WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Check out Flat Cat Gear. I have a titanium bobcat system with a .9 evernew pot and his epicurean stove. He sells an internal aluminum baking pan that fits inside my pot. I take just add water pizza crusts and make calzones with pepperoni and string cheese or chicken parm with pouch chicken, dehydrated sauce, and string cheese. He has a free pdf cookbook on his site of things he makes with his stove. I use esbit wth this but if you use alcohol he has stuff for that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dry or steam baked?

Dry baking. The epicurean stove is really simple. It's shaped like a crown. If it's one way your esbit burns full bore. If you turn it upside down it cuts the air off and the esbit will simmer which is how I use it for baking. I just use a full tablet and when it goes out its done. I've never had anything burn this way.

Dry baking. The epicurean stove is really simple. It's shaped like a crown. If it's one way your esbit burns full bore. If you turn it upside down it cuts the air off and the esbit will simmer which is how I use it for baking. I just use a full tablet and when it goes out its done. I've never had anything burn this way.

Interesting, thanks. Unfortunately, I have the non-stick Evernew (seemed like a good idea at the time...) so dry baking probably isn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Interesting, thanks. Unfortunately, I have the non-stick Evernew (seemed like a good idea at the time...) so dry baking probably isn't a good idea.

Don't have the set mentioned but I've done baking with sets that aren't non stick ya just need to grease the pan well or line them with foil or parchment paper
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Images

I use a oven safe silicone bowl part of a mixing bowl set that fits inside my SnowPeak 900 raised up off the bottom with a heavy foil ring makes a double size muffin in 15mins

I might be wrong but I think the concern with non stick is baking off Teflon the coating? I just cut a parchment paper circle for the bottom of my pan.

I do 3 muffins in silicone cups will steam bake in a 6" pan. It takes about 15 minutes in the Sierra, probably a couple less at lower elevations.

I might be wrong but I think the concern with non stick is baking off Teflon the coating? I just cut a parchment paper circle for the bottom of my pan.

far at as I thought Teflon really isn't used anymore for that reason. Anodized pans no worries
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I think evernew uses a ceramic vice Teflon coating, but yes - I believe the same principle applies.

Great video! Thanks for sharing. I wasn't familiar with Shug. I got sucked into the youtube vortex and watched a bunch of his bbq videos. I use the daddyo pan that he uses after the bunt pan. I cut the top lip of the pan off and I want to say that makes it maybe an ounce lighter. I like the bunt pan just because I'm a sucker for that type of thing but I haven't had issues with muffins not being done in the center and I imagine they are heavier than the regular pans and make a smaller muffin. After watching his backpack baking videos and then his home BBQ videos I'm thinking about how to backpack BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    More options by "shug"

Images

I have a lot of fun making muffins with alchy stoves. this is a quote from bplite.com

I used my 2 piece aluminum cake pan....don't like it!!! too messy for clean up.
    The pan is just a tad bigger than the one piece that I had used earlier.
    Same cake mix and water.
    I still need to fine tune the system. I can use les water so that the water eill have evaporated and give me a 1/2 min dry bake to get rid of some of the moisture in the cake. Right now the flame goes out at about 6.5 min.
    I used a StarLyte stove for simmering, 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol and steamed the cake for 6 min. (don't quote me on that)

Here is a link to the thread that gives more info on baking stuff

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?...fins&start=210

Last edited by zelph; 01-16-2016 at 17:43. Reason: added link

Where did you get the pan from?

Zelph that looks delicious and thanks for the link. Minimus.biz sells single use chocolate fudge frosting packets that would be great on something like this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Where did you get the pan from?
    A member here on WB. We did a trade....pan for a stove :-)

The link I gave has a ton of good info on baking. This past week I've been using a Fancee Feest stove under a Caldera Cone and find that it behave really nice in the confined environment, no radical flames up the sides.

Images

Zelph that looks delicious and thanks for the link. Minimus.biz sells single use chocolate fudge frosting packets that would be great on something like this.

Oh my!!! I'm going to get a good amount of that for my muffins/cakes. Thanks for the source :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    Somewhere in the past I read that you could take water only muffin mix and make them on the trail.
    How would you do this as I have read on the package to make in the oven?
    You can dry bake inside a titanium pot or using a hood over a wood burning stove or fire coals

OR you can steam bake inside most kinds of cook pot as long as there is room. One tip is to use Nido powdered whole milk and/or Ova Easy egg crystals if your recipe calls for milk or eggs.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++