WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping pad

Default Sleeping pad

Anyone use the Wind Catcher on the trail?
    It was shown on Shark Tank.

I have looked it up; have not used one. IDK why, I just wouldn't trust it because it isn't a proven concept yet. Might sound harsh, but im just not in the market for a bad, and when I am, Exped is my company of choice. Looks cool though
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

looks heavy...novel idea for car camping? More information/reviews would be needed before I have a formidable opinion.

Couldn't find the weight anywhere. All of the reviews I read were of the "I just got this! Neato!" variety. I suspect it also fills up easily because it's fat like a beach toy, with a minimum amount of baffles. I'll also be interested to see a solid review of it from an actual backpacker.

Therm-a-Rest has integrated it into three new products for 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXPwuXoHCh4

NeoAir XLite MAX SV
    NeoAir Trekker SV
    NeoAir Camper SV

In regular size, the XLite MAX SV is 1 pound even. It looks like they are giving this a go on one product in each of their three categories for sleeping pads. If it proves out okay, I suspect they will make it available for a broader range of products in the coming years.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 02-08-2016 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Couldn't find the weight anywhere.
    Both pads on the website (the 2 and 2+) list the weight at 30 oz. https://www.windcatchergear.com/#0shop

Thank you all.
    So Therm-a-rest has the same type of inflation valve now.

I was playing with the new inflation/deflation system on a Thermorest NeoAir X-Lite the other day. It took a bit of figuring out and practice (how hard to blow, how far away to blow from, how long to blow before closing and pushing the air through . . . ), but WOW, it definitely works well once you get it figured out.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I don't really see the value in the new mattress style, although I do admire the innovation and the fact that the company strives to keep improving their products. I think that I have a better solution:

Comparison of weights:
    NeoAir XLite Large: 16 ounces
    Max: 21 ounces

With the Max, you use your breath to inflate, which adds moisture and weight, although it is likely easier to dry out the interior than it would be with drying out the regular XLite. Still, it requires huffing and puffing for both.

However, for less than the weight difference between the XLite and the Max, you could add the following to your pack, and still save 2.5 ounces:

Exped Pumpbag: 2.1 ounces
    Valve converter: .4 ounces

I prefer the Exped Pumpbag over the one from Thermarest, and it is a bit lighter than the Thermarest version. See the below video for my reasons for the preference.

I use the Pumpbag as a pack liner, so it takes the place of that, which means that adding the sack adds even less net weight to my pack.

So, in the end, by adding the pumpbag and valve converter, I am ahead by 2.5 ounces over the Max (more if you add in the double duty of the sack as a packliner), I get a waterproof packliner, I don't have to huff and puff to inflate my XLite, and I don't contaminate the interior with moisture from my breath.

Here is the video of how to make the valve converter.

I also like the Exped Pumpbag - we got one for cheap from an REI garage sale. If we end up using Therm-a-Rest air mattresses at some point, I'll definitely have to use such an adapter.

I like Therm-a-Rest products over Expeds, but Exped valves do seem nicer.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 02-09-2016 at 16:50.

Hey Vegan Packer - I don't see links to the parts you use, could you share?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    Hey Vegan Packer - I don't see links to the parts you use, could you share?
    No links, per se, but I put exactly what search term to use on Amazon for the valve in the video. I got the washer at a True Value or Ace Hardware, and I put the exact size in the video, too. You can find the tubing at marine and hardware stores, and I also list the exact size for that in the video.
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 02-09-2016 at 18:47.

I also like the Exped Pumpbag - we got one for cheap from an REI garage sale. If we end up using Therm-a-Rest air mattresses at some point, I'll definitely have to use such an adapter.

Agreed. If the Thermarest used the Exped valve, that would be the best of all worlds. The adapter does make it pretty close to that.

So I bought one of the new neoair xlite av pads and took it on a weekend trip in Joshua tree NP this last weekend. I took it back to Rei today. The quick inflation/deflation is great, though it does take some fiddling around to get the proper inflation technique. What really ruined it for me was the fiddle factor in getting a proper seal on the neck. I kept ending up with my hip hitting the ground and getting cold because it was slowly leaking air. I mad to rei flare every few hours throughout the night.

Prior to this, I had a plain neoair xlite. It is a great pad, but it takes forever to inflate/deflate, and it was a little narrow. I decided to try a sea to summit insulated ultralight pad this time around. But if it is not great, I'll go back to a neoair. This whole sleeping pad business takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
    So I bought one of the new neoair xlite sv pads and took it on a weekend trip in Joshua tree NP this last weekend. I took it back to Rei today. The quick inflation/deflation is great, though it does take some fiddling around to get the proper inflation technique. What really ruined it for me was the fiddle factor in getting a proper seal on the neck. I kept ending up with my hip hitting the ground and getting cold because it was slowly leaking air. I kept having to reinflate every few hours throughout the night.

Prior to this, I had a plain neoair xlite. It is a great pad, but it takes forever to inflate/deflate, and it was a little narrow. I decided to try a sea to summit insulated ultralight pad this time around. But if it is not great, I'll go back to a neoair. This whole sleeping pad business takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best.

Oh goodness typos/autocorrect problems. This is the corrected version.

sea to summit uses the same valve. I use my exped pump bag to inflate it. Works slick.

Prior to this, I had a plain neoair xlite. It is a great pad, but it takes forever to inflate/deflate, and it was a little narrow.
    This is why I went with the large, and part of the reason that I use the pumpbag (the other being that I don't want to contaminate the interior with breath moisture). Did you try the large? It's 25 inches for the listed width.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    This is why I went with the large, and part of the reason that I use the pumpbag (the other being that I don't want to contaminate the interior with breath moisture). Did you try the large? It's 25 inches for the listed width.
    I have some small 1-2 person tents that don't necessarily leave enough room for gear/another person/my dog if a large pad is involved. And I honestly don't find the xlite to be exceedingly comfortable. I want to give the "air sprung cells" of the sea to summit a try. I also really like the dual valve on the sea to summit products.

I have some small 1-2 person tents that don't necessarily leave enough room for gear/another person/my dog if a large pad is involved. And I honestly don't find the xlite to be exceedingly comfortable. I want to give the "air sprung cells" of the sea to summit a try. I also really like the dual valve on the sea to summit products.
    Do let us know how you like it. It is an interesting design. We have a couple Big Agnes Q-Cores which we found very comfortable (much more than the XLites) but they both developed leaks at the I-beam welds between the layers after a few nights of indoor use only (manufacturer defect, not from puncture). Big Agnes will apparently replace or fix them with proof of purchase, but if you haven't got that, you're basically crap out of luck. Since the holes are in the resesses and not out on the surface, patches don't hold properly. I have tried to sell them as is for 1/4 of their cost without any bites. I guess I will take some epoxy to them soon.

I think I read somewhere that the StS pads only have insulation in the center, and not out to the edges. If you hold it up to a bright light you can tell.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 02-10-2016 at 13:09.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    sea to summit uses the same valve. I use my exped pump bag to inflate it. Works slick.
    So, does that mean that the Sea to Summit Air Stream will fit onto an Exped mattress valve? It is a bit lighter than the Exped version, and they both are rated for the same volume.

Edit: Correct that. I was looking at pack volume, not capacity. The STS is about half the size of the Exped. It's only 1.7 ounces versus 2.1, but that means that it wouldn't be as big of a pack liner. Not worth the tradeoff for my needs.
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 02-10-2016 at 22:57.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++