WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Patagonia. Patagonia.

Via ferrata Italy is pretty cool too. An adult obstacle course with some serious exposure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=via+...errata%20italy

One more shown here on WB before, is Caminito Del Rey http://expertvagabond.com/caminito-del-rey/

I wouldn't go to a barren place like Utah. Perhaps to the Alps, to Glacier National Park (what a place!), oh ALASKA would surely be on my list!

I have been to Grindelwald and hiked around that area and the Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland. They are breathtaking areas that you will never forget. I have also hiked in Glacier NP, Waterton Lakes NP, Banff NP, Yoho NP, and Jasper NP - all have scenery that is as pretty (some may want to argue that point) and are a lot closer and way cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Hard to beat southern New Zealand. An incredible trail network and good transportation options. Fly into Queenstown and there are shuttles services that will bring you anywhere you need to go. No need to deal with shuttles.
    +1.

Same if you fly into Nelson and shuttle to some beach hikes.

Western China is very close to my dream trip. You must cross the border from China west into the Pamir Mountains, mostly in Tadjikistan. Except the border crossing from China is not open so you must enter from Dushanbe or Osh on the Pamir highway. These are some of the most rugged , remote, and least visited mountains in the world. The Pamiri people have a culture that goes back thousands of yeas and are inherit remnants if a civilization thst dominated world culture, economics, and learning for a thousand years. Trekking is slow here partly because of the extreme altitude. You will stop often to catch your breath. Partly because of the scenery. You will stop often to take in the breathtaking views. Also because you will be required to stop and have sharchai (tea with salt and yak butter) with every band if nomadic shepherds you encounter. Then you will be fed dinner. Then they will organize a party with mudic and dancing. You will then be invited to spend the night. The next day they will send you off with a bag of food. These people basically invented trail magic. All this while trekking through the greatest mountain scenary anywhere. As an added bonus you have access to the ultimate adventure trek. If you cross the border at Iskashim and go east you will be in the Wakahn Corridor - the most remote (and only safe) part of Afghanistan. This sliver of land is cut off from the rest of the world, which has spared it from all the violence in surrounding regions. Crossing back into Tadjikistan, you can head east toward the Chinese border to the high altitude plateau of the high Pamir. Here you find Kyrgyz people instead of Tadjiks, yurts instead of homes, and countless miles of cold bare spectacular landscapes. You will need to be self sufficient. The only place to resupply will be in Khorog, the regional capital. Want to know more? Google it or buy the only definitive guide to Pamir travel and trekking "Tajikistan and the High Pamirs" by Middleton and Thomas.

Uluru.

However, there are too many places to visit here before I think about anywhere that far away. I want to visit all of our states before I explore the rest of the planet. That likely means I will not see Uluru. The best I have see so far is Monument Valley (IMHO).

States visited.jpg

States visited. Green equals lived in, blue equals spent many weeks in, brown equals spent at least a few nights in, pink equals just visited, and white equals ain't been there yet.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I've been researching for 6 months where I want to travel to, and it's going to be to see the fjords in Norway:

I've never, ever, seen anything more beautiful.

Cirque of the Unclimbables.
    Another place in Canada. Forgot the name. Researching. I'll be back when I find it.

Utah is not barren.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Cirque of the Unclimbables.
    Another place in Canada. Forgot the name. Researching. I'll be back when I find it.

Utah is not barren.

Wayne

Didn't take long.
    This place. Can't pronounce it.

http://nunavuttourism.com/parks-spec...arks/auyuittuq

And there is always open boat cruising.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    I've been researching for 6 months where I want to travel to, and it's going to be to see the fjords in Norway:

I've never, ever, seen anything more beautiful.
    Yeah, I wonder why this didn't come up before. As a Norwegian I just love my country. I want to tip you about Northern Norway. It's fantastic. But the best tip is to travel wherever it is sunny. It is a lot of (bad) weather here, but there is always somewhere it is sunny.

I have been 16 times to USA, and it never gets old. I like to drive places. Next up for me is Oregon and Washington (and Southwest Canada). I also would like to go to Japan, , Belgium and Bhutan. For hiking, nothing really beats Norway, but all my focus is on the Appalachian trail, that I've been planning for years. I would also like to hike in the Alps and elsewhere in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Patagonia. Patagonia.

A friend of mine just left for Patagonia, and I would say it's an awesome destination and at the top of my list. That and parts of northern Canada, including the route described by Grinnell in Death on the Barrens, which I would love to follow. Still, as strange as it may sound, if I had my choice to go anywhere on earth, it would still be the stomping grounds of my youth, in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. There's really nothing like the mist over a valley seen from a mountain-top in the Southern Appalachians, or the spray from a waterfall in Pisgah or the Nantahala forest. My favorite place on earth is actually my home.

Western China is very interesting.
    Haven't been there in 20 years but Tibet is rustic, vast, enormous and spectacular. All at the same time.
    Can be rough if you go yourself.
    We rented a land rover in Llasa and drove it 5 days through the northern side of the Himalayas to the Nepal border.
    Food was scarce, people were friendly. Lots of religion, Lots of open spaces.
    If you've only left the US once, and to hit the Canadian side of Niagra falls, well, you might want to try a place that has more readily available food and infrastructure first.
    But, if you go, you'll be amazed!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

If you decide to stay in the US, I'd definitely agree with the others on Southern Utah. My husband and I go out to S Utah a couple of times a year for canyoneering, hiking, camping and exploring. We consider it our second home and never tire off the area. We love to camp in the Dixie National Forrest and Barker Rec Area.

Images

Back in time 40+ years.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

I want to go here:
    image.jpg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I want to go here:
    image.jpg
    To the Winter Olympics?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

LoL!
    image.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    To the Winter Olympics?
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I just made this same observation on Trailspace but this appears to be marketing spam:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/beg...77.html#172745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++