WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

For many year a few people in Monson have been providing bucket drops in the 100 Mile Wilderness to help hikers make it through that stretch. Well, not anymore. As of now these services are no longer available due to your current thru-hikers, or current backpackers in the area. Chances are these were of course some NOBO's given the time of the year this has happened in.

It's 117 miles from Katahdin/Monson to Monson/Katahdin if Baxter keeps Katahdin open next year. Resupply is available at Abol Bridge although it's limited. For NOBO's you can get you last night/days for there, but SOBO's don't plan on using it for a long term. Something to consider would be setting up a drop, and have someone meet you there at a given time on a certain day.

Plan Wisely!

[/URL]
    AT15
    OT15

Images

Way too bad, but Shaw's still provides food drop-off at three road crossings in the 100-mile; Katahdin Ironworks, Kokadjo Road and Jo Mary Lake road. This is a "personalized" timed-meet thing, making it harder for some to plan for, plus it costs $70/$80 per meet/drop depending on where ($80 total for two of us at Kokadjo Rd, right at half way through). My wife and I used this service just last week, and it should be able to continue as it doesn't have the same drop-and-leave method that can lead to people leaving lots of trash. The Shaw ladies did collect our trash for us, plus they brought us a couple ice cold beers and sodas. We did two 15 mile days (tough), then a 13 mile day (moderate), then an 11-mile (easy) half day to meet them at noon, fourth day out.

I can't say enough good things about the total Shaw's experience, though of course we ate at the Lakeshore (great food).

Nice job to those who claim to be adult but obviously need supervision. Further demonstration of ethical erosion.

Well, that's not surprising and was predictable. I read one trail journals where that spot was called "the bucket graveyard" so I imagine there were quite a few buckets littering the area. Of course, some of the blame has go to the Lake Shorehouse as they created the service and had a responsibility to keep the area clean and pick up after the less considerate hikers. Then there is the possibility that these food drops attracted bears who actually did the damage.

I guess future hikers will just have to do the HMW the way everyone else did it in the past - carry enough food.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I guess future hikers will just have to do the HMW the way everyone else did it in the past - carry enough food.
    Or use Shaw's, as we just did.

You should still be able to have someone meet you with supplies. But like you said that is kind of hard to pinpoint an exact time. NOBO's should be able to make it from Monson to Abol Bridge in 5-6 days, and SOBO's were taking about 8-10 days when we headed through.

Still no surprise to anyone who's been following some of the trash on the trail this year.
    AT15
    OT15

Sounds like a commercial enterprise created a problem and created a dump on the trail and is finally being force to cease and desist from profiting from adding to litter on the trail. Is that a harsh judgement?

What a shame, I just used them a week ago at the end of my thru to enjoy dragging my feet through nine days of beauty while carrying half the amount of food. Little did I know I would be one of the last.. When I passed through there were close to 20 buckets all neatly left in the dropoff point and no trash in sight. I do agree with Slo in not being 100% convinced this was a deliberate act or even a human spreading the trash. A lot of the buckets were worn out with warped lids that are kinda spring loaded ready to jump off once they are closed. I had to really slam the lid hard on my bucket for it to stick and wouldn't be a bit surprised if one popped off while unattended leaving it open for small animals or the wind to spread the trash far and wide. Many of the hikers who were causing devastation down south ran out of money or got bored 500+ miles ago, I certainly encountered less folks in NH/ME who would deliberately make a mess. That's all water under the bridge though, all we know for sure is that it's gone for everyone else. Shaw's is still an option and potentially more affordable than Lakeshore if four or more people go in, though arranging to be at a certain time and place to get it sure doesn't fit my hiking style as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    Shaw's is still an option and potentially more affordable than Lakeshore if four or more people go in, though arranging to be at a certain time and place to get it sure doesn't fit my hiking style as well.
    I was nervous at first, but it turned out to be easy timing for us, at least, and by the way, there are some high points along the first 50 miles where you can get cell reception, and Shaw's basically assures you that they will be completely flexible on the drop/meet time if you are running behind or ahead of schedule.

