WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Reading material on the trail

I did a quick search for previous threads on this topic but couldn't find anything relevant.

I am someone that likes to read a lot while backpacking, for example while eating lunch or while hanging out in camp in the evening. I am trying to figure out how best to incorporate this aspect into a through hike. I'm curious to hear the perspectives of others- specifically, how do you read while hiking the entire AT? Do people carry physical books (I imagine that this is often cumbersome, and it is difficult to plan when and how to get new books)? Has anyone carried a Kindle or Nook (or something similar), and if so, was it worth it? Or do most people find that they are simply too tired at the end of the day to devote much time to reading?

And lastly, are there any good book series that might take up the entire trail, or significant chunks of it? I recently read Master and Commander (the first of the Aubrey-Maturin series) and really liked it. As there are ~20 books in that series, I was considering saving the rest for a through hike. Does anyone have any other suggestions for lengthy book series worth of a through-hike?

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
    And lastly, are there any good book series that might take up the entire trail, or significant chunks of it? I recently read Master and Commander (the first of the Aubrey-Maturin series) and really liked it. As there are ~20 books in that series, I was considering saving the rest for a through hike. Does anyone have any other suggestions for lengthy book series worth of a through-hike?

Thanks!
    They cannot match Patrick OBrian, but Alexander Kent and Dudley Popes' age of sail series are fun too.

If you have not found it already, check out the archives for fans of the Aubrey-Maturin series here:

http://hmssurprise.org

It is simply amazing how accurate the author was with his details, and just how much those details are appreciated by those on the list. It boggles the mind.

Garlic
    Images

The Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell are pretty good, and are contemporary to the O'Brien work. And don't miss the Horatio Hornblower series.

I'm an avid reader off-trail, but don't read on thru-hikes. I can't carry the weight--200 pages a day is pretty normal. (And due to misguided principles, I carry no electronics (other than an LED headlamp), batteries, or chargers while hiking.) I switch to puzzles on the trail. I can print four extreme Sudoku puzzles on one piece of paper and that can keep me busy for three or four days. I can carry two Saturday NYT crossword puzzles on one page, and sometimes I can't even finish those after days of trying. I can work those in my head while hiking, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have books on my iphone. If I run out I can download a new one from my library or Amazon. I thought I would hate reading on the phone but I have no problem and I don't need a flashlight to read and I like that a lot.
    My first time on the AT I thought I would be too busy/tired to read so I didn't have a book and no iphone then, when I got to Neel Gap I found a book by the laundry. It was the worst book ever but I was happy to have it to read.

+1 on the Iphone. I also thought the small screen would be a problem but it isn't at all. It's also a great help when my wife drags me to Nordstroms, etc. I just plod along behind her but because I'm reading I don't feel my time was wasted. Oh, and Emmy - if you're reading this, no time with you is ever wasted!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Nook Glowlight...Weighs 6 oz, holds thousands of books, last for around 8 weeks per charge. I have not through hiked the AT yet, but I have hiked alot of the Florida Trail and elsewhere. There is nothing like reading in my hammock after a long hard day. I keep my books, along with reference books, and newspapers on my Glowlight. And when you get to a wifi signal, you can get current newspapers for news (if you are into that).

This is a lot like asking which vibrator to bring on a hike

I haven't done so but it seems to me that something like a Kindle "paper-white" device makes sense for folks who like to read.

Seems to me a lot of thru hikers and long-distance hikers are carrying smart phones these days, often with auxiliary power packs good for a few recharge cycles. Most of these have sufficient display resolution to double as readers. Not to mention -- they can store maps, guides, and other useful info as well.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

im a huge reader. always have a book with me, regardless of where I am. I take a book to work even and read during lunch and breaks sometimes. i always have a hardcopy book on the trail. i read at night mostly, but sometimes while taking a break as well, especially if its a nice sunny overlook where I have stopped for a rest and water. I read only non-fiction and always have several books going at once. i average upwards of 50 books read a year.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

I listened to audiobooks at times on my iPhone, I didn't care to spend time reading.

