WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bags on the AT

I have done a lot of research over the last few months and I am not impressed with most of the bags out there. I currently have a synthetic Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20 which weighs 2lbs 14oz. I would prefer to cut off a decent amount of that weight. I have been looking at the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 which weighs only 1lb 6oz and is a down bag. This would bring my pack base weight down to roughly 16lbs. I would like some advice and suggestions on sleeping bags for the trail. I will be sleeping in a tent, most likely the Big Agnes Fly Creek, with a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite. I am not a fan of the katabatic palaside or zpacks "hoodless" type sleeping bags/quilts as I prefer a hood. I also tend to sleep in just boxers inside of a sleeping bag silk liner. Is there a good lightweight bag that will last the entire trip? once again advice and suggestions are much appreciated!

Isnt the xlite uninsulated? What else do you have/are using that brings your baseweight to 16 pounds?

You don't say when your starting the hike. A bag which will be warm enough for a February start will be too warm by May or June. If you start in May, your bag may not be warm enough in September up in Maine.

If you start in April, you can get away with a 30* bag for the whole trip, but you might be a bit chilly early on and at the end. Light weight bags don't have a great temp rating, so if you want light, you also want warm weather. Or your going to have to carry extra clothes to make up for a poor bag temp rating so you have no net weight savings.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto #3 above. If you're a 5 month-pace hiker or faster and start in mid-April, one bag will likely do it. Otherwise two bags might be better. I started early April with my 15F bag, and had nighttime temps in the teens during two separate spring blizzards. My Phantom 32 made it the rest of the way after mid-May.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I had the MH PHantom, nice bag but I thought the chambers were underfilled and it wasn't good for me down to freezing. Got a Western Mountaineering Megalite to replace it. 30-F rating is right on for me.

The Neoair is good for me down to the 40s or so, but it's not enough insulation below that so I bring a Prolite 4 in colder weather. My partner has an Xtherm and she's always warm with that thing (and it's not heavy).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Most likely I will start on March 25th NOBO and I figure I that l will take between 5 and 6 months finishing at the end of August/beginning of september. The Lamina 20 with the NeoAir Xlite without the liner at 40 degrees was too hot. I don't mind wearing some clothes in the beginning, but i tend to be hot when i sleep hence why i typically sleep in boxers. Here is a link to my "work in progress pack". Anything with a green star is final/not going to change. everything else is still up for debate
    Pack: http://lighterpack.com/r/d36f3p

I believe it is. I know that it does have reflective heat layers and a R value of 3.2

Are you willing to suffer a little. I started about the same time carrying Western Mountaineering Highlite rated 35 F weighs 1 lb, Neoair Xllite sleeping in BA Flycreek UL1. I spent a couple of cold nights sleeping in all my clothes in 20 degree weather but the light pack was worth it. WM gear is very sturdy but a little pricey. Bag will outlast the trail and you will have it for years.

Images

Regarding sleeping bags, my only comment is that it's much better to error on the side of too warm. I'd add that your bag, no matter the quality, will lose some insulation capacity due to both normal wear and tear and also the damp/humid nature of the AT. And being cold SUCKS.

The other thought I have after looking at your gear list is that you don't have a "base layer" listed, nor much else in the way of insulation, and all those zero weight entries you have for items are going to push your base weight closer to 19-20 lbs than 16 lbs. Not that 20 lbs base is bad, just an observation.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-28-2015 at 14:04.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thanks for the input, I definitely do not want to be cold. Patagonia capilene will be my base layer and I fail to see how the items i have left to purchase and weigh will equate to an extra 6 or 7 pounds. I am attempting to get my total pack weight including consumables under 28 pounds more around the 25 to 26 pound area full with the 5 days of food and other supplies. Remember my list is a "work in progress." I'm 150 pounds and fairly fit, but I like to move fast and live comfortably on the trail. As for bags im still unsure. I like the idea of not swapping bags out, but id rather be comfortable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mksapp View Post
    Thanks for the input, I definitely do not want to be cold. Patagonia capilene will be my base layer and I fail to see how the items i have left to purchase and weigh will equate to an extra 6 or 7 pounds. I am attempting to get my total pack weight including consumables under 28 pounds more around the 25 to 26 pound area full with the 5 days of food and other supplies. Remember my list is a "work in progress." I'm 150 pounds and fairly fit, but I like to move fast and live comfortably on the trail. As for bags im still unsure. I like the idea of not swapping bags out, but id rather be comfortable.
    I'm thinking the following based on some known average weights:
    phone and charger 6oz
    extra pr hiking socks 3 oz
    camp shirt capilene top 6 oz
    camp shorts 3 oz
    town shorts 3 oz
    town shirt 6 oz
    mid weight fleece 16 oz
    hat 2 oz
    shell 8 oz
    toothbrush 1 oz
    toothpaste 2 oz
    nail clippers 2 oz
    TP (1/2 roll) 2 oz
    1st aid 2 oz
    sunscreen 4 oz
    towel 3 oz
    trowel 1 oz
    at guide 8 oz
    extra batteries (headlamp) 2 oz

