WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Fontana to Davenport in November

I am planning Fontana to Davenport 2nd week of November. Knowing the weather /temps vary this time of year, any advice on expectations of the extremes? My wife and two adult sons may meet me at Newfound Gap for the rest of the trek. This will be my wife's first overnight experience on the AT. Thanks in advance for your input!

Knowing the weather /temps vary this time of year, any advice on expectations of the extremes?
    It can vary, snow is possible this time of year, but by looking at archived webcam photos by day to day dates, looks like minimal snow, dry and grey. Population and bear activity will be down, bugs gone and critters holed up. As a rule, I don't get up in the Smokey's during possible snow times for safety reasons. I don't like making the news.

GSMNP webcam archives

My wife and two adult sons may meet me at Newfound Gap for the rest of the trek.
    I would have them bring you a resupply if they decide to join you, this time of year you might want a day half way thru to dry out a bit down in gburge.

This will be my wife's first overnight experience on the AT.

Northern smokes is a great first trip. about 3 impressive climbs, and Mt Cammerererererrr, and Charlie's bunion.

Don't forget your permit for staying the shelters, and a heads up to bring earplugs. As well, if you are the snorer, please ... give everyone else a heads-up that you will be noisy lol
    Last edited by Farr Away; 09-17-2015 at 12:09.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Published climate data indicates that in November, the average daily hi/lo for Gatlinburg is 61º/33º and Clingmans Dome is 42º/28º.
    Based on personal experience, it is common for actual temperatures to be +/-15º from these averages. Only rare events would cause temperatures be more extreme.

Now the bulk of your hike will be around 5,000', slightly lower than Clingmans Dome. My estimate is that the average at 5,000' is 45º/29º. Adding 15º to the hi and subtracting 15º from the lo means that you can expect temperatures anywhere between 60º and 16º.

The history of the weather cam's shows that it is unlikely (but not impossible) for there to be snow that time of year.

Please don't plan to tent (or hanging a hammock) at the shelters. The rules of GSMNP only allows tenting by those with an AT thru permit WHEN THE SHELTER IS FULL.
    Your itinerary does not qualify you for an AT thru permit, and the shelters are unlikely to be full in November. The rules also treat hammocks just like a tent, therefore hanging at the shelters only permitted under the same circumstances that allows tenting.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

Please don't plan to tent (or hanging a hammock) at the shelters. The rules of GSMNP only allows tenting by those with an AT thru permit WHEN THE SHELTER IS FULL.
    Your itinerary does not qualify you for an AT thru permit, and the shelters are unlikely to be full in November. The rules also treat hammocks just like a tent, therefore hanging at the shelters only permitted under the same circumstances that allows tenting.

I should not have suggested tenting as it is breaking the rules. My experience thru the smokies was that of a section hiker, and a non rule breaker, so I got 3 very sleepless nights in the shelters. If and when I do them again I will just bring earplugs.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I should not have suggested tenting as it is breaking the rules...
    On the other hand, you should carry a tent as a matter of safety. If you are unable to make it to the next shelter due to injury, illness, weather, etc, that tent will be very necessary.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    On the other hand, you should carry a tent as a matter of safety. If you are unable to make it to the next shelter due to injury, illness, weather, etc, that tent will be very necessary.
    Or at least a tarp with some knowledge on how to set it up to protect you from the weather.

Images

heads up as well-----if it does snow, newfound gap road will more than likely close..........

so, if you are relying on a food drop and it snows..............well..................

Journal Entries

Great advice from everyone! Greatly appreciated. I have been on the AT three times this year and have now covered Springer to Fontana. I am considering getting another section in before year's end. I was on Trey Mtn in March when it got down to 9 degrees. That was my limit! I may go ahead and reserve the shelters 30 days in advance and keep a watchful eye out before departing.... if the weather forecast looks threatening I will re-try in the Spring.

Images

be flexible and try to get weather forecast when you get to NFG. there are no quick routes down to the tn side til maddron bald trail. quite a distance. leConte couldbe worse than the A T

Images

The northern half of the Smokies is in interesting choice for your family's first AT overnight. I don't mean that in a bad way. On the one hand, it's beautiful -- you'll get great views with all the leaves gone from the trees; and they'll be starting at the top so no really bad climbs, though there is a long hard descent at the end. Did I mention it'll be beautiful?

