WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default British Backpacker Needs AT Advice!

Hi All,

I'm planning on taking on the first 200 miles of the AT at the very end of October from Springer Mt to Cherokee NC. I'm looking at taking 26 days to get from Springer to Newfound Gap (see my planned itinerary in the image). There are many of you on this site who have far superior knowledge of the AT, and I'd be exceptionally grateful if you could let me know if there are any issues you see with my plan, or anything I may not have considered. I'm a fairly experienced hiker and wild camper, fit, and more than used to hiking in the cold and wet (I live in the UK remember!).

Also, if anyone believes that a Southbound version of this route would be a better idea please let me know.

There are a few points I'm already aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong) -

1 - I know that when it comes to hiking even the best laid plans can completely change. I've added two 'buffer' days at the end of my trip for any unplanned changes, though as I have to arrange flights obviously I need to have a rough plan. I've kept the mileage quite low to allow more flexibility.

2 - I know that it's hunting season, and a blaze orange pack cover is on it's way to me as I type!

3 - I know that I must obtain a Backcountry Permit for the GSM National Park, as well as stay in shelters that must be reserved.

4 - I should expect some rain, snow and temperatures to dip below freezing (which i am prepared for), however I shouldn't need any special equipment - snow shoes etc.

5 - I'm planning on resupplying locally all the way. I'm not a fussy eater, and logistically, mailing myself boxes is more difficult as I'm based abroad.

I'm sure there are more things that I've forgotten! Any suggestions, tips, all very much appreciated.

AT Schedule.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

-

only challenge for resupply will be fontana as the store will be closed - load up at NOC or use the hike inn: http://www.thehikeinn.com/room.htm

snow is unlikely to be an issue - rain near freezing will be the challenge, but shelters are very available and will be mostly unused so some drying is possible

you will qualify for the 20$ distance hiker pass for the smokies - so you have the most versatility

very likely you will have ideal weather and exceed your milage plans - have contacts(potential shuttles)/ rough plans to exit at fontana, cherokee, standing bear, and hot springs

not worth it to hitch and miss an international flight, again have shuttle contact info available (may want to call/check as this is off season)

Something I noticed. Your daily mileage is really low. To each their own, but I would recommend doing 10-15 a day, especially with that many planned zeros. I wouldn't even plan zero's. Just plan resupplies and when your body tells you it needs a zero, take one.

Also, why stop in the middle of smokies? Save the need for 2 permits by going completely through it. Possibly just getting to Hot Springs- 275 miles. You walk right into town. Last year on my thru, From Approach trail to Hot Springs I took 3 zero's. It was for family not for rest btw. I made it to Hot Springs on Day 27 averaging like 13 miles a day not including zeros. Average was like 11 with zeros. I took my time to build up. In that time I had 2 guys in my group bail. One was because pack was too heavy and he killed his knees. The other had ill fitting shoes and had to leave due to feet. Both of these are easily avoidable.

My resupplies were Neel's Gap, Winding Stair Gap-Franklin NC, Fontana Dam-expensive, and Standing Bear- not sure it will be open at that time.

My zero's were Dick's creek gap, Bryson City via NOC, and Gatlinburg- Due to snow and road closure at Newfound gap.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Journal Entries

Theoretically, since you plan to end your hike at Newfound Gap, you won't qualify for the $20 thru-hiker permit, so the expectation of the Park is that you would stick to the itinerary of the specific shelters you have reserved. The reality is that it probably wouldn't be an issue. However, if this is just the first trip, and you intend to follow it up with another, I'd suggest to complete the Smokies if possible, so that the potential future issues are eliminated. Possibly start north of the Smokies and hike SOBO until you run out of time, then head to the airport. When you return for trip 2, start at Springer and skip what you did in trip 1. Or simply add enough time to your trip to ensure you can complete the Smokies. It is only about 30 miles from NFG to the north end of the Park, and mostly ridgeline walking until the final descent.

An advantage of going SOBO is that it gets the highest elevations over with while the likelihood of difficult weather is reduced.

Section Hiker

You can get easy resupply shuttles by using the Top of GA Hostel at Dick's Creek Gap and The Hike Inn Fontana. Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap has some decent resupply as well. There are others but I've been to these places and recommend. Top of GA is 1/2 mile walk from the trail, The Hike Inn shuttles a huge area of trail in NC/TN but will pick you up at Fontana--they are just down the road from there; and they can run you into Robbinsville to the grocery store and to grab dinner.

I HIGHLY recommend Bryson City if you can get there easily from NOC (NOC is fine too but not much for resupply; the RIver's End restaurant there is very good). I stayed at Rosewood Inn in Bryson City which was cheap and clean. DEFINITELY east at Pasqualino's Italian which is in walking distance from the hotel, and if you like tirimisu it's the best I've ever had.

I'll bein GSMNP in late October going NOBO, if you go SOBO maybe I'll see you. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

The walking down south is very easy (with the exception of a few spots), you should be able to make 10 to 15 mile days quite readily and once you get your trail legs I expect you will be doing more miles a day.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The walking down south is very easy (with the exception of a few spots), you should be able to make 10 to 15 mile days quite readily and once you get your trail legs I expect you will be doing more miles a day.
    Very easy? Hmmm, not so sure about that. It ain't nearly so hard as the trail in NH and ME, and we do make our trails out of dirt instead of big boulders, but they're still challenging to most people. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    You can get easy resupply shuttles by using the Top of GA Hostel at Dick's Creek Gap and The Hike Inn Fontana. Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap has some decent resupply as well. There are others but I've been to these places and recommend. Top of GA is 1/2 mile walk from the trail, The Hike Inn shuttles a huge area of trail in NC/TN but will pick you up at Fontana--they are just down the road from there; and they can run you into Robbinsville to the grocery store and to grab dinner.