That's 5 lbs 3 oz. on pretty much minimum weights for the unworn items you listed, with no bottom base layer included, which I would say puts it at basically just under 6 lbs. Maybe 5lbs with the absolute lightest stuff, but I honestly don't think you can hold the weight of all that stuff to 3 lbs for a 16 lb base. I wouldn't honestly worry that much about base weight though. It isn't going to make or break your hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

After revising my pack a little I do see where it is heading toward 19 pounds or so. Pack weight is stressing me out guys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mksapp View Post
    After revising my pack a little I do see where it is heading toward 19 pounds or so. Pack weight is stressing me out guys.
    You are 24. Lots of people thru-hike with far more than a 20 lb base even today. EVERYBODY who hiked did so just a few decades ago. Take what you need for the task at hand, the conditions you may encounter, and whatever "luxury items" you really really want - because you have to enjoy yourself - this is supposed to be enjoyable. Don't get roped into some magic number. 2 lbs won't make a difference in finishing or not. The only number that matters is 2189.2 miles.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-28-2015 at 16:50.

Thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it! I know packs were and some still are a lot heavier I just have that lightweight fever. I'm also just so caught up in getting as much right as I can before I go. I've read so many stories of miserable days & nights on the trail due to gear choices which leads to wasted money. I know its a trial and error type deal that is why I have three(April,June,August) 7-10 day shakedown hikes in 2016 to prepare for the thru-hike.

Phantom 32 is a great bag. I'm guessing it'll be warm enough for all but a handful of the coldest nights in your first few weeks (leaving late March) and your last few weeks in Maine.

This has been my system for several decades. A warm bag, even a 10 degree bag, can work in hot weather. Unzip and use as a very loose quilt. Your light insulated jacket worn with the bag draped over the legs works fine.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Coming from the perspective of "the old days", I can tell you that a pack that weighs 15% of your body weight is about right if you are trying to balance comfort with low weight. However, even in he old days, most people wanted to hit 10% after walking a hundred miles or so

The secret to low pack weight is to bring less. And for the things you do bring, don't bring a heavy version. It's really that simple

Most people bring way too many clothes. If you are wearing shorts and a t shirt, and carrying long john tops & bottoms + a jacket hat and gloves + rain gear you'll survive. Add an extra pair of long johns if it's extra cold.

Most people also go overboard on a shelter. It's not the Himalayas - you don't need much. It just has to protect you from rain, and keep the breeze off you when it's cold. I used a tube tent for hundreds of miles, in winter, spring/fall and summer. It worked just fine.

Your pack can be simple too. I find it easier to just pile things into the 1 big sack, than to have to remember what pocket I put things into.

The one thing I wouldn't skimp on is a sleeping bag. Bring one that's warm enough in the winter. Otherwise you'll sleep very poorly. Bring one that's cool enough in the summer. Otherwise you'll sleep very poorly.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    This has been my system for several decades. A warm bag, even a 10 degree bag, can work in hot weather. Unzip and use as a very loose quilt. Your light insulated jacket worn with the bag draped over the legs works fine.

This. I use my 20 degree bag for three season camping. You can encounter temperatures of 40-60 degrees and pouring rain any month of the year, especially in the pouring rain and in these conditions I need to know that my bag is going to be sufficient to warm me up. Additionally, multiple days of heavy rain is going to result in some amount of moisture getting into the sleeping bag's insulation and reducing it's effectiveness, to me having a bag that is warmer than the expected temperatures in necessary in these conditions.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I just upgraded to a Enlightened Equipment 20*. I like how I can just unzip it completely and use as a blanket on warmer nights but still have the ability to cinch up the bottom and and strap around the pad on colder nights. Saves a lot of weight too.

++ New Posts ++