WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Zombie killer

Default Zombie killer

Do you have a name for your pack?
    The reason I ask is because I'm about to buy a tough touring bicycle, Trek 920, everything from smooth pavement, to rough gravel. I've named it the zombie killer. Someone on the bicycle forum said he started to lock his up inside the house so that when he is gone it would not go out on it's own and start killing zombies.
    So I thought my pack could also be the zombie killer. So get out in the woods so you don't become an industrial age/post industrial age zombie. If you ever see a gumby type toy, or an action figure zombie thing, or any such thing, Please buy it for me and I'll pay for cost and shipping. I'll tie them to my pack and bicycle. It would be greatly appreciated.

Kill the Zombies of Wall Street!! Don't let them get your brain!!

Humpty Dumpty is my packs name.

"Fat Buddy" is mine. Although he has lost some weight over the years...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My former pack earned the name "Nightmare". That's how I knew I needed a new one.

Animal. Because it fought me and I struggled the entire way. (not really, well maybe at first but...)
    - Trail name: Thumper

If you feel like it, Check out trekbikes.com go to bikes, go to 920
    Well I rode the bicycle this afternoon. I came home and ordered a dozen little plastic zombies from Amazon. I'll tie a bit of twine around each neck and hang them from a mini 'biner. One set for the bicycle, one set for the pack.
    The Zombie Killer it is. Any idea how to get a small decal made with Zombie Killer printed on it. And maybe a embroderied patch for the pack.

This more than 30yrs old Lowe Cerro Torre I still use, I name the Friendly Monster.
    Its a true monster, but friendly, as it hosts all I need for day&night.

Never named any of my packs but you know, got me thinking I should.?? Getting another new pack this spring (i hope) and after some hiking I will come up with a good name for it. Hike on Zombie Killer!

If you spend that much intimate time together, and depend on each other for your life, the pack deserves a name.
    Early this morning I went to Amazon and bought 2 space ray guns, about 6" long. I'll bend up a plastic coated wire coat hanger, tape the ray gun to it. Figure out how to mount 1 to the bicycle, and the other mounted to the pack. Did I mention I also bought 12 little plastic zombies to attach/hang from the bicycle and pack. If my name changes to zombie killer I would not be upset. Maybe I would be the zombie and the pack killer.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    The Zombie Killer it is. Any idea how to get a small decal made with Zombie Killer printed on it. And maybe a embroderied patch for the pack.
    Here are a few options for you after a quick search:

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/zombie+killer+stickers
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2386232...killer-sticker
    http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/zo...r-sticker.html

http://www.rothco.com/product-detail...r-morale-patch
    http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Killer-.../dp/B00J4MQNTW

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    This more than 30yrs old Lowe Cerro Torre I still use, I name the Friendly Monster.
    Its a true monster, but friendly, as it hosts all I need for day&night.
    Just noticed that Lowe Alpine Systems posted my vintage story on their website

http://lowealpine.com/ww/explore/vin...endly-monster/

Just noticed that Lowe Alpine Systems posted my vintage story on their website

http://lowealpine.com/ww/explore/vin...endly-monster/
    What is the "poor-to-carry cradle" that you reference there?

Sorry for my poor English...
    There were two kids I carried in the pack, and two cradles I used for this.
    The first one was in the mid-90ties, the make and model of this cradle I don't remember - just remember that it was real crap.
    The second one was in the mid-2000ds and the cradle was one of the first Vaude models:

Vaude_Cradle.jpg

While this cradle was quite OK for the kid, the carrying system was really poor.
    Using the backpack in addition to the cradle added some 3kg (6lb), just perfect for training purpose.

Sorry for my poor English...
    There were two kids I carried in the pack, and two cradles I used for this.
    The first one was in the mid-90ties, the make and model of this cradle I don't remember - just remember that it was real crap.
    Perhaps a Gerry?

The second one was in the mid-2000ds and the cradle was one of the first Vaude models:

Vaude_Cradle.jpg

While this cradle was quite OK for the kid, the carrying system was really poor.
    Using the backpack in addition to the cradle added some 3kg (6lb), just perfect for training purpose.
    Ahh, so you actually stuffed the child carrier pack down inside your other pack. Interesting, if not the lightest weight option, haha.

We use a Deuter Kid Comfort III:

Attachment 33417

We like it overall, but it's a bit limiting at 1220ci of storage and an overall weight limit of less than 50 pounds. The Osprey Poco Premium has 2075ci of storage, but the same weight limit and overall design that we don't like nearly as much, including having to leave the kickstand out in order to utilize the storage space. There is also a Kelty Pathfinder 3.0 worth consideration, but it's still only 1300ci of storage and the same weight limit. We have a Kelty TC 2.0 which is quite comfortable to wear but is very small for a backpack carrier and really only good for around-town use or maybe day hikes.

The 3 bigger carriers all weigh almost 8 pounds, and when you have a 30lb child to carry, that doesn't leave a lot of allowance for gear weight. They have enough room for the child's gear, but what about the gear for the person wearing the carrier? Sherpani used to make a carrier rated for more weight, but they stopped making carriers for whatever reason. Looked at a used one but didn't care for the overall design and materials. I reckon it's a challenging thing to make, because if you add on more capacity behind the child, that weight is carried pretty far back from the carrier's back, which is really not ideal.

I am most concerned about what happens when we have two children needing to be carried, and we both have to wear a carrier. Right now I carry all our gear in a big pack but if I have no idea how we'll manage if I am wearing a carrier pack instead.

Anyways getting off the subject so I'll shut up. Back to your regularly-scheduled programming!
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 02-08-2016 at 14:05.

Just give it a name, and we are on topic again <G>

Way better stuff available nowadays.
    But now our kids are all on their own legs, no need to carry them any more. The oldest boy would be able to carry me if need would be <G>

Have fun!

++ New Posts ++