WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Lol this was a fun and heated thread. Hikers and handguns, absolutely! who wouldn't love the opportunity to shoot down a drone… Still lets be practical, if people want to bring toys only to send them home later then let them. Who cares if they a prohibited or not, federal and state land is our land, like we are all law abiding citizens….lol. Hike your own hike, bring drones if you want to, and during your hike if your lucky enough to shoot a flying robot out of the sky then your awesome. There is still no reason to be mean about it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Lol this was a fun and heated thread. Hikers and handguns, absolutely! who wouldn't love the opportunity to shoot down a drone… Still lets be practical, if people want to bring toys only to send them home later then let them. Who cares if they a prohibited or not, federal and state land is our land, like we are all law abiding citizens….lol. Hike your own hike, bring drones if you want to, and during your hike if your lucky enough to shoot a flying robot out of the sky then your awesome. There is still no reason to be mean about it.
    I really cannot tell if you are trolling or serious.

Probably a little of both

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 78owl View Post
    My thoughts, If you have to bring your toys along, don't come! Play and stay at home.
    The real question is, Why do they want to bring them?? Is it like a security blanket?
    So what are your thoughts "Tuckahoe"??
    Pretty simple really, as long as you stay out of my wallet, dont break my bones and you carry it, bring whatever you want that will allow you to enjoy your hike. I find it arrogant to project one's own reason for hiking onto another and demand that someone else hikes your own hike.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I'm sorry, but if you use a drone out in nature, you're a jerk. The reason we go out is to escape all the noise and BS of the city. If you're flying around making noise and possibly video taping, then you're horribly inconsiderate to everyone else. Leave it in the city!!

Well everyone has had some good points to make. I know in 2014 they banned them temporarily in order to review the pros and cons for the trail. The NPS had stated that it might take up to 18 months to do a thorough review. I'm guessing they still haven't made a permanent decision or may never. After Mud pointed out that they are banned on all parts of the trail I won't bring mine. However understand that its due to it being illegal. Not because some of you are haters. Total flight time cumulatively for me on the trail might have been around 30 minutes total over 1000 miles. There are just a few spots along the trail I wanted to use it and I can control it from my smart phone so now extra controller needed. Total drone weight is a little over 10 ounces so weight is negligible. Lastly I'm sure (or hoping) that no one would bring their six shooters out to bring it down. My drone is much safer than your P-Shooters and lets face it ladies and gentlemen, no one here is that good of a shot. Remember, the drone I wanted to bring was 3.5 inches square. Yeah, your just going to be hitting air. Thanks for renewing my faith in the hiking community, I hope to steer clear from some of you on the trail...... oh i'm sorry..... your trail.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Mark Twain

Drone are the new hysteria. Like most things, if you don't like them then you likely are just fine with inhibiting the rights of those that do. Just like most things.

This is happening all over the world.

We were in remote western Iceland in Sept, visiting a spectacular waterfall called Dynjandi. There were maybe a dozen cars at the parking area, maybe 50 people in all (this was rather crowded for Iceland). All the usual antics were happening regarding selfie sticks, machine gunning digicam operators, etc. But there was a guy setting up a drone at the parking lot as we left. I instantly made a note to self: avoid "popular" tourist destinations.

You just have to get farther and farther away from people to escape this *****.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Drone are the new hysteria. Like most things, if you don't like them then you likely are just fine with inhibiting the rights of those that do. Just like most things.
    True this, but this new hysteria can be invasive, both from a privacy standpoint and from a peacefulness standpoint. WHO is inhibiting WHO'S rights???? Get real.
    WHY do people like taking so many selfies? My wife got creamed on a ski run by some clown snowboarding with a selfie stick, not paying attention. Does he REALLY think anyone else in the entire world wants to see him snowboarding???? Does HE really care about seeing himself snowboarding?
    Now we apparently have hikers that want aerial views of themselves hiking. For some reason.
    If I see a drone sitting on the ground on a trail, I will probably not see it clearly, given my poor eyesight, and since I'm quite clumsy, I'll probably trample it, accidently, that is. If this drone nonsense gets really bad, I'll buy one of these:

http://jammers4u.com/drones-jammer
    Assuming, of course, that they are perfectly, 100% legal.

