WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Should this Bear die?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

The woman who shot the video is an idiot of the highest order for letting the bears come so close to start with. She should be banned from hiking anyplace with wildlife--she is a danger to herself and to others (since her stupidity is going to get some bears killed).

Looks like the bears were more interested in running off and climbing a tree, than hurting her. I think she is mostly at fault for not attempting to scare the bears away so that they learn to fear humans. Looks like the one bear has 2 ear tags, so this certainly isn't it's first time seeing one.

Honestly, I don't know enough about bear psychology and the history of this area to make a responsible decision. Euthanizing the bear seems harsh, at the surface, with no evidence of aggression. I have a similar photo of an arctic ground squire and my wife's leg (think, very small bear?). Denali National Park didn't seem to think the squirrel needed to be euthanized. ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Gun! Sorry, meant to shout BEAR!

Bear are an unknown factor. Forest Service fails to warn about killer bears and kid gets killed by bear, even though there haven't been a bear attack previously in that area. It's simple protect your ass and kill the nosey bear else your agency is reckless and liable. Not a hard call for the agency to make.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    The woman who shot the video is an idiot of the highest order for letting the bears come so close to start with. She should be banned from hiking anyplace with wildlife--she is a danger to herself and to others (since her stupidity is going to get some bears killed).
    Unfortunately, the woman is not an expert on bear behavior and how best to face down a bruin when it suddenly appears. Given these are pretty much suburban groomed trails with lots of people on them at any given time, bears may be around but are generally not seen. She was rather frightened as she filmed the event, which you can hear her say at some point, "Someone will know what happened" as she filmed. That event gave DEEP Wardens the opportunity to see the bear actions and make the determination the bear needed to be destroyed. Given the two red tags in its ears, it has a prior history of being a problem bear.

Had she run from the animal it could have triggered it to chase, had she threatened the bear with movements toward it the fight reflex could have been triggered. About all she could have done is talked loudly to it, which is against most people's impressions of how to sooth an animal using a low, quiet voice.

Frankly, I think most people who are not habituated to bears would make a similar try in using a softer voice before running from it and causing a chase.

I would really like to see some form of fine or penalty levied against Stephanie Rivkin for endangering the life of the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    .... About all she could have done is talked loudly to it, which is against most people's impressions of how to sooth an animal using a low, quiet voice. ....
    Did you watch the 3 minute video posted 1/2 down the page? There is definite much more she could have done to change this interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Did you watch the 3 minute video posted 1/2 down the page? There is definite much more she could have done to change this interaction.
    That presumes she has knowledge of how to fend off a bear. Though I doubt once it started she had a lot of control over it, the bear has been a problem bear for a while and was continuing its line of work.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

People in the suburbs sure do like to have nature sanitized for their consumption...

Even as a hunter I don't like the idea of people killing an animal out of fear or paranoia, and especially not when it's the authorities carrying it out.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have read elsewhere that this bear has had a history of similar actions towards other hikers. If what I read is true, and based on this video, I'd say yes. The lady sure acted like an idiot, but this bear has lost any fear of humans. Worse, the bear has a history of like incidents.

With the above assumption that this was not the first time this bear has had a similar encounter, I have no problem with the decision. If I were hiking in that area, I would feel safer knowing that bear was no longer in the area.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    That presumes she has knowledge of how to fend off a bear. Though I doubt once it started she had a lot of control over it, the bear has been a problem bear for a while and was continuing its line of work.
    I think we watched different videos.

Dumb ass didn't even try to scare them off! Bear didn't do sh**!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I have read elsewhere that this bear has had a history of similar actions towards other hikers. If what I read is true, and based on this video, I'd say yes. The lady sure acted like an idiot, but this bear has lost any fear of humans. Worse, the bear has a history of like incidents.

With the above assumption that this was not the first time this bear has had a similar encounter, I have no problem with the decision. If I were hiking in that area, I would feel safer knowing that bear was no longer in the area.
    I suppose what irks me is the feeling I have that if she reported the incident without the video, they probably wouldn't have chosen this course of action.

Images

If she was so in fear for her life why did she keep filming? This bugs me big time. Stupid people and now a Bear will die for her stupidity. smh

Images

The bear had ear tags - why - was this from previous encounters? either way,
    The lady should be heavily fined for her part - she actively encouraged the bear - and she should be made to watch as they put sown this beautiful creature. She should be made responsible for his demise.

From what I read, the bear was tagged because of previous (more than 1) encounters with other hikers. They had marked it as a problem bear.

I am not defending this hiker's stupidity. She was stupid, very stupid even, but she did not cause this bear to die. This bear had problems with hikers before this hiker was around. If left alive, will likely continue to have problems with hikers in the future. She certainly did this bear no favors nor herself for that matter with her actions that day, but sooner or later this would have been an inevitable outcome for this bear given this bear's history (if what I read was correct- that this bear had 3-4 similar incidents with other hikers).

If a bear was stalking me like that, I'd ***** my pants. Of course, maybe if she acted properly, the bear would have ran away, but given the history, maybe it wouldn't. I think there is only one choice with a bear with this history (again assuming what I read was correct).
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

The bear is even believed to have entered a home?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    People in the suburbs sure do like to have nature sanitized for their consumption...

Even as a hunter I don't like the idea of people killing an animal out of fear or paranoia, and especially not when it's the authorities carrying it out.
    This particular bear has a history of problem activity and has been relocated. Its certainly not something it just started doing or they would relocate it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++