WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Can the Appalachian Trail Survive 'A Walk in the Woods?' - Outside Magazine

Outside Magazine

Can the Appalachian Trail Survive 'A Walk in the Woods?'
    Outside Magazine
    A through-hiker celebrates on the top of a sign marking the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at the summit of Mt. Katahdin. Baxter officials say thru-hikers are openly using drugs and drinking alcohol, camping where they aren't supposed to ...
    From Georgia to Maine, Appalachian Trail partying raises ireBoston Globe
    Appalachian Trail runner wants trial if Baxter park complaints not settledBangor Daily News
    Appalachian Trail partying raises ireWMUR Manchester
    WBUR -ABC News
    all 160 news articles »

More...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Yes it can.

Next question...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Here is a key quote from the article.

“There’s litter at shelters, people leaving used toilet paper right on the trail, hikers throwing used batteries into the fire,” Marion says. “I try to talk to them and they say they don’t care.”
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Things are going to change, they have changed since the 1970s. I was on the trail in 1978 and there was no trail magic, just the goodwill of locals who always gave you a ride, and never asked for a dime. We would have random strangers take us in under their roof in torrential storms, and I even slept under one person's dining room table...bears didn't act like they do now that they have so much more opportunity to prey on hikers... Katahdin was under pressure even then... There's only a couple of reasons to go beyond Millinocket, cutting logs and going to Baxter. If you think about it, a through hiker finishing up north more than likely could have 2,3,4,5 friends and family members meeting them to return them home, and they may not be as LNT as the through hiker. Add in some beer, liquor, weed, etc. and you've got a big party. We did back in the 70s and 80s...My sister did in 2004,

I hate rules and regulations, crowds of idiot hikers, (Kilimanjaro even has it, look how regulated that access is) but it may be time for an ATC sponsored class for prospective throughs with some little emblem to wear, at least then you'll know who has been a good planner and who may be less interested in LNT practices.

Behavior modification like the park administrators are looking for along the AT is done with a large group through long term education and formation of a group consensus. Like I said, I take a more libertarian view of things but there may be good stuff for everyone in a little schooling for these new hikers clamoring to get in the woods.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If we get more older hikers it will improve the trail as they tend to be a lot more responsible.

Ultimately the hurdles to hiking discourage over 90% of the population who want passive recreation.

Does anyone know how many millions Bryson has gotten with his book and rights to the movie??

I'm sure Katz did not get a plug nickel unless Bryson donated money to him: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...katz/71494350/

Images

I must say, I truly fail to understand the persistent criticism in this community directed towards Bill Bryson for profiting from A Walk in the Woods (the book or the movie). If I write a best-selling biography of Abe Lincoln, am I obligated to donate the proceeds to his descendants? If I write a book about any fiction or non-fiction subject at all, or a news article, or make any work of art or reportage, do I have some duty to "give back" the money I make to the subject of that work? Unless the author tells you right up front, "buy this book and I'll donate to X," there cannot possibly be any dishonesty involved. The fact that the AT - or Katz for that matter - were the subject of AWITW is completely irrelevant to whether or not Mr. Bryson is entitled to keep the money he makes from writing about it (or any other subject).

AWITW became an extraordinarily popular, accessible book about the AT for a variety of reasons, chief among them the fact that Bill Bryson is a talented writer and there is a large audience for what he writes. Compared to most other trail books out there, it's one that non-trail people actually want to and enjoy reading. Pulling that off was no mean feat. I'm by no means a vulture capitalist, but I really fail to understand why or how Bill Bryson should not be allowed to profit from the use of his considerable gifts and talents, or that this should be the subject of criticism or complaint.

Jane in CT

Interesting article. I thought the AT overcrowding and thru-hiker criticism was mostly just a phenomenon of WB, but it seems to be a common sentiment throughout the various land administrations.

I don't think this is unique to the AT though. It's not uncommon to see similar disrespect out here on more popular trails. I routinely see used TP, unburied human waste (yes), trash in fire pits, and granola wrappers on backpacking trails; not to mention little sacks of dog ***** on day-hiking trails around the city in addition to the usual tissues and wrappers.

I just don't get it. I mean I get WHY it's happening, but it takes so little effort to bury your own waste and pack out your trash in ziplock bags, I don't get that level of laziness and disregard for other hikers. I think it's all a function of more trail traffic, and an increase in d0uchebag attitudes like "oh, they have crews that clean that up, no one will ever see that, it's just a fire pit", etc. I think the 80/20 rule applies here too. 20% of the people causing 80% of the mess. Regular hikers and backpackers don't treat the trails like that.

Re: the AT, I think it will be regulated in the near future. Probably in the form of mandatory permits or annual limits on thru-hikers.

I was recently sent an article where there were people on the trail making a nuisance of themselves but it did not say whether they were thru hikers, just AT hikers. I guess it depends on how the movie portrays hiking the trail as to whether I will feel concerned or not. I will see it and I'm hoping they stress trail care and LNT so that people who this movie inspires to go, go responsibly. I'm a little more concerned about the AT becoming a venue for record breaking where speed and not the hike or nature is the main purpose. Hopefully my concerns will be proven unfounded.