I migrated to a small smart phone I got for $19.95 and use like a tablet. Down load the Kindle app and your choice of 1000's of free books.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I always carry a book when backpacking. In my early days on the AT, I spent more time talking with other hikers than reading, but as time went on and the days got longer, I enjoyed reading for a bit late in the day. Finding books in towns was always hit or miss. Some hostels had books to trade, some groceries carry the latest best sellers. Sometimes another hiker will finish a book and leave it in a shelter. Mostly they seemed to leave half a book :-( I put books in resupply boxes or drift boxes sometimes.

Lord of the Rings was a good trail series. I usually don't like to read anything too heavy on the trail. Books are purely escapism for me and a break from the guidebooks I usually carry. You need something dense enough to last a week or so, but not so dense you won't read it.

Since many have switched over to ebooks, finding a good paperback in a shelter to read while waiting out a rainy day is becoming scarce. I really got into one book I found, only to discover the last 2 chapters missing. No point in reading any farther. So please, if your going to use a book for starting fires or TP, use the first chapter or two. Those we can do without, but we really need to know how the story ends!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Stephen King Dark Tower series...8 books...4250 pages...it's also about a group "hiking"...perhaps you will find you own ka-tet

Long Days and Pleasant Nights

I didn't carry my Kindle on my thru-hike but often wished I did. It is lighter than a paperback book & holds gobs of books. Being frugal, I almost never 'buy' a Kindle book. I have a library card from the local library. I can download up to 3 e-books from my library to my Kindle at a time. I'd download them & then immediately put the Kindle back in airplane mode. Those three books would stay in the Kindle well beyond the normal 21-day check-out cycle. When I finish those books, I log onto my city's library website & check out 3 more. I turn off the airplane mode. The old books 'disappear' & the new ones are downloaded. I turn the airplane mode again. Repeat as needed. Easy peasy.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

If you read sci-fi, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber has more than 15 books, and has some elements of Master and Commander - sea/space voyages, shipboard life, geopolitics.

If you like fantasy, there are all sorts of choices.. The Wheel of Time series might fit the bill.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Images

Also along the Honor Harrington line, but a few decades earlier, is A. Bertram Chandler's John Grimes series. Chandler was a Merchant Marine ship caaptain, and wrote the stories during long voyages and watches. It's very obvious from his writing that he knows ships.

I seek reading/learning material that connects me with the history and Nature of the trail I'm thru-hiking...wild flower, plant/tree identification small traveling books w/ glossy pics, geology, weather patterns, cultures of the people in the area(learning Native American ways appeals to me), reptiles, dangerous creatures, birds, cloud identification, mines, peaks, etc. If I'm in the southwest I'll read Edward Abbey. On the AT A Walk in the Woods. Through GSMNP a book on amphibians and another on the history of the park and problems facing the trees. I've brushed up on my Spanish an German on audiobooks. I'll occasionally take few of the hardest sudokus, word jumbles or NYT/LAT Sunday crosswords.

What breaks it all up is that I'm daily studying maps, trail description guidebooks, practicing compass/map navigation, side hikes, alternates, off trail/other on/near trail attractions, etc.

What I'm reading and IF I'm reading also depends on the trail. For something like an AT thru-hike where I can turn my mind off and just focus on walking following the hiker superhighway beaten down obvious well maintained path with 1000's of regularly spaced white blazes and umpteen signage I might read more.

IMO, books and finding something adequate to read doesn't have to be difficult or cumbersome. An Ipod or 5 oz tablet is all it takes. Some common sense is all it takes in opting for physical books that are compact and lighter wt w/ perhaps larger print is easily possible especially on the AT.

Images

I used to carry books, but now carry a Kindle. Put it in airplane mode and the battery will last a long time. You can carry a virtual library in one.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

I too am a voracious reader. The kindle paper white has been one to f the best things I've ever invested in.
    Watch for perrymk's here. he posts free books regularly as he finds them. I follow a free kindle book site and download more than I can stay up with.
    I do keep a cheap paperback just in case in my pack but the kindle has satisfied my addiction 100%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++