WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Getting to Damascus.

Hey guys,

i was was wondering if anyone knew of a train station near the town? I have plans to rent a car, but wanted to explore other more luxurious options. Except airplanes.

-

closest public transport is bus to bristol

Images

Walking worked well for me. It's a tiny, remote town. Your options are extremely limited.

there's a bus station 30 miles north in Marion, Va. and one 30 miles south in Bristol, Tn.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Walking worked well for me. It's a tiny, remote town. Your options are extremely limited.
    It doesnt get thru traffic, but its only a couple miles from populous areas and interstate. Not really all that remote. Might seem like it getting there on foot, or from other direction on winding roads. By interstate.....nope. Or maybe I just have different concept of remote.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-10-2016 at 08:57.

I started a section hike there back in September. I drove my one way rental car to Abingdon and then had a shuttle pick me up from there because it was a Saturday. Enterprise said any other day of the week they could have driven me to Damascus.

Last spring, I took Amtrak to Lynchburg, connector bus to Roanoke (to visit friends), and the next day, a Greyhound from Roanoke to Marion, where I got a shuttle to Damascus. For the shuttle, Lone Wolf was unavailable, so I used Gypsy Dave, and that worked out well. PM me for his email address if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    Hey guys,

i was was wondering if anyone knew of a train station near the town? I have plans to rent a car, but wanted to explore other more luxurious options. Except airplanes.
    PM me if you need a shuttle

As others have said, the only option is bus to Marion or Bristol and then get a shuttle.

I always go to Marion as it's as close to the trail as you can get by bus in that area. It's also possible to do a loop hike down to Damascus from there by using the Iron mountain trail (you'll need a map to figure that out, as you need to connect several trails together), but doing that gets you to Damascus in 3 days, at which point you turn around and go back via the AT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Hi You can take a bus fairly cheap to Marion VA. www.greyhound.com . Most of the time it is an hour and a half longer than driving. Then you can hitch,hold a sign saying DAMASCUS. (I81S to 58 E). Marion Greyhound Bus Station is located app 35 miles from Damascus or call MRO in Damascus - Mt. Rogers Outfitters Damascus, VA 24236 (276) 475-5416 www.mtrogersoutfitters.com. There is a fairly large supermarket in Marion and the time of year that you will be there, should be other hikers. Also, from Marion you can take a bus for 50 cents! to the MT Rogers Visitor Center - at Partnership shelter and hike south to trail days! Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
    Hi You can take a bus fairly cheap to Marion VA. www.greyhound.com . Most of the time it is an hour and a half longer than driving. Then you can hitch,hold a sign saying DAMASCUS. (I81S to 58 E). Marion Greyhound Bus Station is located app 35 miles from Damascus or call MRO in Damascus - Mt. Rogers Outfitters Damascus, VA 24236 (276) 475-5416 www.mtrogersoutfitters.com. There is a fairly large supermarket in Marion and the time of year that you will be there, should be other hikers. Also, from Marion you can take a bus for 50 cents! to the MT Rogers Visitor Center - at Partnership shelter and hike south to trail days! Cake
    you can't hitch on the interstate or the on-ramps

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Looks like driving may be my ticket haha. I was going to shuttle from enterprise unless they can take me themselves.

We we shall see.

If your in Virginia, can you bribe a friend or relative to drive you? You say your on a budget and renting a car and getting shuttle will be quite an expense.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++