WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    while I am looking at my guidebook, can any of you tell me what are the best options for shuttles to a main bus route, to Harrisburg it looks like, in the middle of PA to go south? I would like to do one section Harpers Ferry to Duncannon for 124 miles. Then north to DWG for 147 miles.
    I believe greyhound connects duncannon and Harrisburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I believe greyhound connects duncannon and Harrisburg
    What I found was Greyhound goes to Carlisle, and a local Harrisburg Transit area bus has only a couple of early am and late afternoon commuter runs to the bridge at Duncannan. Good enough for a hiker !

I'm also looking for hiking partners in PA & NJ. I'm currently working on NJ (missing NY to Sunrise Mountain) and PA (missing DWG to Hawk Mountain Rd and Rt 138 to Duncannon). I've been hiking SOBO, mostly weekend day hikes, 2 or 3 day backpacks, loops, whatever works. 10-12 mpd and I'm pretty much slow and steady. 2 - 2.5 mph depending on the terrain. I'm easy going and don't mind driving. If you think we can make something work, please keep me in mind.

im up for northeast PA and jersey for weekends. i typically have off friday, saturday, sunday.

I will be doing Pen Mar Northbound for 7.5 days first weeks of may during bloom if anyone would like to join and help shuttle
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Okay a lot of interest here from you fine folks so lets narrow this down a bit,is anyone also interested in winter hiking? CapeHiker and I have been knocking out some sections in the winter so far,anyone else interested?(it is really not that cold as long as you have the right equipment!)

Let's see how bad this first winter storm hits and I'll get back to you. I like the cold under a limit. Just my body does not generate enough heat to keep me warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Akela View Post
    Let's see how bad this first winter storm hits and I'll get back to you. I like the cold under a limit. Just my body does not generate enough heat to keep me warm.
    We haven't really had a winter storm yet this year to decipher the like or dislike of "winter hiking".

I have found that I like early winter, early spring..Not so much the snow. Ill do about 1 trip a year but now that Im complete all the way up into VA Its hard to make that trip to get out and push through the snow the whole time
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Lumberjack:
    I would be interested in a winter hike but I agree that I would like to see what the upcoming storms do to the trail. I believe you guys are talking about a three-day weekend hike sometime soon?

CPT Kirk

I am looking as well to hike sections of PA this spring/summer.

Default PA Section Hiking

I'd be interested in joining anyone going East/North from the 501 shelter. I live near Harrisburg and can shuttle or help out. I'm 56 and hike slow but cover 10-15 per day. I use PA to get ready for tougher sections. I finished Maine last summer and plan to start on the Whites in August. Just PM me.

Cheers!!!

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

I'm interested in this as well. Been out in the snow and cold a lot here in southern/central PA and would like to hit some of the northeast parts.

Planning a 2 night trip from Cove Mountain PA to Clark Creek at PA Route 325. It is about 25 miles in total. Looking for someone to join me. We could park one car at the beginning and the other at the end and shuttle each other. Looking to go in June during any weekdays, the actual days for me are flexible. If interested in going, please let me know.

I'm interested in joining some sections. I live about 20-30 minutes from where the trail crosses Duncannon, so I'm quite familiar with the surrounding sections. I'm looking at hiking NOBO from the Eckville Shelter to the DE water gap through the summer.

Anyone up for a hike Feb 19-20 or Feb 27-28

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack03 View Post
    Anyone up for a hike Feb 19-20 or Feb 27-28
    I am down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Lumberjack:
    My hiking buddy and I are planning a hike to begin on February 29 in PA. I could use the section from Hawk Mtn Road near, Eckville Shelter, to Lehigh Gap and could do it the 27th & 28th if you're interested.
    CPT Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by cdk4091 View Post
    Lumberjack:
    My hiking buddy and I are planning a hike to begin on February 29 in PA. I could use the section from Hawk Mtn Road near, Eckville Shelter, to Lehigh Gap and could do it the 27th & 28th if you're interested.
    CPT Kirk
    I think that weekend we are actually planning PA 443 TO PA 183,which is 2 sections before Eckville,if your interested in that let me know
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I will be doing Pen Mar Northbound for 7.5 days first weeks of may during bloom if anyone would like to join and help shuttle
    This sounds really good! As you know, I've not yet hiked PA, and am looking to this year, along with some other stuff of course. I'm thinking 7.5 days should easily be past halfway thru the state.
    I'll be PMing you about this as we get a little closer to May.

u.w.
    Last edited by u.w.; 02-10-2016 at 03:32.

Andy:
    I am interested in the PA 443 to PA 183 on the 27th & 28th. I will need to get my buddy to agree to modify our hike to begin north at 183 on the 29th however. Will let you know.
    Dale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++