Article after article says there is a problem. If you have ever looked at an AT shelter and have a brain, you can see there is a problem. Most people see a "push comes to shove" end. The entitled think they will prevail. I just wish there was a way to exclude them. Then we could all work together to address the damage done through ignorance and general use. It is a good thing to get people outside. New hikers will cause damage. Use will cause damage. I believe most are willing to tolerate damage due to use and mistakes as people learn. It is the inflammatory rhetoric from the "I have a right crowd" that is discouraging to those that hope for a sustainable future for the trail. We do not have a right to land that belongs to others. And we certainly don't have a right to trash it when we know better. That is what makes the "I don't care" quote in the article so disturbing. I don't believe the US Geological Survey is making that stuff up. What do they do with that attitude? How can we win with that attitude?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

The good news is that one sees very little of these problems in the Whites.

This is holds true not only along the AT with its caretaker sites, but also on all the other trailsin the WMNF that do not have caretaker sites or any visible "official" presence to speak of.

And many of these trail see a great number of people, to be sure.

I cannot speak with great authority on everywhere else.

Sounds rather ****ed up.

I wonder what is so different up here?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    I must say, I truly fail to understand the persistent criticism in this community directed towards Bill Bryson for profiting from A Walk in the Woods (the book or the movie).

Some just dont like that the book is presented as non-fiction, when they believe a lot of it is fictitious and based on talking to hikers.
    Why anyone would care, I dont know. Whats clear is they resent him being successful and profiting from it.

Wish I had so little other things to worry about that it mattered to me.

Think of it as fiction. Its not bad, and is responsible for introducing thousands to the AT.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-01-2015 at 18:23.

Not being a thru hiker I've always had the standoffish feeling from those my age doing the entire trail. After being in Vermont on LT sections and not feeling comfortable camping because I feel like I'm sleeping in a toilet it's changed the way I see the average mindset. Do I assume 80% of 20-30 year olds on the trail don't carry a trowel or plastic bag for their own use and start being rude to them for ruining land for the people that do their best to cherish it and follow the rules. Something needs to get through the brains of these people because the generations behind them don't seem much better. It looks like all we have going for us is they may end up being so lazy and obese they won't be able to leave the house. And even that's not anything id wish on someone. It's really to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Have not seen it yet. Still will despite the review. But I find it curious that one of the most cited complaints about the movie is that the main characters are too old (at least this reviewer had actually seen the movie before making that complaint). But Bryson was asked this question in the Q&A from the Parade Magazine article on Sunday. He said that the story is about a relationship and age of the characters is not particularly relevant. I appreciate that comment and feel no need to have the movie replicate the actual experience of the author's research.

Journal Entries

I saw it.

Bad acting, bad casting, bad directing, bad script.

There wasnt a single chuckle in it for me.

This is a case of where if you read and enjoyed the book, the movie will be absolutely horrible by comparison.

If you didnt read the book, you might find it better, or at least interesting.

One thing is certain, they didnt pull off Brysons wit and style. Not a single instance, not even close.

It skips around a bit, adds stuff not in the book, and butchers what were good parts of the book
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-01-2015 at 22:38.

Just got back from seeing the movie. My wife and I both enjoyed it and got a few good chuckles out of it. And yes, I've read the book, several times. It's a story about two old friends, with the AT as backdrop. The theater was mostly empty but hey, it's a Tuesday night, and a day before the official release.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    I must say, I truly fail to understand the persistent criticism in this community directed towards Bill Bryson for profiting from A Walk in the Woods (the book or the movie). If I write a best-selling biography of Abe Lincoln, am I obligated to donate the proceeds to his descendants? If I write a book about any fiction or non-fiction subject at all, or a news article, or make any work of art or reportage, do I have some duty to "give back" the money I make to the subject of that work? Unless the author tells you right up front, "buy this book and I'll donate to X," there cannot possibly be any dishonesty involved. The fact that the AT - or Katz for that matter - were the subject of AWITW is completely irrelevant to whether or not Mr. Bryson is entitled to keep the money he makes from writing about it (or any other subject).

AWITW became an extraordinarily popular, accessible book about the AT for a variety of reasons, chief among them the fact that Bill Bryson is a talented writer and there is a large audience for what he writes. Compared to most other trail books out there, it's one that non-trail people actually want to and enjoy reading. Pulling that off was no mean feat. I'm by no means a vulture capitalist, but I really fail to understand why or how Bill Bryson should not be allowed to profit from the use of his considerable gifts and talents, or that this should be the subject of criticism or complaint.

Jane in CT
    I wonder how many people condemning Bryson for "profiting off of the trail" are somehow also apologists for Jurek?
    Last edited by Offshore; 09-02-2015 at 07:50.

NY Times review of the movie: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/mo...iled.html?_r=0

I doubt the movie will draw that many more hikers but may actually act as a deterrent to those not prepared for all the challenges.

Images

In answer to the original question: It already has.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

The movie is garbage. I don't think it will inspire very many to head to the AT

++ New Posts ++