Journal Entries

The real question is, Why do they want to bring them?? Is it like a security blanket?
    To be very blunt, the blend of technology and nature is the future of humanity and our destiny, what 'Ma Nature' was guiding us towards and what she always wanted for her children. Those who feel otherwise are the 'gifted children', who ride the short bus. Still equally loved but may need a bit more help and special classes.

Journal Entries

Not when they are prohibited because they are contrary to the reason certain areas were set aside. In that case its exactly the opposite, someone with one is a douchebag that doesnt respect other peoples rights, and only cares about what they want.

People with no respect for others legal rights, is what is wrong with society. It is why we have police, and jail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-04-2016 at 21:00.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

On a more practical note, I would be interested to know what effects these drones have on wildlife, particularly birds. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these things are highly disruptive to certain species.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not when they are prohibited because they are contrary to the reason certain areas were set aside. In that case its exactly the opposite, someone with one is a douchebag that doesnt respect other peoples rights, and only cares about what they want.

People with no respect for others legal rights, is what is wrong with society. It is why we have police, and jail.
    I don't disagree that where they're prohibited the law should be followed. I'm more concerned about why they're prohibited, which is not to say there are not legitimate reasons. You seem to be reacting rather passionately which in my mind bolsters my hysteria contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On a more practical note, I would be interested to know what effects these drones have on wildlife, particularly birds. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these things are highly disruptive to certain species.
    Certainly something be concerned about in certain environments, I'll give you that. However, we forget what are called drones today were simply the radio controlled model airplanes of yesterday. Add a camera, which broadens the appeal, and suddenly you have the "drone." No one worried about model planes or other aircraft until the word "drone" was applied to them. Drone are the "automatic weapons" of the remote control world.

Images

I don't disagree that where they're prohibited the law should be followed. I'm more concerned about why they're prohibited, which is not to say there are not legitimate reasons. You seem to be reacting rather passionately which in my mind bolsters my hysteria contention.
    I suspect they are illegal for the same reasons that hang gliding and BASE jumping is illegal in most/all NP, safety and an attempt to less intrusive. While I'm sure you would be safe and considerate, others won't be. the last thing I want to see while hiking is a flying camera taking pictures so some idiot can get an extra likie on Facie. (Not directed at you, you were the safe and considerate one.). That is likely why some are reacting "passionately"

One last reason to keep them banned is because they will get caught up in trees. On my run yesterday I saw one caught in a huge tree with zero chance of getting it down. (If I were king I would also banned helium balloons. Many of those Happy Birthday balloons that junior loses end up on top of mountains and ridges. just carried one out of the woods on my hike yesterday.)

Journal Entries

Certainly something be concerned about in certain environments, I'll give you that. However, we forget what are called drones today were simply the radio controlled model airplanes of yesterday. Add a camera, which broadens the appeal, and suddenly you have the "drone." No one worried about model planes or other aircraft until the word "drone" was applied to them. Drone are the "automatic weapons" of the remote control world.

As someone that used to build and fly RC models,...ummm no. With the exception of cheap kids toys that dont really work well and crash and break in short time.
    Real RC modelers generally belong to clubs, that lease land, maintain facilities. They need groomed runways. It takes practice , teaching, and developed skills to fly a real RC aircraft, and a lot of room. Real RC modelers also belong to the AMA and carry 1 million dollar liability insurance.

The cheap gyros and computer control that have enabled the stability of these drones in anyones hands, even a child, anywhere, is the game changer. In the hands of ignorant people, which are really the majority of buyers, they are used everywhere they are forbidden. This has prompted the FAA to require licensing for them . Users are largely ignorant of property airspace rights or where they can even be legally used. You basically cannot fly over private property under ~500 ft navigable airspace limit without permission.

