Default Section Hiking Solo Georgia

So I had plans to go from Springer to Winding Gap the beginning of September. I started Friday the 28th and got to Hawk. At the shelter, I was the only one there. I however woke up to find someone else had arrived after I had holed up in my hammock. That was a great relief. The next day I ended at Gooch. Holed up in my hammock, and awoke to find myself still alone. While I love hiking alone, I had assumed there would at least be a few other people in the shelter areas overnight. I thought I would give it one more try and was planning on camping at Woods Hole. I made it to Woods Hole but the guy I ran into along the way that was also planning to camp there changed his mind and decided to take Freeman down to Neels Gap. So the fear of being alone and it being so windy and chilly convinced me to follow. Got to Mountain Crossings and the hostel was closed. So I gave up and called someone to come get me. Of course now I regret it. I am planning to day hike the Blood Mountain part I missed but then want to try to finish Neels to Winding Gap. My questions are 1. What would be the best time to do this part where it's not extremely crowded but I am not the only one out there and 2.) how does one get over the fear of being out their totally and completely alone. It's just way to hard to convince anyone to go with me and the groups that I have seen that do these hikes are either large or have so many rules (like experienced backpackers only). That was my first time and I think I did pretty well but still wouldn't consider myself experienced.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Hey ShadowSoul, You're on the right track, it's a matter of timing. You, I think, want to be 'on the trail' when there are plenty of people around, but not too many. It's fun to have a little company. May and June are both good times to hike the Section you're talking about, then logically the 'best timing' changes as you move North. You probably want to be just after (or just ahead of) the peak thru-hiking crowd. Talk with the folks at whatever Hostels are located where you are planning to hike, and they can help you with the timing. Tell them what you're trying to accomplish. Happy hiking.
    virgil

I have done 2 over-nighters (different years) in the same section you hiked in mid-October (Columbus Day week) and had plenty of company, plus cooler temps.

I've hiked AFSP to Woody Gap several times, mostly in the spring and fall. I've always had company. I suspect the start of the school year might have limited the trail traffic.

I'm a solo hiker and enjoy the social aspect of camping in or around the shelters at the end of the day.

IMHO, just like a lot of other things, getting over the fear of being alone at a shelter or campsite comes with doing it anyway. I was nervous at first, even car camping without friends and family at a campground full of other people (many, many years ago), mostly because of "everyone" saying "aren't you afraid?". It got to the point that I started car camping at odd times of the week and year, trying to get that feeling of isolation and being on my own in the woods. That's when I decided that it was time to try backpacking. The first hike I did on the AT, in May in Virginia, I stayed at two shelters with the same guy both nights, and that was nice. The second hike, in September in Georgia, I stayed at a shelter one night with one person, the second night alone, and the third night I tented alone. All were great, but I have to say the second and third nights were so peaceful and relaxed, I was hooked. I do carry a little more gear than some, trying to make sure that I'm covered in an emergency until someone comes along, and I have met some really great people out there, but I do love the peace and serenity of being alone at night.

Section Hiker

I did all of GA alone and sometimes I had company in camp, sometimes not. While I enjoy hiking alone more than not, I'm not afraid of being alone in the evening, it's just kinda of boring.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I'm with you, but for slightly different reasons. I'm headed out from AFSP to Neels the week after Labor Day. I'm expecting it to be sparsely populated. I had an incident with some bears a few years ago, so I'm not real comfortable with solo camping in an area where neophyte trekkers practice poor bear discipline.

I figure there's nothing to do but to do it and learn (on a deep level -- not just an intellectual level) that it turns out OK. Growth happens on the trail. Shucks, even my incident turned out OK. It ruined that trip, but I'm still here, so it musta turned out OK.

OTOH, if you want a do-over for the week I'm going, let me know!

Thank ya'll very much for all the advice. I will definitely try again. Heading back to work early so I can save my days for the next time.

Section Hiker

ShadowSoul, if you're interested I make videos of all my hikes and have most of GA covered here, except for the first 12 miles which is buried in a vacation video with my then 10-year-old son (just never posted that one):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4...JgIFjm8kl5Dncw

You can do it, just remember that trying is NEVER a failure and even if you leave a hike early, that doesn't mean you're giving up.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Hey ShadowSoul! I hiked from a Springer to Tensatee gap in Late April alone and I was never alone at any of the shelters I stayed at (Hawk Mountain, Gooch and woods Hole). Many people were still starting their thru hikes so there were lots of people around and I always felt safe. it was my first time as well. My only bad night was my last one where I miscalculated the distance and wound up tenting at tensatee gap which was just a parking lot and not a campsite (I have now gotten the AWOL AT Guide so that won't happen again haha). It was scary but I'm glad I did it. I'm planning on finishing Georgia and getting through as much as I can in NC next year at around the same time if you want to meet up, let meet know. April is a good time of year to go I think since there are tons of people but it's not too cold or warm. But it does rain on occaision. Good luck on your hike!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++