But: it'll be cold, possibly very cold. And very windy. If she's not used to it, and/or doesn't have the right sleeping bag and clothing, this is a recipe for disaster. You're also committed -- there are not a lot of side trails where you can get off the AT easily and quickly, nor any road crossings. She'll have to sleep on a cold hard shelter floor for presumably the first time. As beautiful as the park is, I usually recommend people hike elsewhere for their first AT experience.

If she's done a lot of cold weather overnight backpacking, and this is simply her first AT hike, then it's a great start. If it'll be her first really cold backpacking trip, then I don't know.

Good luck. I've done both my Smokies sections in November and it was great. Cold at night, chilly and very windy during the day, amazing drop dead gorgeous views. Empty shelters, or mostly so.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

The northern half of the Smokies is in interesting choice for your family's first AT overnight.

i didnt want to say it, but it needed to be said..............

Journal Entries

I agree with all the comments regarding safety! That is why I floated the post in the first place. I wanted the experts' advice and that is exactly what I am getting. I wish I could go now, but heading to New York and Vermont next week and then back for a 4 week teaching assignment in Kentucky. Just to clear one thing, the boys 27 and 25 have spent quite a few days on the AT and in the Daniel Boone National Forest. However, my wife is a tough cookie, but I do not want to risk her health and the appreciation of the AT in November. I will most likely invite her on a section north of the park. Thanks again!

I did an overnight up to Gregory Bald and #13 last Thanksgiving. It was high 20's and just starting to snow at Cades Cove at 10am. That night, my thermometer hit a low of 9 with a pretty good wind blowing all night

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheSaint View Post
    I did an overnight up to Gregory Bald and #13 last Thanksgiving. It was high 20's and just starting to snow at Cades Cove at 10am. That night, my thermometer hit a low of 9 with a pretty good wind blowing all night
    Single digit lows at that elevation at that time of year is an extreme event... not typical weather.
    Windy at campsite #13, that's just typical for that campsite. It's always windy there.

Images

Done ALOT of deep winter hikes in the GSMNP and Roans as well. I 100% agree with Gambit on his post! I have been in some very horrendous conditions on the northern end in mid to late November and then also some great conditions. I never had any issues at any of the shelters (mainly because I hiked during the week and not on holidays) and at times had a shelter to myself. Tri-Corner and the areas around Guyot seem to get hit the hardest when the bad weather rolls in IMO. Been in white out and knee deep snow there a couple of times along with temps well below zero! But I love that type experience! But also years of being involved in SAR and Wilderness Rescue have taught me how to be able to work through and handle those type conditions and as Gambit stated, Not be in the media spotlight! Just make sure you have the right gear and also some extras in case you become stranded or injured (10 essential survival items). Go for it, soak up the beauty of it all, be careful and share your experience with us all when you return!

Journal Entries

Looks like I will be working the week I was thinking about the trek through in November. Any comments when you would consider it to be safe, weather wise, in the Spring?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    Looks like I will be working the week I was thinking about the trek through in November. Any comments when you would consider it to be safe, weather wise, in the Spring?
    If you are prepared for the conditions, any time of year can be safe.

However, since you're looking to make this your wife's 1st over-night trip, I would suggest that you wait until expected temperatures stay above freezing. For upper elevations, that would be about April. That would also be the time the woods begins to awaken from its winter slumber.

That said, normal temperature variations allows for freezing conditions at the highest GSMNP elevations from September to May (and last year, LeConte had a 4th of July record low temperature of something like 38º).

Images

May in the Smokies is beautiful. Or anywhere in the Southern Appalachians.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

If you are prepared for the conditions, any time of year can be safe

agreed................and while i dont do the trips like Tipi---for the last few years, ive been out in all the seasons here in the southeast............some trips are fairly warm, some trips are fairly cold.....

that being said, taking your wife on her first trip----i would suggest may or june or something warmish like that.......

Journal Entries

Thanks TNhiker! My son comes home from his second deployment late April early May. Thinking about waiting for his return so the 3 of us can complete the section together! I am Ashville today and the view towards GSMNP looks sunny and snow free.... I know this can change in a snap, but it would be great to be out on the AT to enjoy the warmer temps we are experiencing. Thanks to El Nino!

++ New Posts ++