WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Antarctica Trek Unsuccessful

I've been following Henry Worsley's attempt to be the first to hike across Antarctica solo. He started on November 15 last year, and just yesterday there was a report that he died as s result of a bacterial infection in a Chile hospital after being airlifted out.

He was attempting this hike in commemoration of the Shackleton expedition in 1915.

http://shackletonsolo.org/bio/

If you go to this website, you can listen to Worsley's daily voice reports.

Worsley is one of those who heard the siren call of these types of challenges and decided to take it on. This calling is still heard among a handful of people, to a lesser extent many here are allured by the calling, Tipi Walter being one that leaps to mind. It is a fact, if not The Fact of those pursuits at the very edge of the human endurance envelope that failure means paying the ultimate price, which was paid.

I often wonder what we would be like as a civilization without men and women of such character, daring, and determination.

Huzzah!

I don't think we have the entire story of his cause of death. It's reported he was diagnosed with bacterial peritonitis. That is usually due to perforation of an organ.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20032165

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Worsley is one of those who heard the siren call of these types of challenges and decided to take it on. This calling is still heard among a handful of people, to a lesser extent many here are allured by the calling, Tipi Walter being one that leaps to mind. It is a fact, if not The Fact of those pursuits at the very edge of the human endurance envelope that failure means paying the ultimate price, which was paid.

I often wonder what we would be like as a civilization without men and women of such character, daring, and determination.

Huzzah!
    I believe his driving force was his ancestor was part of Shackeltons crew.
    In the end, people do these things to say "Look what I did".
    With todays techonology, almost anything is possible, anywhere.
    There is a rash of constant "firsts" due to this.
    Things people would never have attempted without technology and communications safety net, are attempted today so someone can say they did it first.

Yeah, people did the same thing years ago, but it was a different ball game without the communications and SAR that exists today.
    No matter what someone does today, they are a historical footnote and dont even rate mention in comparison to the real explorers of history. The earth was conquered by modern technology, nothing else.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

"Antarctica Trek Unsuccessful" is surely the most understated thread title in the history of this site.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    "Antarctica Trek Unsuccessful" is surely the most understated thread title in the history of this site.
    Appropriately so I would say, all things considered.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++