And TD55, I think that is a bit harsh. I actually know pretty much exactly what happened as I was there just before the "event" that caused all of this, but because it involves a great guy, liked by everyone on the trail and a new friend. I won't say anything more, other than his intentions were good, but he was a bit naïve on his thinking. Perhaps Long Shore should share some of the blame because they obviously supported this, again, acting a bit on the naïve side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Sounds like a commercial enterprise created a problem and created a dump on the trail and is finally being force to cease and desist from profiting from adding to litter on the trail. Is that a harsh judgement?
    More like poor parenting

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I took advantage of the drop when I hiked the HM to finish the AT with my wife and kids late this summer. When we got there, there were about 8-10 buckets neatly placed in an out of the way spot and clear directions given to us in writing on how to handle it. We left it nice and tidy. While I'll cede the point about not being bear proof or possibly able to be opened by animals, I do believe that a good resource for hikers has been lost (apparently) due to the actions of another hiker. I'll reserve judgment on motives, reasons, causes, justifications, etc. I wasn't there and don't know the individual(s). If an individual wants to choose to hump all their food for 8 days - rock on! But if the service exists and someone wants to take advantage of it than good on them too! However, (soap box warning) when folk(s) for whatever reason fail to respect the rules and a privilege is lost that is a sad thing to me, if for no other reason than that we have all lost a bit of good will with that landowner through whose property all must pass.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Good.....

Less slackers overcrowding Baxter.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If you have a car, it is pretty easy to hike the 100 mile wilderness without a drop. Park in the middle of the HMW--for example there is a road fee-free option 45 trail miles from Monson (I made it with a station wagon, but you might want high clearance...)--hike to an end, resupply, shuttle to the other end, then hike back to your car. Section hikers in Maine typically need to park and get a shuttle anyway, so I don't see the need for a drop. Most NOBOs are in shape to do the whole thing without resupply. SOBOs can probably group together a resupply. Less romantic than carrying everything on your back--but if you are considering getting a drop, you are pretty much off of the "unsupported" bandwagon already, and you might as well maximize the enjoyment of the hike.

Here's one option.

Park 55 trail miles south of Abol Bridge.
    Hike to Abol Bridge
    Shuttle to Shaw's (or the OP if she offers accommodations)
    Stay in/near Monson
    Slackpack the first 15 miles NOBO from Monson -- that is a miserable section for a full pack
    Stay in/near Monson
    Backpack the difficult 30 miles (Chairback range...) to the car
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Images

What is the big deal on a 120 mile resupply? It is good training if you ever want to hike one of the other long trails. Leaving food unattended in the wilderness is not a good idea, bucket or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    What is the big deal on a 120 mile resupply? It is good training if you ever want to hike one of the other long trails. Leaving food unattended in the wilderness is not a good idea, bucket or not.
    Good question. Thru-hikers getting soft? Maybe it says something about the ever-increasing town-stop frequency on the AT, such that 100 miles between resupply is considered daunting.

Images

Well, actually it's like 99 miles (right?), and I tend to agree, but it's such a choice, beautiful area, my wife and I appreciated starting out 7 pounds lighter than without a drop. And yeah, agree, leaving food (or trash) unattended is a bad idea, hence why the Shaw's option is so good.

exactly. and back in the day we all carried our food all the way from monson to abol. this is a non-issue. as always. with todays hikers

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    For many year a few people in Monson have been providing bucket drops in the 100 Mile Wilderness to help hikers make it through that stretch. Well, not anymore.
    [/URL]
    If they have been doing this for many years, I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story. The part about someone failing to protect the drop's anonymity confuses me.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-06-2015 at 21:39.

Seems like not long ago folks were whining about the prices and limited selections at WHL.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If they have been doing this for many years, I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story. The part about someone failing to protect the drop's anonymity confuses me.
    This is the first year I've heard of this. I think it's new.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++