WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite backpack

Please list your favorite overnight/hiking backpack with a reason why you like it best.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like/own the REI Flash 62 because it has the capacity of larger packs, but still light weight. There just isn't many (or any other) 3lb packs designed to carry the amount of gear this one carries (60L+ 35-45lbs of gear). Most packs that size are 4lb to 5lb.

Images

ULA Circuit light and easy sold all my other ones after using it. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Elemental Horizons Kalais

Fits like a glove, Lg size is under 2 lbs, yet still holds 53 L and carries 35 lbs (according to specs). Comparable to the better know ULA packs, but lighter weight. Great hip belt and frame to transfer weight (essentially no weight on shoulders).

This won't help, but my favorite backpack is...
    ...both of them! For different jobs.

The Original Jensen pack. 3,105 cubic inch. 2 1/2 pounds. Frame less. Bombproof. Load carrying goodness.
    The Original Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Aluminum/carbon fiber internal frame. Best exterior pockets ever. Several pounds of bombproof load hauling perfection.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Osprey Exos 46. Comfortable, lightweight, and cool (literally).

I have a ULA Epic. I like that the bag is a real waterproof, not just water resistant, bag. I also like that I can change the bag for different trips. I have a 65L and 35L bag. If I ever somehow managed to punch a hole in the bag, I can just replace it for $50 or less, but the rest of the pack goes on to live another day. Holds up to 40 pounds.

ULA catalyst: Pros-very roomy, light, well made, made in USA, comfortable, eventually feels like second skin. Con: Side pockets are great at holding platypus bags, but can be a little hard to pull them out. I use the front elastic straps to strap down a 20 oz gatorade bottle to drink while I am hiking. I fill that from the platy's I keep in the side pockets.
    YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH ULA.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Depends on how long the trip. Longer trips my ULA Circuit the most comfortable pack with a hip belt I have ever pit on. Overnight stuff my Jansport 32L super comfortable.

Another Elemental Horizons fan here. I own, use and love my Kalais. I love the fit and the hip belt/ stay system. Transfers weight better than any other I have used and is very comfortable for me. I also like the compression system as this makes the pack versatile enough to use on overnighters or longer trips.

That's a lot of positives in a sub 2 lb. pack.

I love my Snugpak RocketPak. It can go from a 2400 cubic inch pack to a 4200 cubic inch pack by adding on the side pockets. It has 2 built-in camo rain covers, side mesh pockets, an internal pocket for a water reservoir, has 2 lid pockets and has bungee cord on the front to strap clothing. The internal metal T-frame can be easily taken out to reduce weight for day hikes or overnight hikes if you pack light.

I have been backpacking UL since I got my Hammock Gear Burrow 20 sleeping quilt, and, Cascade Designs XTherm that keeps down pack volume. Now, my favorite pack is HMG Black Summit. It is cuben laminate and roll-top waterproof.

Before that, I found a 40-liter backpack was sufficient for LW backpacking. My favorite, then, is my Timbuk2 Especial Tres 2014 built-tough to withstand brushcrashing or whatever. It is not the most LW backpack, however it is roll-top waterproof.

Before much longer, I will add a LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover to keep rain water off the gap between my back and the backoack and keep rain water off the shoulder straps.
    Last edited by Connie; 09-03-2015 at 06:49. Reason: spelling

Old army pack...ouch.
    I need a new pack.

I was never even in the army.

My two favorite packs
    1. The Elemental Horizon Kalais, I have a size large. Perfect pack for lighter loads. I use it for short summer and warmer weather trips. It is probably the most comfortable pack I have used for loads around to around 20 pounds and I have used quite a few.
    2. When I need more space like in winter or need to carry more than 3 days worth of food my other favourite pack is the Seek Outside unaweep (http://store.seekoutside.com/pack-sy...ilder-unaweep/). Very comfortable and outstanding load transfer.

Images

HMG Windrider 3400. But it is beginning to seem too large for me now that I've really refined my gear. I may downsize to the 2400 when the funds allow.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

ULA Circuit for an all-around pack. We've owned three of them. Mine finally wore out, so I replaced it with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which I also like, but I haven't used it enough to be my "favorite" yet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Mountain Hardwear Dirrettsima 46, once i started using this one all my other ones stay in the closet.

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    This won't help, but my favorite backpack is...
    ...both of them! For different jobs.

The Original Jensen pack. 3,105 cubic inch. 2 1/2 pounds. Frame less. Bombproof. Load carrying goodness.
    The Original Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Aluminum/carbon fiber internal frame. Best exterior pockets ever. Several pounds of bombproof load hauling perfection.

Wayne
    I was checking out the Giant Jensen. Corduroy and leather with metal steel buckles at 2 lbs 7 ounces. Looks like it would last a lifetime. How does it work for you in wet conditions, and how is their rain cover? I have an old Jansport with a leather bottom on it that I have been using for over 20 years, on fly-out trips in the Alaskan bush. It has been thrown in the back of more planes, and baggage carousels than I can count. Can't destroy the thing, but I and not covering a lot of miles with it. I am gonna start out with an Osprey for my thru hike plans but I think that would be a great pack for other outdoor pursuits.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

My favorite pack is my ULA Circuit. However I am trying an Atmos 65. We shall see if the Osprey will take the top spot or not!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I kind of like my Granite Gear Crown VC 60.

But that's on my back. Your back is no doubt different. The key attributes are "fits all your stuff" and "carries OK." For some, that's some little Cuben Fiber thing that looks like a cross between a plastic grocery bag and a day pack for a kindergartener. For others, nothing less than a big, heavy Gregory, with its cushy suspension, will serve.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++