WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Shelter selection: what would you do?

Hey everyone, I hope you had a great day! So I'm deciding on shelters now for the Continental Divide Trail. I'm debating between solomid from Mount Laurel designs or waiting for Sierra Designs to come out with their new shelter in the spring, from what I read it's supposed to be another mid style shelter, when comparing the two brands, which would you choose and what is your reason why? Thank you again! All of the advice has been great
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

1. How exactly do we compare and contrast a piece of existing gear to vapor/phantom gear?
    2. Decide for yourself what you need in a trail shelter. Then research shelters that meet your needs.
    3. Try to cultivate an original thought. We can't spoon feed you answers to your personal needs in gear.
    4. We don't know your direction or start date. That figures in to your gear selection.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

1. How exactly do we compare and contrast a piece of existing gear to vapor/phantom gear?

i guess you'd do it the same way you compare and contrast whether OP will actually go on any hike, let alone the CDT.............

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    2. Decide for yourself what you need in a trail shelter. Then research shelters that meet your needs.
    3. Try to cultivate an original thought. We can't spoon feed you answers to your personal needs in gear.
    4. We don't know your direction or start date. That figures in to your gear selection.

Wayne

1. I spoke to someone at Sierra Designs and they are in fact coming out with a mid style shelter in spring.
    2. I've did that and as I talked about in the original post, i'm asking others opinions.
    3. Again, asking opinions, not to be spoon fed.
    4. SOBO

I was meaning this as a question to compare companies, shelter wise, have you had any experience with either company and if so which would you pick? Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i guess you'd do it the same way you compare and contrast whether OP will actually go on any hike, let alone the CDT.............
    I hike just about every day. I thank you for your comment, I appreciate the feedback. And yes, planning for the CDT is well underway. Thank you and I hope you have an awesome weekend!

Images

For anyone in the future who is going to comment I meant to make my question more simple. For a shelter, would you select Mount Laurel Designs or Sierra Designs? Thanks.

Images

And yes, planning for the CDT is well underway

good............glad to hear it............hope it goes as well as your planning for the PCT trail last year went....

I hike just about every day.

so do i............i call it "walking"....

i just figure that someone who has a name such as "onadventures" and runs a blog----would at least post something about said hikes.........

Images

good............glad to hear it............hope it goes as well as your planning for the PCT trail last year went....

so do i............i call it "walking"....

i just figure that someone who has a name such as "onadventures" and runs a blog----would at least post something about said hikes.........
    You're so sweet. If you looked at any previous posts, any talks of PCT were directed towards 2016, not 15. So you're saying you can't change your mind on something that is over a year away? That's interesting. Don't worry, when I'm thru hiking the CDT next year I'll be sure to specifically send you several pictures so you can keep up with my journey. It'll be great to talk adventure with you and share my journey. You just made me even more excited to hike it, thank you! This truly has been a thankful Thanksgiving weekend to me. You're the best! Have an awesome weekend buddy!

Images

Don't worry, when I'm thru hiking the CDT next year I'll be sure to specifically send you several pictures so you can keep up with my journey.

sure ya will.......

ill be looking forward to seeing them....................

You're so sweet. If you looked at any previous posts, any talks of PCT were directed towards 2016, not 15. So you're saying you can't change your mind on something that is over a year away?

no............trust us........we know you can change your mind on a bunch of things........

Images

sure ya will.......

ill be looking forward to seeing them....................

no............trust us........we know you can change your mind on a bunch of things........

Good i'm glad you're looking forward to it!! It's gonna be a great time! Gonna get to enjoy one of the best parts of our beautiful country. Thanks buddy you're the best. Thanks for answering my original question on Sierra Designs vs MLD shelters. You're the best. Have a great night!

MLD, since it actually exists.

But get at least a solomid xl or a duomid, if you're taller than 5'2" and need room to change your mind.

Personally, I have a Duomid and a Zpacks Duplex. If there were ANY chance of bugs I'd take the Duplex. I hate the hassle and weight of innernets.

The pitching speed of a mid is useful if you have a lot of afternoon thunderstorms and need something you can throw up pronto.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BenOnAdventures View Post
    For anyone in the future who is going to comment I meant to make my question more simple. For a shelter, would you select Mount Laurel Designs or Sierra Designs? Thanks.
    No shortage of mids out there. And SD wouldnt make first cut with a nonexistant shelter.

I would get what fits your budget,size and weight requirement . New designs might cost more then last years design. SMD has some nice Mids.

Thom

Thanks.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

You forgot:
    None of the above.
    I'm getting closer to a shelter decision and my short list does not include either of those companies.
    You have made me think about reconsidering the whole pyramid shelter concept.
    When I did look at pyramids, I recall being impressed by Seek Outside in Grand Junction, CO, HMG in Maine and Locus Gear in Japan. I'll have to look at my notes.
    SOBO Rocks!
    I do hope that the snow levels next year are manageable. Prepare to be flexible and creative.
    Good luck!

Wayne

I'm getting closer to a shelter decision and my short list does not include either of those companies.
    When I did look at pyramids, I recall being impressed by Seek Outside in Grand Junction, CO, HMG in Maine and Locus Gear in Japan. I'll have to look at my notes.
    SOBO Rocks!
    I do hope that the snow levels next year are manageable. Prepare to be flexible and creative.
    Good luck!

Wayne

Wow! Very nice but expensive. And cf packs big Deschutes Plus $ 143. 16oz

Thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    MLD, since it actually exists.

But get at least a solomid xl or a duomid, if you're taller than 5'2" and need room to change your mind.

Personally, I have a Duomid and a Zpacks Duplex. If there were ANY chance of bugs I'd take the Duplex. I hate the hassle and weight of innernets.

The pitching speed of a mid is useful if you have a lot of afternoon thunderstorms and need something you can throw up pronto.
    I'm 6'3, 215. So duomid? The MLD 2016 Solomid on their site. These are the dimensions: 109" Long
    44" Wide
    50" Tall
    Also here's the link if that helps:
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=213

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You forgot:
    None of the above.
    SOBO Rocks!
    Good luck!

Wayne

Thanks i appreciate it i'll look into those. And this is the link to the one i was looking at: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=213

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    SOBO Rocks!
    Good luck!

Wayne

Wow! Very nice but expensive. And cf packs big Deschutes Plus $ 143. 16oz

Thom
    Thanks i appreciate the suggestion, i'll look into it!!

I have pretty limited experience with it but I recently picked up a Duomid second hand. I used it one night so far and it fit my dog and I with plenty of room. I'm planning to get a few more night in it before the end of the year. It's goes up very easily which I like (make sure you square up the back corners). I'm still working out the dual pole use and hope to get it squared away tomorrow when I cut the adapter longer. Also working on a groundsheet. I'd recommend looking into a duomid if you plan to be living out of it for a few months on a thru hike. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++