WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: peanut powder

Default peanut powder

i don't know if this was posted yet-i've been hiking but JIF is now selling powdered peanuts at my local supermarket--it was 85% less fat and the only ingredient was roasted peanuts

PB2, another brand (I've never tried Jif), is sold at my local Costco.

Images

I've tried this ... it's pretty horrible tasting IMO. To me it defeats the entire purpose of taking PB hiking ... to get the calories from the fat.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

We use the powdered peanut butter for making smoothies and nothing else. If I can a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I use real peanut butter.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I'm not a fan of any JIF products. However, I am of Bell Plantation PB2. I recognize peanut butter, that includes powdered peanut butter for more than for its fat calories. PB has very good amounts of protein, fiber, texture and flavor too!

And, let's be quite clear; neither the JIF or PB2 powdered peanut butter are fat free! They are however reduced in fat. Both brands do NOT include excessive amounts of added, or any, sugar or salt. AND, most importantly do not contain ANY hydrogenated oils as many full fat constituted peanut butters do, WHICH IF YOU REALIZE, contribute to the fat content. In those cases it is NOT ALWAYS ENTRELY FAT FROM PEANUTS YOU ARE EATING!... it is hydrogenated oil!

And, if you think of your trail food by expanding your perspectives we'd realize NOT all trail food choices are SOLELY opted for based on maxing out cal/oz ratios YET you carry them onto the trail likely in abundance with regularity with rather dismal cal/oz ratios or fat content.

Let's add some perspective. http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

NOTICE: in PB2 powdered peanut butter 13 cals of the 45 calories per each 2 tbsp serving come from fat... all Natural FAT THAT COMES FROM PEANUTS. That means PB2 is 29% fat calories!

I ask, how many of your trail food choices, your go to common trail food choices, you regularly take to the trail, sometimes in abundance, contain 29% of their total cals in the form of naturally occurring fats?

In retrospect, PB2 is NOT a LOW FAT food!

And, if you like, try the PB Thins, a Triscuit/Wheat Thin like cracker but much tastier with 35% fat BUT, unlike the Triscuit and Wheat Thins, the fat is not mainly coming from the added oils but fat coming from the peanuts.

For the JIF brand powdered peanut butter: http://www.jif.com/products/regular-peanut-powder

Actually a decent product in itself, we have 15 ft cals coming from a 70 cal serving making this peanut butter having 21% of its calories coming from NATURAL FAT. So, if I'm seeking fat in a decently nutritious powdered peanut butter, as what might happen as an UL hiker seeking to lower trail food wt but keeping cals up, I'd choose the PB2.

I make a caramel tofu jerky that I roll in the PB2. It's great because it sticks to the outside, it keeps the caramel from becoming all stuck together or melting or coming off, and it tastes great (even for non-vegans)! Yum!

Ah yuk. All you aliens from the Vega system think alike.

I've tried the brand PBfit. It's not bad tasting to get the mouth feel right needs a touch of oil added and some salt. Would I buy it again? Eh maybe but I'm lazy give me ready made stuff. As others said for smoothies yep then I'd buy it.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I am curious if you know how much you're paying for PB2 in your supermarket. Amazon has it for about seven dollars a pound if you buy 2 pounds. it is much more than that in the markets here, but New York city tends to be a very expensive place to buy food.

That's a good price LAZ. Since I don't consume huge amounts of powdered PB, off or on trail, I usually buy 6.5 oz jars for as little as $2.89- 3.29. I prefer other nut butters although peanuts are not true nuts anyway.

I don't remember the price, but a quick Google check (as of May--could be out of date) said $5.49 for 16 ounces.

I think the PB fit was even more than what y'all are payin for the other stuff. If I recall it was almost 10 bucks at Costco so not sure what it goes for elsewhere.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I use this to make a Thai peanut sauce. I still carry a small bottle of sesame oil and a couple packets of soy, but boy oh boy.....

Quote Originally Posted by MoeTCrow View Post
    I use this to make a Thai peanut sauce. I still carry a small bottle of sesame oil and a couple packets of soy, but boy oh boy.....
    Yipee, creativity, FLAVOR, some health and other potential benefits from the Sesame Oil too.

I'm going to try this. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by MoeTCrow View Post
    How about posting the recipe, please?

Let me think a bit, sesame oil, soy, good peanut butter, garlic, ginger root, hot peppers of some sort, cilantro. marinate overnight, then into the dehydrator. But at home throw it into a salad. or maybe add some squid to dry with it. I'll start working on it. served over noodles of some sort. maybe Salmon head broth. For a soup less BP? Your thoughts?

AT 01, LT 03, PCT 07, CDT 15 scatman's Avatar

I used PB2 on my CDT thru-hike this year in my morning shake. Great stuff but I can't see taking the time to mix it into a paste on the trail. IMO I would just carry the real stuff.
    Scatman
    www.oneofsevenproject.com
    AT 01, LT 03, PCT 07, CDT 15
    Tour Divide, CTR, AZTR '17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++