No more passionate about this, than any of a number of other issues that threaten the limited wildness left of the AT. They are in same class as people that leave trash, dont bury poop, create disturbances, cut green firewood, contaminate water sources, etc. If someone cant behave properly..follow rules...respect others......stay home.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-04-2016 at 23:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    As someone that used to build and fly RC models,...ummm no. With the exception of cheap kids toys that dont really work well and crash and break in short time.
    Real RC modelers generally belong to clubs, that lease land, maintain facilities. They need groomed runways. It takes practice , teaching, and developed skills to fly a real RC aircraft, and a lot of room. Real RC modelers also belong to the AMA and carry 1 million dollar liability insurance...
    Okay so technically, there's still not much difference. I can buy, operate, and otherwise learn and enjoy an RC plane and not join any sort of club, lease land, or anything. The only thing separating an RC plane and a drone is a camera, greater expense and better gear, I'll give you. The rest is people, which granted, is the crux of the problem. I won't debate whether they could or even do get out of hand and rise to the level of polluters. Getting a handle on it now and establishing rules and guidelines is probably a good idea. Not disputing that.

The following link goes to a PDF of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail resource Management Plan, September 2008.

http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/nature..._Plan_Ch_1.pdf

if you read it, you will see that a portion of the plan is to protect "natura soundscapes" and "scenic views".

For those that scoff at laws banning certain activities on national scenic trails, they should consider that these areas would not exist it there were not federal laws creating them. Instead, it would all be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    While I'm sure you would be safe and considerate, others won't be.
    FWIW, I have very little interest in drones and even less in taking them on the trail.

Journal Entries

Okay so technically, there's still not much difference. I can buy, operate, and otherwise learn and enjoy an RC plane and not join any sort of club, lease land, or anything. The only thing separating an RC plane and a drone is a camera, greater expense and better gear, I'll give you. The rest is people, which granted, is the crux of the problem. I won't debate whether they could or even do get out of hand and rise to the level of polluters. Getting a handle on it now and establishing rules and guidelines is probably a good idea. Not disputing that.
    People been taking pictures wirh cameras in model aircraft and model rockets for 40 years . it was expensive and required skill and effort on part of photographer. You didnt do these things places you werent supposed to.

Drones are dirt cheap and just starting to take off ( no pun intended) due to stability and ease of operation. Court case a few months ago about someone using one to photograph neighbor daughter sunbathing in fenced backyard highlights the problems these are creating. Yes, the problem is 100% the users. Too many idiots in the mainstream population that have easy cheap access to a new toy that can be abused with little effort. Expect many new laws in future to prevent disturbances and invasion of privacy concerns. They will be prohibited by subdivision restrictions, municipal and state areas, etc. In the end, there will likely be noplace you can legally use one, except on private land where you have permission, or with a permit on municipal/state/fed lands.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-05-2016 at 08:10.

To be clear, its not those who are "against" new things that have caused the issue. Drone and RC aircraft (different equipment by definition) now require registration through the FAA, due to their irresponsible use. Buzzing wildlife and climbers in National Parks (including dropping them into pristine hot springs in Yellowstone), taking video/photos of people who believe they have privacy, peering into windows at altitudes above street level, weaponizing with flame throwers and guns, and flying in close proximity to manned aircraft without the ability to see and avoid, all have piled up to create a ban in lands managed by the NPS and the FAA to require registration.

Licensing for pilots of drones capable of sustained flight out of sight of the operator controls, along with mandated equipment on them to mitigate the lack of see and avoid issue is likely to happen over the next several years. This will include heavy drone craft capable of carrying payloads like Amazon wants to engage and for LE and SAR use. Though small RC aircraft will probably be exempt from these due to the limited range of operation, they aren't exempt from registration if they weigh (with payload) over 0.55 pounds up to 55 pounds (heavier unmanned aircraft fall into a higher level of registry and operational rules).

Given the potential of these machines to become handy and conversely to cause great damage and/or loss of life, registration is not a bad idea and is along the lines of boats and ATVs. Registration alone does not solve the abuse issue, but does provide information of responsibility when laws are broken or damage occurs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++