WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Mail Drops

Following is a picture of a possible resupply plan. The basis of this was a post I found on wanderingthewild.com. I liked the philosophy of keeping as close to the trail as possible. You'll see out of about 35 stops, 20 are mail drops and the balance are local resupply. Most points are under one mile from the trail. The yellow highlight is no longer viable (but my son lives in Maryland). Others have been verified as viable through awol guide.

If interested I have this in a spreadsheet with mailing addresses. You can calculate your own days between towns based on your pace, etc. I'm happy to send anyone the spreadsheet.

Resupply 1.JPG

Really appreciate the information Rob and Ken have provided. Comparing lists will help tailor our needs for our trip.

Journal Entries

Rob - thanks! I'll be going northbound from Harper's Ferry first. Great resources - I really appreciate it.

The reopened Caratunk House in Maine will take pkg and has a good resupply store. 150 yards from trail. Send to POBox 98 or 218 Main st Caratunk Maine 04925

This looks like it took a lot of time and work to do, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kenl View Post
    Following is a picture of a possible resupply plan. The basis of this was a post I found on wanderingthewild.com. I liked the philosophy of keeping as close to the trail as possible. You'll see out of about 35 stops, 20 are mail drops and the balance are local resupply. Most points are under one mile from the trail. The yellow highlight is no longer viable (but my son lives in Maryland). Others have been verified as viable through awol guide.

If interested I have this in a spreadsheet with mailing addresses. You can calculate your own days between towns based on your pace, etc. I'm happy to send anyone the spreadsheet.

Resupply 1.JPG
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    This looks like it took a lot of time and work to do, thank you for sharing.
    That listing was a good listing when it was up to date. There are a couple places in that listing that are now closed. If your going to use that listing make sure the places are open before you depend on it.

I created this listing that is up to date http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content....or-a-thru-hike
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

If you're using mail drops don't forget to use the AT Mailing Labels page. I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date. If you'd like a location added let me know.

http://www.soruck.net/at

Quote Originally Posted by kenl View Post

Resupply 1.JPG
    Kenl

I'd like a copy of this spread sheet please. So far I see drops I've tentatively planned already, I feel as though I'm on the right track. Thank you.

Images

Backcountry Outfitters in Kent, CT. Open 7 days/week, sells stamps & has free Priority Mail boxes. Village Post Office too.

people often talk about the cost to mail packages but if you choose ground instead of priority mail (yes, it takes longer) the cost is really short, especially if those packages are primarily your own dehydrated/freezedried foods. And if you ship via "ground" you can even ship yourself canister fuel. No idea what fuel costs on trail but I know locally I can get the smaller canisters for $4 and the larger ones for $5.50. When I was in BB recently the large canisters were $7. And as someone else stated, if you don't want to mess around with having to shuttle/walk through towns to resupply, it's much easier if you can just pick up all you need in one place.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++