WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice for filming my AT thru-hike

DSLR? GoPro? Samsung Galaxy? I am looking for advice on the best purchase for filming my AT thru hike. I already have a samsung galaxy note 4, but I would like high quality video capture. I would like to film certain parts of the landscape and wildlife, take some timelapse shots of waterfalls/clouds/stars/fires, as well as taking "selfie" shots of myself hiking and scrolling the landscape behind myself. I wouldn't be jumping in any rivers with my equipment, but I wouldn't want it damaged in a light rain or fog if I decided to film for a minute or two. I imagine I would accumulate around 10 to 20 hours of footage. I don't plan on filming more than 5-10 minutes a day. Just those really special areas and instances except for when I would do a timelapse shot of course. I will have about $600 to spend on filming/camera equipment. I don't want to go too heavy or bulky, but quality is important. Any advice or suggestions would be amazing. Especially if you have previously filmed your own hike. My thru-hike isn't until March 2017, but I have a few short hikes this year I would like to test the equipment on and hone my skills.

I only carry a DSLR when I'm hiking to a destination to photograph something. Too heavy and bulky for me. I am looking into the new crop of APS-C mirrorless cameras though.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I shot this video (below) with a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and I brought a Gorillapod tripod along.

The GoPro shoots up to 4K resolution video, although I shot the video below in 1080. The stills are not as good as they come out with some other cameras, but using the tripod in good light lessens this deficiency (although night shots can come out nicely). However, these days, my main focus is on video, and I only use stills to fill in the blanks. The camera is tiny, packs really well, and is light. There are a million aftermarket options available for it, too.

There is no single camera out there that is the best in all categories, and that is small and light. However, the GoPro seems to have the right balance for my needs.

Last edited by Vegan Packer; 01-16-2016 at 17:41.

well, here's some "strange" advice re: filming your thru hike. Don't. Why do I say this? I took hundreds of photos along the way, which my wife took and made 4 volumes of photo albums. I wrote in my journal every night and still have the journals. WTBS, I have never gone back and looked at either my photos nor reread my journals. I am not saying that I regret doing either (writing the journals or taking photos)...but I have the memories. IMO, that is all I need.

fwiw, film away if you want, Understand that it may not be important later on to look at "selfies" or whatever. What is important is enjoying the hike. Documenting it? Not very.

I went with the GoPro Hero4 Session. I sacrificed a bit of film quality and a few options for being lighter and not requiring a water proof case.

Disclaimer* I am not a film/video/picture pro. I am a backpacker that is trying to film for the first time. YMMV HYOH

Images

I love my GoPro Hero 4 Silver. It has a built in screen so I can view my video footage right away to make sure I got the video I wanted. If I don't like the footage, I can simply erase and re-film. Easy enough to carry a few GoPro batteries in order to make sure you don't run out of juice for the camera.

Everyone is different and wants to capture their hike in different ways. Some rely on memories, others keep journals, others take pics and videos. Ya gotta do what works best for you. I personally love to look back at the films I have made of the trail. I film the trail for myself, for days when I want to be able to be back on the trail and am stuck indoors. Often I will see things I didn't even notice when I was on the trail. HYOH.

Whatever you do, don't hire Robert Redford to produce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a GoPro and a Sony Action Cam HDR-AS200V. The Sony is my primary camera and I actually sold the GoPro (Hero 4 Silver - FWIW, I can't speak for the 4K). The Sony has better sound pickup and the video is comparable. Also, there's no way to mount the GoPro outside of a case and the Sony can use standard mounts with a simple clip-on adapter that comes with the camera (GoPro offers it extra). That said if I had it to do over again I'd go with a regular camera. What I've found is that action cameras like the GoPro and Sony Action Cam are designed to pick up a subject in action and in a specific around of view. They focus primarily on the middle of the viewing area. You'll notice that the lines on the outside will bend the image. For me, they really don't get a good overall shot. If you want to get yourself or a subject and the environment or say a nice view, they're really not the best choice. If you're still, however, they do pretty good. A good DSLR, of course, is great. If you don't have that kinda jack, look at a good quality point-and-shoot. Lots of folks like the Sony RX-100 III and the Canon PowerShot G7X. In the end, even your smartphone might prove a decent camera for recording your hike. Lots of folks seem to go out with just that.

I have found that my trips have been vastly different when I carry a camera, and when I don't. When the camera is handy, I tend to look at things as "that would make a great pic!" When there is no camera, I tend to look at everything, and found the memories to be more enjoyable. It's not often I look through my old photos. It is daily that I surf through my memories. Just my thoughts....

Smartphones nowadays are just perfect for video clips.
    Did my first video ever recently with my Sony Z3 (a local man singing and plying a string instrument) and was absolutely amazed by the super quality. The built-in video software even did a perfect stabilisation job, so the free-hand video looked like done with a tripod.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My concern with a gopro is that it is a fixed zoom device. The camera is not with me to interfere with making memories, but rather to take a say 10 second video of myself walking in the rain, or say a 10 second video of myself approaching a magnificent ascent, or a video of that bear crossing the road or coming through camp, a short timelapse of a clouds breaking across the mountain tops, or a 15 second clip of other hikers and myself around a fire. Short clips the entire way. I have filmed with my phone before and I don't believe it will give me the return I desire. Like I said no more than 5 or so minutes a day of film. Straight to the point short clips that when I return home will be processed into a short film for myself, family, and friends.

Journal Entries

Default Advice for filming my AT thru-hike

I'm bringing a GoPro session, tiny cube, good quality with better sound since there is no waterproof housing. Got a tripod attachment and a clip. I'll take little videos like you are planning and send them back home. Connects to your phone easily. I think they're on sale for like $200 and IMHO it's great. I'm a professional photographer, and would lean towards the DSLR if it were even a 1/3 of the weight they are. But they just can't even compare to something that is a 2" cube and weighs 3 ounces not 3lbs. But if you're making a film for Sundance...go with the DSLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++