WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is an under quilt a necessity in cold weather?

Is there a less expensive alternative? All of the decent UQs that I've found online are pretty pricey ($175-$300+). Maybe an inflatable sleeping pad could provide the space for insulation...?

Just wondering what some other (less expensive) options may be for a cold night?

Images

You can use CCF pads or air mattresses in a hammock. My personal opinion is a down underquilt provides the very best comfort. Isn't that why you want to use a hammock?

There are synthetic UQ options on the market for less than down alternatives. The trade off for being inexpensive is bulk and weight. Arrowhead Equipment and Enlightened Equipment carry synthetic UQs.

Images

When I first purchased my hammock and until I was able to purchase a TQ and UQ, I used a sleeping bag and a Thermarest Ridgerest CCF pad, and in a bridge hammock it certainly worked well enough. Though, having used the pad, I much prefer the quilts.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Do what I didn't do...buy an underquilt first. When you think about it $200 really isn't much for many nights of comfortable sleeping in a hammock.
    There are 20* quilts with decent fill for 3 season use which gets you into November in the southern mountains. 0 degree bags are $60 more if you plan on 4 season use.

I have sleep down to 26* using only my neoair x-lite and a top quilt rated to 20* as an experiment to see how much I would miss the UQ. I woke up to CBS (cold butt syndrome) about 3am.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Check out Arrowhead Equipment. They make synthetic UQs and TQS that are more price friendly. Their workmanship is excellent and so is their customer service.

You make a good point. The reason I use a hammock is because it's so much more comfortable. I am planning an AT thru hike this year. My start date is March 7 and Im trying to get the last of my gear purchased.

I have a z-pad sleeping pad and a 15º down bag. I am most worried about hitting snow at some point. I'm from Florida, so I don't know anything about snow and I think I have a fear of cold weather because of that.

Thanks man! Checking it out now

++ New Posts ++