 liter for electronics
    1 liter as a wallet
    I gotta ask. How much food were you carrying in a 20 liter bag? I own a 15 liter bag that I use for my Zero degree near winter sleeping bag. It's big. I could probably eat out of it for 2 weeks. Maybe longer.
    I can't picture food for the usual long weekend quantities of food needed for a thru hike requiring a 20 liter bag. How much beer was in there????????? Grinning.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I gotta ask. How much food were you carrying in a 20 liter bag? I own a 15 liter bag that I use for my Zero degree near winter sleeping bag. It's big. I could probably eat out of it for 2 weeks. Maybe longer.
    I can't picture food for the usual long weekend quantities of food needed for a thru hike requiring a 20 liter bag. How much beer was in there????????? Grinning.

Wayne

I'm 6'3" and during my thru hike I went from 230 pounds to 170 pounds. Ridiculous hiker hunger. I only filled the 20L bag on 2-3 occasions....from Fontana to Hot Springs (7-8 days), and during a couple long stretches in Maine. IMHO, it's better to go with a big bag rather than squish your food to fit in a small bag.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    I'm 6'3" and during my thru hike I went from 230 pounds to 170 pounds. Ridiculous hiker hunger. I only filled the 20L bag on 2-3 occasions....from Fontana to Hot Springs (7-8 days), and during a couple long stretches in Maine. IMHO, it's better to go with a big bag rather than squish your food to fit in a small bag.
    That seems reasonable.
    I'm more into not spending money than I am into convenience or saving weight. Ziploc products hit all of my sensitive nerves just right. Light. Cheap. Waterproof. Already in the house. What's not to like? Plus, I have a bunch of nylon bags laying around to corral a pile of Ziploc bags and both of my packs have real external pockets that hold Ziploc bags very nicely.
    I do have one REI brand 15 liter dry bag. Bought to hold a specific sleeping bag in a specific pack.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++