I HIGHLY recommend Bryson City if you can get there easily from NOC (NOC is fine too but not much for resupply; the RIver's End restaurant there is very good). I stayed at Rosewood Inn in Bryson City which was cheap and clean. DEFINITELY east at Pasqualino's Italian which is in walking distance from the hotel, and if you like tirimisu it's the best I've ever had.

I'll bein GSMNP in late October going NOBO, if you go SOBO maybe I'll see you. Have a great hike!
    Top of Georgia wanted way too much money for a shuttle last year. I think they quoted us 40$. Just hitch a ride instead. That place it only about making money it seems. My friends that stayed there felt the same way. It is nice. They just try too hard to make the sale.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Cool

Hiking SOBO...
    You must start your hike at least 50 miles from the National Park boundary to qualify as a thru hiker. Hot Springs, NC qualifies in that regard. Getting to Hot Springs from an international or medium sized regional airport (like Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC) may be an entirely different can of worms. You might have the best luck getting to Hot Springs from either the Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN airports. Talk to the shuttle providers listed here at WhiteBlaze. Asheville or Knoxville might also be your best exit airports if you hike NOBO.

"4 - I should expect some rain, snow and temperatures to dip below freezing (which i am prepared for), however I shouldn't need any special equipment - snow shoes etc."
    That section of the AT passes through the North Carolina rain forest. Coming from the UK, you'll feel right at home.
    Or not. It may not rain all the time.

Good luck & have a great hike!

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

When you stop in Hiawassee you can go online and get your smokies permit. Even if you are only going to Newfound gap, they dont have to know that. The rangers dont care about exact days, just the fact you have the permit.

Images

How flexible can you be about your ending location? I expect if you are an experienced and fit wild walker, you'll end up making better miles than planned fairly quickly. Depending on where your return flight is leaving, you can get to Asheville, NC, from many places along the trail between Newfound Gap and Erwin, or even further north. Asheville is worth a visit anyway, and from there you can get to Atlanta or wherever.

Get the thru-hiker's permit right before you leave - pay the $20, print it out, and carry it with you. You'll need to have a physical copy. This way you can stay at any shelter without a reservation.

No need for snow shoes. Expect lows around freezing, maybe lower especially at higher elevations. Early November is one of my favorite times to be on the trail - no bugs, few people, great views, cool days perfect for hiking, chilly nights. As noted above, the worst thing you might get is freezing rain.

Resupply is fairly easy along the route. People who live in the area know about hikers, and hitching a ride on the major road crossings is easy and quick. I've never had any serious issues, though I've met some, er, interesting people. You can hitch into a town, hit a real grocery store, spend the night if you want at a chain motel, and hitch back the next morning. As for the Fontana area, I do recommend staying at the Hike Inn. Jeff and Nancy can run you into town to the grocery store, and they're very cool people to meet.

Northbound is fine, and gives you more options to go further if you like.

Have a great time, hope you enjoy it. Post a followup when you get home.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Speaking as someone who was rather surprised by how short the days become on the trail in the fall, I would highly recommend extra batteries for your headlamp and a good book or two.

And a watch that lights up in the dark. God help you if you don't have some way to tell time when you wake up at 3 AM ready to go :-).

The good news is that I think you will get more daylight than had you stayed in London.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/atlanta

Journal Entries

Good luck Jammer!
    As a fellow Brit who has hiked all through that area, I can tell you that you've picked a great section of the trail though I agree with the others that you will most likely end up hiking more miles than that. For that reason, I would recommend hiking north. Asheville is a great city, definitely worth the stop, good tea is hard to find stateside so maybe bring that with you!
    All the best and enjoy your hike!

Images

Done this route a few years ago. My 2 pence would be to stretch a few miles after the first few days, even with a shortened day light span you ought to be able to add a mile or so. I personally don't think Neels Gap is worth a zero. By the time I reached there I had formed a trail family and the 4 of us arrived mid afternoon. We went down to Blood Mountain Cabins and had a fun evening and a great meal made up from the contents of our food bags. We took , I guess, a nero. I think if you stretch a little more after Winding Stair Gap, you'll want to reward yourself with a zero at NOC. It's a good social, friendly place with a variety of interests. Also, the climb out of NOC is one I preferred to do at the start of a new day. Bunk house and cabins at NOC.
    Cheers
    Jim
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Thanks all for your advice.

I'm so glad to read that many of you think my daily mileage is too short! I routinely hike a lot further, in fact I run further than that most days! Also my pack usually comes in at the lower 20-25lb area, which helps. It's just difficult when you read so many conflicting stories online of some people only managing a few miles a day and others managing three times as much. I certainly don't want to be one of those guys who thinks it's easy and he'll do thirty miles a day without rest and then ends up quitting after three days! It's that balance of respect for the trail and pushing yourself..

Anyway, I've now made a plan/schedule that will finish in Hot Springs, and a couple of finishing options between there and my original plan of Newfound Gap. I'm still keeping the zero days - whilst this will be my sixth visit to the US, I still enjoy taking a little time in small towns (who am I kidding.. I'll be eating my own weight in burgers). If things change that's fine.. I've been lucky enough to travel in around 35 countries, and if there's one thing I've learned it's that flexibility is very useful. Be flexible, chill out, and usually everything will be just fine!

Glad to hear that I've picked a good section and the views will be good! I can't wait.. Sadly I can't actually book my flight yet as a family member is awaiting hospital news - if everything goes well then I shall be booking my flight next Tuesday, for the 28th October!

No doubt I will be posting many more questions in the coming weeks.. And again, thanks all for your help so far.

++ New Posts ++