WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I was up there in '81 and remember a couple hippies laying down on the ground smoking pot on the summit and looking up at a cloud formation that was descending down on them and one of them saying to the other something to the effect, "Dude, we're being descended upon".

What was funny is that there really was a cloud formation descending on them, I saw it also. It was kind of strange, because it was a sunny, cloudless day (I got the worst sunburn in my life on that day...another story...).

Images

Has this subject set a new record for the most number of separate threads all talking/whining about the same subject? Well, I guess that would be tent threads, but still...

Anyway, being a complete outsider with regards to Maine, the only state I have yet to set foot in, I'm pretty soured by the whole thing. I was soooooo looking forward to visiting Maine and enjoying what folks have said was the very best of the AT. Now I just want to get it done and get out of there. So, this Bissell clown has created severe negative publicity not only for BSP but for Maine overall, at least for myself but probably for many others.

With regards to changing the terminus of the AT: I guess for "our generation" who really cares? Would any AT hiker NOT summit Katahdin after his thru hike? I think not. Authorities might remove Katahdin from the official trail (though I doubt this highly), but BSP cannot exclude thru hikers from climbing Katahdin. The ATC or whoever can say that the AT now ends at ABOL, but again, who really cares?????

Myself, I'll be finishing my AT quest here next month (Gorham--->KAtahdin) and I now do not plan on spending any time whatsoever in BSP other than what it takes to climb Katahdin. My wife and I will simply climb the Big K as a long day hike and get the phu&k out of there. However, we will certainly enjoy a nice celebratory frosty beverage on the summit (being ultra careful not to spill a drop lest we attract those killer bees!), and if we receive any citations (and I hope we do), I will promptly save mine for the next time I take a dump and use it as TP.

^^ So you start you post by whining about all the other silly, whining posts and continue with yet another silly, whining post. Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Has this subject set a new record for the most number of separate threads all talking/whining about the same subject? Well, I guess that would be tent threads, but still...

Anyway, being a complete outsider with regards to Maine, the only state I have yet to set foot in, I'm pretty soured by the whole thing. I was soooooo looking forward to visiting Maine and enjoying what folks have said was the very best of the AT. Now I just want to get it done and get out of there. So, this Bissell clown has created severe negative publicity not only for BSP but for Maine overall, at least for myself but probably for many others.

With regards to changing the terminus of the AT: I guess for "our generation" who really cares? Would any AT hiker NOT summit Katahdin after his thru hike? I think not. Authorities might remove Katahdin from the official trail (though I doubt this highly), but BSP cannot exclude thru hikers from climbing Katahdin. The ATC or whoever can say that the AT now ends at ABOL, but again, who really cares?????

Myself, I'll be finishing my AT quest here next month (Gorham--->KAtahdin) and I now do not plan on spending any time whatsoever in BSP other than what it takes to climb Katahdin. My wife and I will simply climb the Big K as a long day hike and get the phu&k out of there. However, we will certainly enjoy a nice celebratory frosty beverage on the summit (being ultra careful not to spill a drop lest we attract those killer bees!), and if we receive any citations (and I hope we do), I will promptly save mine for the next time I take a dump and use it as TP.
    Oh brother... just when you think the whining and primate chest beatings were done

The folks of Maine have now had a collective sign of relief that someone who has never been in the state and apparently has already made up his mind that he going to have a bad time will still grace the state with his patronage.

Of course unless he wants to do the really long day hike in and out via Abol bridge, he will be paying the road fee to the BSP park authority and the day use parking fee thus contributing to the evil empire. If he will supply the park his name and contact info they can ban him in advance and that will assist him in his self aggrandizement.

Whatever you think of Bissell or his motives, he doesn't set the rules for Baxter, but is in charge of enforcing them. If the requirement is no alcohol on the mountain, why would you deliberately flout the rule just to be able to crow about it? And, by the way, if cited, as you profess to want, you'll just be adding ammunition for those who want to eliminate Katahdin as the terminus. Isn't summitting Katahdin enough of an accomplishment without adding a "frosty beverage"?

I will be forwarding this post to BSP a few days before you arrive. Thanks for the heads up.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    Isn't the Maine Governor the one with the ultimate say on Katahdin policy with the legislature? He's is sounding like an overpopulation zealot, he should be thrilled so many people are getting more fit and do his best to make that experience more open instead of less so.

No. Bissell answers to the Baxter State Park Authority which is made of the Maine Attorney General, the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and the Director of the Maine Forest Service (Authority Chair)

I'm quite shocked by the severity of colorado_rob's response. I would hope that a hiker could go without alcohol for a day or 2 in Baxter park, and celebrate in a more appropriate place. I would hope that a hiker would want to help protect delicate areas, particularly above tree line. As far as the " no one can tell me what to do" attitude, well there are police and such authorities that can tell you what not to do. Push the attitude far enough and you end up in jail. I'm sorry that parts of hiking makes you so angry. I hope you find peace somewhere.

I hear that Baxter is a rare piece of beautiful wilderness. I hope that your attitude does not prevent you from enjoying at least part of it. If you are angry so be it, but please join the rest of us in helping to protect Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'm quite shocked by the severity of colorado_rob's response. I would hope that a hiker could go without alcohol for a day or 2 in Baxter park, and celebrate in a more appropriate place. I would hope that a hiker would want to help protect delicate areas, particularly above tree line. As far as the " no one can tell me what to do" attitude, well there are police and such authorities that can tell you what not to do. Push the attitude far enough and you end up in jail. I'm sorry that parts of hiking makes you so angry. I hope you find peace somewhere.
    Some folks have little concern beyond their own goals, surprising given the community, but there it is.

