WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default knee high gaiters

What is a good brand gaiter that is on the cheaper side. I want to start doing more winter hiking and i feel these will be useful.

You pretty much get what you pay for in gaiters.
    The question is probably more, how cheap can you go and still get a gator with the quality and features you want.
    I probably own more OR gaiters than any others, but that's because they fit my legs and footwear better than others, not because they are cheaper or "better" than others.
    I personally prefer short gaiters (just over the ankle) most of the time, including in the snow, unless I'm expecting to be postholing in deep powder. I also don't care for waterproof or waterproof/breathable gaiters because they just hold more moisture into my system, and I've got rain gear and waterproof shoe/boot systems to keep me dry. Some people swear by full height and waterproof as being an absolute necessity. If you don't need waterproof/breathable, then materials are less expensive and thus gaiters are cheaper. If you have wind or rain pants that can go over your gaiters, then you can use the ankle-high gaiters and stay warm and dry unless you're postholing in deep snow - in which case skis or snowshoes are probably a good idea, and with skis and snowshoes on, again, you can get by with short gaiters. Short gaiters use less material and are thus, generally, less expensive.

I do suggest spending enough money to get gaiters with a real rubberized strap under your shoe, not simple webbing or cordage that will start to fray and then hold snow and ice up and become a real pain. . . nothing like trying to walk on snowballs.
    Try on your gaiters with the shoes/boots you plan on using them with. Surprisingly many gaiters don't fit any given person/shoe combination very well at all.
    If you are only going to be buying one pair of gaiters and they will be primarily for winter use in areas where there may be deep snow, probably full height gaiters are a wiser/more versatile choice, even if not necessary in most cases.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

REI guy mentioned he liked dirty girl gaiters. I was hesitant to google that but it worked. lol
    They are on the cheap side too but they arnt knee high. They are the only ones I have heard about.

Doing lots of XC-skiing, we always use knee-high gaiters (mine actually have an extension going above the knee).
    The two main problems with these gaiters are, (1) the strap going under the shoesole is collecting snow&ice, and (2) the gaiters tend to slip down the calve if you are skinny like me.
    Never had any problem with the gaiters being waterproof or not (mine are not, but still protective enough).

I just got these and like them quite a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Nice wide, adjustable strap under the instep.

OR crocodile gaiters. Perfect winter gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Barricade View Post
    REI guy mentioned he liked dirty girl gaiters.
    DirtyGirl Gaiters rock! But they don't hold up too well when postholing in the snow because the postholing tents to tear the Velcro off the heal of your shoes. If you are snowshoeing or skiing they actually work just fine. Also, if your microspikes' elastic band wraps up onto your heel high enough to reinforce the Velcro heal attachment, they stay on pretty well. . . but, they are super light and can get torn up pretty badly if you are bushwhacking.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    OR crocodile gaiters. Perfect winter gaiters.
    Pretty much this if you are looking for full shin coverage. Heavy duty material not only takes some of the pain out of breaking trail through ice crusts but it keeps the gaiters from falling down even without the top belt engaged.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

FWIW, I use OR knee high gaiters. I do a lot of hiking and snowshoeing in winter and have found these work best in most all conditions I have used them in. But it really depends on what one considers "winter hiking". Winter hiking can mean walking groomed trails where foot traffic creates a dependable, fairly wide surface where most any type of gaiter will work to keep causal snow from getting into your boot. However if you are bushwhacking off trail in snow more than a few inches deep, or breaking trail in several inches of snow where few have gone before, a more robust gaiter is needed in my view. Experience will be the teacher.

LoneStranger hit on a real important issue, the near constant impact/abrasion at a set point on your shins walking through snow with a 1/2" crust that remains intact around each footfall (wincing just thinking of that). Without a good gaiter, it can be a miserable experience not only for the shin discomfort, but if there isn't a good mechanical connection holding the gaiter to the boot beyond velcro, even non crusted snow of several inches can rip the velcro connection off over time and snow in the boot is a certainty.

I have Outdoor Research (OR) gaiters - I think they are Rocky Mountains and they performed really well. These gaiters stayed put, are a sturdy fabric coated on the bottom and not at the top for breathability. They were on sale when I bought them - right now I think they are $45 regular price. Not too bad.

I suggest trying them on vs buying on the inter web to ensure fit and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    I have Outdoor Research (OR) gaiters - I think they are Rocky Mountains and they performed really well. These gaiters stayed put, are a sturdy fabric coated on the bottom and not at the top for breathability. They were on sale when I bought them - right now I think they are $45 regular price. Not too bad.

I suggest trying them on vs buying on the inter web to ensure fit and comfort.
    CORRECTION: I just checked - I have the "Crocodiles". GoreTex - Heavy Duty canvas lower and GoreTex upper. I love them - they are pricey - I caught them on sale.

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

I've been using a pair of knee high gaiters I picked up at EMS. Their brand, and I don't think I paid more than $20, including tax but it was a few years ago. I did replace the crap instep cord with a little beefier 550 cord.
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

++ New Posts ++