WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer to NOC 3 weeks sometime in May 2016

Novice long distance hiker looking for someone or a group to hang with during a 3 week trip. I am an experienced hiker and camper just new to long distance. Normally day hike 8 to 10 miles with a 25 pound pack. Have done numerous trips though Wyoming and Utah. But new to bear cables and hanging food. have been planning this for months and can't wait. dates are flexible would like to go in May 2016.
    Last edited by Kristeninmb; 11-03-2015 at 19:30.

Section Hiker

Hi, Kristen. I've done that section in several bits, mostly in May/June. Even if you go solo, that's a popular time to be out and you may find plenty of people to visit with in camp or even join up to hike with. Possibly even some very late thru hikers or LASHERS (long-ass section hikers). Bear cables are very easy to use but not everywhere you need them, so definitely practice the proper way to throw a bear bag at home/local park before you go (and remember to put ALL your smellables up at night including empty wrappers and toothburh/toothpaste). This is the video that helped me learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

There are also several opportunities in that section for nice hostel stays to break up the trip. I recommend The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega and Top of GA at Dick's Creek. NOC is a fantastic place to end a hike (or start, or just go hand out...). Breakfast at River's End Restaurant there is very good!

My section videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4...JgIFjm8kl5Dncw

Have a great hike, be safe, and HAVE FUN!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thank you so much for the reassurance that just because I'm solo that I won't be alone. I plan on practicing throwing a bag, thanks for the video. You are the best.

That's a great time of year to hike this section. You will not be alone. Especially in Georgia and on weekends.

Thanks so much for the reassurance of people being there. dealing with the bear bag doesn't worry me as much as being in the shelter all by myself during a thunderstorm. (had that dream last night)

Trust us, you will not be alone. You may wish you were alone, but you will not be alone during that time frame. As to thunderstorms in the shelter? It will sound like the mother of all thunderstorms in a shelter when people start snoring! Still, bring a good camera for the wildflowers, and enjoy the hike!

In my opinion, the period right around Mother's Day is perfect. Long days, great weather with cool nights. Not too hot. Some bugs, but fresh green leaves/vegetation galore. Wish I had some time available to do that section next May.

I will be starting my NOBO thru from Springer on or after April 24. Maybe I'll see you around up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Journal Entries

Hi Kristen. My husband and I are doing Deep Gap to Springer starting May 20th. Hope to see you on the trail!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    In my opinion, the period right around Mother's Day is perfect. Long days, great weather with cool nights. Not too hot. Some bugs, but fresh green leaves/vegetation galore. Wish I had some time available to do that section next May.
    I concur with his opinion. Enjoy your hike!

That would be great!! thanks any pointers for a novice hiker?

I'm planning on doing a month long section hike starting at springer first week of may so may see you around

I'm doing Springer to NOC from June 12th to June 26th. First time long distance for myself too. Lots of 2 or 3 nighters, hiking and camping my whole life behind me - I just wanted to knock out the AT before I die. My mid-life crisis my wife calls it....hahaha

I'm planning to hike half the trail, NOBO starting May 14th, so maybe I'll see you as well!

You will not be alone. I would go solo and that will give you the freedom to hike your own hike, and still have the social experience you desire, when you desire to have it.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

We are leaving from Springer the morning of May 9th - NOBO for about 10 days

++ New Posts ++