Down here in Georgia a female newspaper reporter called the DNR about park use. Picnic? Yes. Alcohol? As long as you don't cause problems, yes. Sex? You know, we have to draw the line somewhere.
    Except for Blood Mountain here I've hardly seen anyone walking in the woods. But Blood appears to draw day clueless hikers who think water fountains await them at the summit. I would bet they cause more problems than through hikers. And I bet that is true for the north end, too. Georgia keeps riffraff out with user fees. Works here and should in Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raising the fees should be to cover expenses not discourage use as long as the rules are being followed within reason. But as I remember Baxter state gate fees were a little high and a bit of a deterrent. MASS state campgrounds raised their rates to $20 a site, they were $14 last year, no real limit on size of the family or group or extra charge though. CT is $17 or $20 depending on the campground, $10 extra per site for out of staters. Monadnock, the #1 use park with a mountain in the NE supposedly was charging $25 a site for camping. The national forest campgrounds vary from the primitive ones that are free to $10 and more; the original intent of the national forest was maximum benefit to the greater citizenry. No doubt Baxter state is a little special but those wanting an outdoor recreational opportunity have many, many options in every state.

I am upset and disappointed that a member of this forum would publicly state that he is prepared to ignore BSP rules and do as he pleases. This coming from someone who has almost completed the trail. As the trail community braces for the Bryson effect, these should be the last people that need encouragement to do the right thing. Mr. Bissell may not been very diplomatic in his response to recent events, but he has made people notice. And by the way I am sure BSP could care less if people from Colorado or anywhere else choose not to visit, that will help them address overcrowding.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I am upset and disappointed that a member of this forum would publicly state that he is prepared to ignore BSP rules and do as he pleases....
    There was probably some hyperbole in CR's post. I see it as more of a statement of anger with regard to the character assassination that played out so very recently, not to mention it underpinnings.

In any event, though I don't know for sure, my guess is that many of us rely on our spouses to keep us walking the line. For now I see frustration not an action plan.

Too many people forget that Scott was one of us-- in the very best way. I expect CR is too, and from all his posts also in the very best way.

If CR is serious, I hope he writes his own letter from the piscatauqua county jail. It's been a while since we have seen one.

So, this Bissell clown has created severe negative publicity not only for BSP but for Maine overall, at least for myself but probably for many others.

I agree with the term "clown" for describing Bissell. Most apt. Bissell should have stayed with mops and never got into the business of park management. The Peter Principle in spades.

The real element, in my mind anyhow, is Katahdin being the northern terminus of the AT forces (stated or unstated) an additional responsibility whether Bissell comprehends this or not. All Bissell wants to do is get rid of the people PARTICULARLY the AT hikers.

Bissell's motives are to get more money without more backlash -- he's making AT hikers the sacrificial lamb to succeed in his quest. It has nothng to do with AT hikers at all -- this is about The Clown wanting more money. If it wasn't AT hikers it would be the stagering growth of blue fungus that is ravaging the park that needs more money (and Bissell's mind for that matter).

Fortunately, Bissell's want will soon be satisfied and Bissell will get off his horse and back down under the rock where he belongs. Things will then return to normal until the next rotation of approaches on how to get more money.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    I agree with the term "clown" for describing Bissell. Most apt. Bissell should have stayed with mops and never got into the business of park management. The Peter Principle in spades.

The real element, in my mind anyhow, is Katahdin being the northern terminus of the AT forces (stated or unstated) an additional responsibility whether Bissell comprehends this or not. All Bissell wants to do is get rid of the people PARTICULARLY the AT hikers.

Bissell's motives are to get more money without more backlash -- he's making AT hikers the sacrificial lamb to succeed in his quest. It has nothng to do with AT hikers at all -- this is about The Clown wanting more money. If it wasn't AT hikers it would be the stagering growth of blue fungus that is ravaging the park that needs more money (and Bissell's mind for that matter).

Fortunately, Bissell's want will soon be satisfied and Bissell will get off his horse and back down under the rock where he belongs. Things will then return to normal until the next rotation of approaches on how to get more money.

Datto
    Wow, entitled much? I don't think BSP wants you there at all. You can stay home. I'm sure Baxter State Park will get along fine without you. You keep your money in your pocket and in your state. Let those of us who care about maintaining Baxter State Park in a "forever wild" state worry about how we will get along without all the money flowing in from through hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Wow, entitled much?
    Ha, yeah those customer types are such a nusance. Let's just get rid of these customer people and let the clown do whatever he wants with his mouth.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I don't think BSP wants you there at all. You can stay home.
    Maybe we can build a wall around Maine for you with spare funds? Armed guards with inspection and frisking authority. Only at the toll gates though,

Thru-hiker 2020: "Someone's going to have to go back and get a sload of dimes."

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Maybe we can build a wall around Maine for you with spare funds? Armed guards with inspection and frisking authority. Only at the toll gates though,

Thru-hiker 2020: "Someone's going to have to go back and get a sload of dimes."

Datto
    Well, that trumps Bissels plan.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++