WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First time with trekking poles... Any advice ?

Leaving tomorrow for a sixty mile hike and I'll be taking a set of Black Diamond trekking poles. Never used a set before, got am cheap and hope that they will come in handy for creek crossings (like most in the east we've got a lot of rain this week) and some steep, muddy downhills. Any advice from the experienced ?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I would say don't try and rely on the too much. I mainly carry them, not lean on them when hiking. They help me with balance, I don't know if there was 1 stream crossing in the first 550 miles of the trail that I have needed my poles for. Probably are a lot in Maine but I use them for balance in rocky places.

I use them for my shelter as well.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Make sure you know how to use the straps correctly. I have BD poles and they have very nice straps. On my first trip with them I considered getting rid of rhe straps however I did a test first and hiked one day with them and one day without them. I was surprised to find how much they helped. However you a also hear that there is a correct rhythm to use. I ignore that most of the time and just move the poles at random times not coordinated with steps. The exception is on a steel uphill I will pole with every step.

Strap adjustment and getting your hands into them properly is probably the most important aspect to trekking poles. The straps should allow you to let go of the poles and let your hands hang by the wrist at or near where you would grip the handles. Pole height should be set so your arms are at 90 degrees to your body when you grip them.

Don't worry about rhythm for a while, in fact you can easily overthink pole use and get tangled up when you first start using them. They are the most Zen tool you have, the less you think about them, the more naturally you will use them. Much as Odd Man Out said, I use them on most every step going up steep inclines as a way to keep cadence.

If you stand on a scale and place hold the poles on the floor, you'll likely see your weigh decrease. Put slight pressure on them, weight decreases more. This is probably the best demonstration of how your weight transfers to the poles and to ground. This effect is what helps joints and tendons withstand some of the routine pounding that steep downhills can produce. Research suggests between 20% and 30% of the impacts in hiking are absorbed by these tools. I know they have added at least a decade to my hiking career, if not more.

After taking a break don't walk off leaving them leaning up against a tree. I've seen many people do this that were using poles for the first time. A couple of miles down the trail once or twice will be a good cure though.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

On level or gently sloping terrain, the poles are mostly for balance.

On steep ascents or descents, they're a way to get your upper body into the picture -- either lifting you up the hill, or easing you down as the case may be.

On extreme steeps, you may need to fold up the poles and use your hands. Occasionally you'll find (for example) ladders or rebar, or steps notched into steep rock faces. (Eg., Beaver Creek trail down the north slope of Mt. Moosilauke.)

Or, on extreme steeps, you might just loop the poles around your hands and let them drag. Or if it's a short steep descent -- throw the poles ahead so your hands are free for the gnarly part.

On a recent hike on some pretty nasty terrain (Mahoosucs in southern Maine) I tried a hybrid one-pole approach. This leaves one hand free to deal with the terrain, and one hand with a hiking pole.

Whatever happens, don't be afraid to experiment and give yourself time to learn. For me, poles were a no-brainer, but that might be because I've skied since I was a kid.

All great advice but don't overthink them, adjust them to the length that feels most comfortable and try not to kick them, after a day you'll be an expert.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Put your name address phone number on them, maybe one of those return address tags with clear tape over it.

I started using poles about three years ago. After some back and forth, and reading, and after falling down once with my hand caught in a strap, I took the straps off. Recently bought a new pair and immediately took them off. Phillip Werner did a post on this topic a while back, which is kind of interesting. Obviously a personal choice.

http://sectionhiker.com/reader-poll-...g-pole-straps/

Images

Yes good point,also don't leave them leaning on your truck when driving away after your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    ...On extreme steeps, you may need to fold up the poles and use your hands. Occasionally you'll find (for example) ladders or rebar, or steps notched into steep rock faces. (Eg., Beaver Creek trail down the north slope of Mt. Moosilauke.)...
    I was halfway down the steep scramble from Dragon's Tooth before I realized the poles were hurting more than helping. Note to self....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    I started using poles about three years ago. After some back and forth, and reading, and after falling down once with my hand caught in a strap, I took the straps off. Recently bought a new pair and immediately took them off. Phillip Werner did a post on this topic a while back, which is kind of interesting. Obviously a personal choice.

http://sectionhiker.com/reader-poll-...g-pole-straps/
    Some people never learn to use their equipment properly. The straps are there for a reason. Your hands go up into the straps not down into them. Trekking poles are some of the best pieces of hiking gear you'll carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Some people never learn to use their equipment properly. The straps are there for a reason. Your hands go up into the straps not down into them. Trekking poles are some of the best pieces of hiking gear you'll carry.
    I agree. Using the straps this way should allow the pole to slip off if you fall. I'm a fairly new trekking pole user, and I now find myself missing them if I don't have them.

keep your grip loose and let 'em swing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's kinda like walking, but your arms move too.

We use the heck out of ours - rarely is there a brief spell where they get carried. They just make everything easier and gentler on the body. I especially appreciate them on descents where they really give me a feeling of having 4 legs and make me feel both very secure and reduce the stress on my sensitive knees. We also use them to pitch our tent. Last weekend we forgot the poles at the house, which made things interesting. It was manageable but more strain on the legs slowed us down. Had to find a couple trees the right distance apart to pitch the tent using paracord tied to the trees rather than poles, which worked out just fine but took a while to locate. I was tempted to cut off the straps at first but then learned the correct way of using them at which point they also became something I really appreciate as a distinct benefit, rather than finding useless. I carry a fair amount of weight though - often around 50 pounds with food and water - and wear very minimalist shoes, so they probably benefit me more than average.

Images

About a year ago I switched to putting my hands down through the straps. On the 100 MW I fell forward and the strap tightened around my wrist keeping the pole upright so I could regain my balance. If my hand would have came off the grip, I am sure I would have fallen. I would recommend you experiment with what works best for you and HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    keep your grip loose and let 'em swing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1. That's how I like them.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Well, on day one I stumbled around like a drunk sailor.
    On day two I spent most of the day staring down watching were the poles touched down. Day three and four things are much smoother, I have the straps adjusted much better, not focused solely on the poles has helped.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Trekking poles are awesome!!!
    -They make it easier getting up hills
    -They make it easier getting down hills
    -They give you balance and extra legs while stone stepping across streams
    -They give you support with those gnarly steep steps that are often also muddy
    -They give you assistance in maneuvering blowdowns
    -They are useful in moving prickly vines and sticky spider webs
    -They keep your hand from swelling
    -They prevent you from slipping too far on the mud
    -They catch you from spraining your ankle on little dips and holes
    -They make great tent poles
    -Using the stickPic with trekking poles you can take awesome selfies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++