WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiker

Default Newfound Gap: Cell service, shuttle?

Hopefully my last questions on the Park... I want to have a contingency plan for splitting my GSMNP hike in 2, going into Gatlinburg one night. Am I likely to have Verizon cell service at the Gap? And, I'm not keen on hitching by myself... Who shuttles from NFG to G-burg and back out the next morning? Anyone?

Thanks!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I vaguely recall checking my Verizon phone for reception in October 2011, where I had a weak signal. I think I had a stronger signal atop Clingman's Dome.

Lots of hikers hitch down to Gatlinburg, to the point that you could partner up with someone if you don't want to go solo. I know that there are shuttles from G-burg back to NFG, but I do not believe there are any regularly scheduled pick-ups at NFG.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker

Thanks, Kerosene. I read your blog yesterday from your 2011 hike, thanks for sharing it on another post. I'm pretty excited but it looks like there could be a fair bit of rain mid-week next week. Of course. Since it has been absolutely gorgeous for 2 weeks straight.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

i wouldnt count on having a cell signal at the gap.....

you may get one----more than likely you wont though...........

and likewise-----hitching from the gap to town and back is the easiest hitch in the park.......

especially, this time of year when traffic is heavy coming through park...

if you want a shuttle, id say youd have to set it up in advance and a walk in the woods is a good company to go with.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've got Verizon, and while I'm not experienced at trying to get reception from New Found Gap, I am experienced with trying to get reception from atop Mt. LeConte.

On LeConte, cell service is spotty at best. If the weather is clear, I might be able to place a phone call and can most likely send a text message. But if it is raining, I can't even get a text message thru.

LeConte is roughly line-of-sight to Gatlinburg and a little less than 6 miles away.
    New Found Gap is NOT line-of-sight to Gatlinburg and is 8 miles away. It is line-of-sight to Cherokee, NC... but the distance is over 10 miles.

So I would say that you have almost no chance of getting a signal from New Found Gap.

As others have said, no regular shuttle services at the gap, but there are a number of private shuttle companies you can hire to either pick you up or deliver supplies to you at the gap.
    Two companies I've used for shuttle service in GSMNP include:
    A Walk In The Woods
    AAA Hiker Services
    A one-way shuttle should cost around $50 or so... you would have call and ask for a quote to see if they have discounts for a two-way shuttle.

The Nantahalla Outdoor Center (NOC) in Gatlinburg runs periodic free shuttles to Newfound Gap. However, I don't know if they do it year round (when the road is open) or just during the peak thru hiking
    season. You can give them a call and ask. 865-277-8209.

I don't recall any cell service in my phone (verizon-based Straight Talk phone) when I was there in early April. It was an easy hitch to town. I arranged a paid ride back the next day w/ no problem.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Images

I just came over NFG this afternoon. In the parkinglot I received some tex,t and e mail while having some weak 3 G coverage. YMMV. There was a large van from a walk in the woods loading some people.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've called the Gatlinburg NOC from NFG parking lot for a shuttle into town with Verizon. I would think you should be able to call out.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++