WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default No cook dinner ideas

Hi all,

Hoping to get some new ideas for an occasional no cook dinner. I plan to carry a stove, but know that every now and then I may pull up at a campsite with no interest in cooking dinner (e.g., it is late and raining like crazy). Anyone have any favorite go-tos in these types of situations... something very quick and easy, but better than just eating a bar or related item?

Thanks all!
    Rodney

Images

i usually pack a sandwich for lunch..................

Images

I never cook on the trail, for what you are describing, I got with some summer sausage, cheese, hot sauce on a tortilla wrap... or one of the tuna pouch things with some mayo on a wrap. Hard to go wrong with a pb&j, pb&honey, or just a ton of peanut butter! If it's cold enough (fall/winter)... I'll take hummus out with me, which always goes well with some summer sausage on a wrap.

Most people stick their noses up at it, but those spam singles are pretty dang tasty. Don't knock the spam until ya try the spam
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Apple & cheese makes a good no-cook meal, and sometimes I have a pack a MRE for a lazy meal.

I dehydrate a hummus variation, and that only requires cold water to rehydrate at camp.

I'll second tortilla wraps. Use them for just about anything.

Garlic
    Images

More to the point of the OP, some dinner items that are normally cooked but can be eaten cold are instant mashed potatoes, ramen, and couscous. Rolled oats are parboiled in processing and don't have to be cooked, either. They can be soaked in water with or without powdered milk for a few minutes. Though not normally eaten for dinner, they certainly can be.

Packing a few meals like that is also a good idea if you your stove breaks or you run out of fuel.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++