WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default June 2016: Springer Mtn. to about Nolichucky River

I am a 31 yo male in good physical condition, planning to start at Springer in early June and hike north for 28 days, finishing around Nolichucky River or Roan Mtn.. I'm looking for at least one person, preferably two or three, to meet up at Springer Mtn. and hike together or at least in somewhat close proximity to each other. I'm willing to travel to where you are a month or two before the hike to spend a weekend hiking and make sure we are comfortable hiking with each other.

Images

If you just go on down to Springer Mtn. and start hiking north you will see hikers probably at every shelter you stop at.Among those there someone will be glad to hike a day or so with you.When they either quit,hike too slow or need rescue just move on to the next shelter.Just be careful if you get to a shelter and find a hiker/hobo there,keep moving.You will soon find someone going about your speed.Also there should be plenty of pot smokers and alcohikers to keep you entertained as you move north.The warm weather brings all kinds of hikers out that don't do cold weather hiking.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Journal Entries

I know its hard to believe............but you arent alone out there. There are LOTS of other people. Its not some remote wilderness hike by any stretch of the imagination. Theres road crossings , parked cars, and hikers all over the place.

Just when you are tired, and havent seen anyone all day, and feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, you will meet a group of 70 yr old women out for a dayhike that will bring you back to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    If you just go on down to Springer Mtn. and start hiking north you will see hikers probably at every shelter you stop at.Among those there someone will be glad to hike a day or so with you.When they either quit,hike too slow or need rescue just move on to the next shelter.Just be careful if you get to a shelter and find a hiker/hobo there,keep moving.You will soon find someone going about your speed.Also there should be plenty of pot smokers and alcohikers to keep you entertained as you move north.The warm weather brings all kinds of hikers out that don't do cold weather hiking.
    ...hey, that describes me! The part about not liking to hike in cold weather.

I'm starting Springer on June 12th and heading as far as NOC. Plan is two 8 mile (or so) days to break my knees in and then hitting 11-12 a day with resupplies in Neels, Hiawassee and Franklin.

++ New Posts ++