WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt Leconte speed hike

I just read that JP( winter care taker of the Leconte lodge) just ran down Alum cave trail, drove into town to pick up some supplies and ran back up to the top of Leconte in under 2hrs! Just amazing! Doubt he could do that now that winter is back.

Congrates to JP.

Images

if that is lodge to town and back in two hrs that is incredible the trali goes along some slanted sections on rock plus the elevation up with supplies. and a run to gburg.

Yep,
    From lodge to town and back to lodge. Quite impressive!

[QUOTE=GLIDER304GUIDER;2035094]I just read that JP( winter care taker of the Leconte lodge) just ran down Alum cave trail, drove into town to pick up some supplies and ran back up to the top of Leconte in under 2hrs! Just amazing! Doubt he could do that now that winter is back.

Where did you read that?

Images

Where did you read that?

yeah.....i was wondering the same thing.....

in the past----the caretakers have sorta a running "bet" to see who could do a speed record like this....

typically the challenge is to run down the trail---go into town and get a six pack of beer----and bring the receipt back up giving proof that one went into town....

and i have heard of times of being in the 2 to 3 hour range, so not sure if the current caretaker has the new "record" or not......

Journal Entries

Apparently JP is off to a trail race in huntsville. I was hoping for more pics of snow up top to be posted

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts

Quote Originally Posted by GLIDER304GUIDER View Post
    I just read that JP( winter care taker of the Leconte lodge) just ran down Alum cave trail, drove into town to pick up some supplies and ran back up to the top of Leconte in under 2hrs! Just amazing! Doubt he could do that now that winter is back.

Congrates to JP.
    Define supplies.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

FKT for a beer run in the Smokies?

I think the old record was held by staff member John Kroll who did the trip down, beer run and back up in 1 hr 55 min in 2012. Hard to imagine someone could do that.

Sorry guys, I didn't see the date on the article. Looks like he did it back in 2012.

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-p...-record-broken

I follow the Leconte blog and JP does a down and back hike like that almost daily from the lodge. If I did Alum or Rainbow or Trillium every day, I get fast at it too!

++ New Posts ++